Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Hi-Com The Best Game Collection dumps

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
Hi-Com The Best Game Collection dumps
Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:05 pm
Last edited by Bock on Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Today is the first time we formally release dumps from unlicensed xx-in-1 cartridges! Not that their existence are lacking, but they typically comes with dumping and emulation issues and tend to stay at the end of priority list. I have recently stumbled on a stash of 5 Korean Master System compilations and decided to put some work on them. Adding that to another 4 of the same series I could access in Hokkaido in 2011, we've got a total of 9 cartridges from the same series!

Hi-Com The Best Game Collection series for the Samsung Gam*Boy / Sega Master System.

Those cartridges were released in Korea by Hi-Com in 1990. As it is often the case with unlicensed Korean products, their packaging are rather bland and inconsistent, making it hard to guess how many variants were released.

3-in-1 menus

8-in-1 menus

Curiously, the 8-in-1 ROMs are built in such manner that they can be split in half and function as two standalone 4-in-1 ROMs with their own menu. I haven't however spotted those released as cartridge in the wild yet, but they might exists.

Here's a full list of the games contained in each cartridge:

Hi-Com 3-in-1 The Best Game Collection A
- Hang On
- Pit Pot
- Spy vs Spy

Hi-Com 3-in-1 The Best Game Collection B
- Great Baseball
- Great Soccer
- Super Tennis

Hi-Com 3-in-1 The Best Game Collection C
- Teddy Boy Blues
- Pit-Pot
- Astro Flash

Hi-Com 3-in-1 The Best Game Collection D
- Teddy Boy Blues
- Great Soccer
- Comical Machine Gun Joe

Hi-Com 3-in-1 The Best Game Collection E
- Ghost House
- Teddy Boy Blues
- Seishun Scandal

Hi-Com 3-in-1 The Best Game Collection F
- Satellite-7
- Great Baseball
- Seishun Scandal

Hi-Com 8-in-1 The Best Game Collection A
- Hyper Sports 2
- Champion Boxing
- Safari Race
- Astro Flash
- Monkey Academy
- Star Force
- Bank Panic
- Teddy Boy

Hi-Com 8-in-1 The Best Game Collection B
- King's Valley
- Ghost House
- Sega-Galaga
- Monaco GP
- Magical Tree
- Ninja Princess
- Satellite-7
- Hang-On

Hi-Com 8-in-1 The Best Game Collection C
- Athletic Land
- Super Tank
- Bomb Jack
- Hyper Sports
- Circus Charlie
- Exerion
- Great Baseball
- Yie Ar Kung-Fu

The dumps are currently emulated by Meka 2014-12-15 and by the latest version of Emulicious. More emulators will probably come in support shortly. Technical information about their mapping system can be found in this discussion thread.

• Site Admin
Temporary Transitional Attachment Fairy
Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:07 pm
This message will auto destruct itself someday.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:00 pm
Thanks Bock. Includes a pair of games I don't think have been released before; Athletic Land and Monkey Academy.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:26 pm
Yes, those two are new in the SG/SMS collection.
Post Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:43 pm
support for these carts has been added to MESS as well, in current github
thanks a lot for dumping them, Bock
Post Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:51 pm
hello everyone. i have one of these carts, but i play it on my sega genesis 3 (pirate with region selector and hz) ,it has 3 in 1 for every menu and 4 menues totallying 12 games. I dont have the original cover because i found the pcb only. I was wondering if the cart itself is a sms native or genesis, and thats why i post this here, the seller gave it to me as a sega genesis game. Sorry if it's not the section for making questions, im noob.
Regards from Argentina.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:32 pm
Could you post a picture of it? What are the games?
Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:47 pm
BKK wrote
Thanks Bock. Includes a pair of games I don't think have been released before; Athletic Land and Monkey Academy.

as far as i tried, i could extract Monkey Academy and Exerion from a bash script like this: http://pastebin.com/d8aGECqh (and then checking one by one! :D )

Athletic Land i couldn’t (as 16kb or 32kb splits) - perhaps these games doesn’t use memory banks in a sequence (i didn’t try to decompile any of the roms yet)
Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:34 pm
nitrofurano wrote
BKK wrote

as far as i tried, i could extract Monkey Academy and Exerion from a bash script like this: http://pastebin.com/d8aGECqh (and then checking one by one! :D )

Athletic Land i couldn’t (as 16kb or 32kb splits) - perhaps these games doesn’t use memory banks in a sequence (i didn’t try to decompile any of the roms yet)

You just need to edit the first byte from C3 to F3, Athletic Land (and every other game that I've tried) works then, including on actual hardware with a Master Everdrive.
Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:24 pm
BKK wrote
nitrofurano wrote
BKK wrote

You just need to edit the first byte from C3 to F3, Athletic Land (and every other game that I've tried) works then, including on actual hardware with a Master Everdrive.

i tried now without success (i confess i didn’t try enough)

anyway, i guess http://www.smspower.org/Tags/MSXPort and http://www.smspower.org/Tags/LegacyVideo must be updated! ;)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:04 pm
We are only adding original releases, not homebrew-internet-era hacks there.
Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:38 pm
nitrofurano wrote
BKK wrote
nitrofurano wrote
BKK wrote

i tried now without success (i confess i didn’t try enough)

anyway, i guess http://www.smspower.org/Tags/MSXPort and http://www.smspower.org/Tags/LegacyVideo must be updated! ;)

For Athletic Land, just open it up in a hex editor, copy the first 32kb to a new file, and edit the first byte to F3 from C3.

Bock wrote
We are only adding original releases, not homebrew-internet-era hacks there.

Maybe we can start a MSX To SMS hacks page. I've had quite a bit of success with nitrofurano's MSX hack transplant.
MSX to SMS hacks.
Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:31 am
Yeah, Athletic Land being ported to SG/SMS format would be great. I really like the Aaronix Cabbage Patch Kids port to the SG-1000. Far better than the Colecovision version.

Are these issues with porting common for Konami games by chance? I hear you can get the DahJee and other RAM expanded games to work on emulators and actual SMS (with Everdrive) by changing file extension.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!