Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Tails Adventure - SMS Deluxe (Update - v1.5c)

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Post Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:01 pm
freezingicekirby wrote
Update Time!

Changes in v1.5 include...

- The Flicky on the right side of the screen during the intro has been relocated.

- Some of the terrain during the intro has also been altered to accommodate the above change.

- The credits screen itself was altered to hide the characters when they walk/fly off the background.

- Credits background was widened one tile.

- The text during the credits was updated once again.

- Tails' graphics were altered slightly.

Again, thanks to Calindro for helping with some parts of this. Thanks go to Supper, too, who indirectly helped make these credits changes possible with that information he provided to me some months ago!

As per the usual, all comments and feedback are greatly appreciated! The updated patch will be attached to the first post... but for archiving's sake, I am going to upload ALL the versions here, just so they're available.

Enjoy!

============

I stated before that this will probably be the final update... but I wouldn't go holding my breath on that one. Chances are, I'm going to go back and tinker with it again some day... perhaps fix up some graphics or try to change something yet again with Mr. Hex Editor, who knows.

But for now, I'm going to call this project finished at this time because, truth be told, there really isn't anything else I can nor want to do with it. Sure, there are other things I've thought about looking into, but to be honest... I think I've done more than enough to the game. Besides, this project went much farther than I ever thought possible, and to tell you the truth... I'm very satisfied with the results. Outside of some minor remaining issues here and there... I really do believe it feels like a natural Sega Master System game now.

Besides that, I think it's about time I move on from this, anyway. I don't mean that negatively, of course... but I really need to shift my focus on another project I've been trying to take on for the last six years, and I'm starting to feel like I might finally be ready to tackle it. (I guess one of the reasons I haven't done so in the past is because of a severe lack of confidence... and probably other reasons, but I imagine that's one of the bigger ones). It is a rather important project, one that might even help get me into the kind of career I'd like to see myself take on in my future... but who knows what'll happen even if I do complete it, so I'll just let fate take its course from there.

Let me just state that the project's not being abandoned or anything, but to reiterate, I am calling it finished from this point on. Anything else will just be adding sprinkles on a finished cake, in a manner of speaking. With that said, I'll still keep an eye on this topic (I will receive an email for every reply), and should any issues rise up or you guys have any questions or comments, I'll be sure to reply as soon as possible.

(And if anyone wants to continue my efforts, by all means ask me and I'll provide all the files and notes I made up to this point. I won't be selfish and keep it all to myself... if anyone can continue improving this game, then I'm certainly all for it!)

So yet again, thanks to everyone who helped me improve this patch, and I hope you enjoy! It's been fun!

If any of you mods want, free to add my patch into whichever hacks section you see fit.

One more time, BRAVISSIMO!

If it is possible as you did before, can you release the final version but with password save instead?
Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:11 pm
Here you go.

Just keep in mind that, because I never intended for the Password screen to be seen, I haven't touched any of its graphics at all. As such, there's that row of garbage that used to be on the Tails' House and Credits scene, and the main menu/Tails' House menu still says Load and Save. Otherwise, all other changes in version 1.5 are present and it should work and look like the non-password version.

(Perhaps if I've got some free time later, I'll look into fixing these issues for the Password version.)
Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:16 pm
freezingicekirby wrote
Here you go.

Just keep in mind that, because I never intended for the Password screen to be seen, I haven't touched any of its graphics at all. As such, there's that row of garbage that used to be on the Tails' House and Credits scene, and the main menu/Tails' House menu still says Load and Save. Otherwise, all other changes in version 1.5 are present and it should work and look like the non-password version.

(Perhaps if I've got some free time later, I'll look into fixing these issues for the Password version.)

Thanks a lot!
Post Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:58 am
Whoops... there was an error in the file I posted. Apologies for that.

This should do the trick.
TASMSD - Password.zip (181.81 KB)
Tails Adventure - SMS Deluxe Patch 1.5 Password Edition (Fixed)

Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:08 pm
Just popping in to say well done on a fantastic project.

Things like this make me happy that I'm a geek!

Thanks so much for your hard work and thanks also for sharing that hard work. :)
Post Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:44 pm
I have tried to make a physical cartridge of this game with ichigobankai's pcbs, but it impossible.
Neither the v1.5 with save fram version than the v1.5 version with password work on my master system. The console says "System error".

EDIT: the v1.3 version works on these pcbs, with 512KB memmories
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:13 pm
It's probably just a checksum error. Check the header.
Post Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:04 pm
Maxim wrote
It's probably just a checksum error. Check the header.

How can I do that? I mean...I use the IPS patch on my Tails Adventure EUR rom, then the 1024KB rom is created. What is the next step for doing that about the checksum?

EDIT: alright, I have seen a tutorial, and it seems the checksum is bad (but the Kega emulator opened it before, xD). I have corrected it, and I will write the memory after.

EDIT 2: YEAH!!!! It was that!!! I have now a fully functional Tails Adventure v1.5 with FRAM save!!!!

kq9eq2gl.jpg (48.22 KB)
Attachment fairy
kq9eq2gl.jpg

Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:16 pm
Nice ;)
Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:17 pm
ichigobankai wrote
Nice ;)

All thanks to you. I have made my 3 final games: Tails Adventure, Sonic Triple Trouble and Sonic Blast.
Ideas for the future
Post Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:03 am
There are some ideas I feel will greatly improve the experience and make it more accessible as well. For one, once you gain the Speed Boots, you could have it where you can run by double-tapping left or right (a la Kirby), whether you have the Speed Boots currently equipped or not. A second would be a "quick menu" access, which you could, for example, press UP plus Button 1 and 2 at the same time, and pause the game/access the menu, saving us from having to use the pause button on the console (even though that method of pausing could still be functional if you please).
Post Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:07 pm
Tails Adventure is Great ! HUGE Thanks !

But it cant be finished on a Everdrive X3 :(

There are alot of Pause/Start Button Fixes out there for the mega drive joypad but Tails Advenure really needs one.

Please help us poor Everdrive X3 users. help
Post Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:32 pm
For some reason, email alerts for this topic have been going to my spam box, so I didn't see the replies until now. One of these days, I really gotta stop using Outlook...

@ Tailsnic

Ahh, sorry to hear the patch gave you some trouble! I'm glad to see you were able to resolve your issue though, so that's good to hear. But now I can't help but wonder... do I need to include the modified header into the patch so this doesn't happen to anyone else? I've still got all the original files I used while working on the patch, so as long as someone points me in the right direction (regarding what to change), I can do it if it needs to be done.

@ Bluestreak

Your suggestions are nice, but I wouldn't even know where to begin to implement those things. Hell, I had a hard enough time just trying to change the location of a door on the world map with a Hex Editor (which I never would've figured out had someone not helped me), so I can't imagine I'm up to creating and inserting new code to modify how the game operates. You'll have to find someone a lot more knowledgeable (read: Smarter) than I am for that. lol

(If there's one thing I'd like to do, outside of the aforementioned modified header, it's that I want to try to figure out how I can get Supper's new Hotswap item system working in-conjunction with the GG2SMS patch. Buuuuuut... yet again, that requires the hex editor, and that stuff's usually way over my head. I do have a very lazy theory regarding how I can get it to work though, so... who knows, maybe a v1.6 could happen one day.)

@ AGES

And as much as I hate to say it, much like the above, I wouldn't even know where to begin with this sort of thing, either. All I can suggest is that you go searching around for someone who might know a thing or two about what you're asking for, and hope they can modify it into the patch for you. I know that's not the answer you were hoping for, so my apologies on that.
Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:01 am
Hello freezingicekirby

With your permission I added this function, (Megadrive Pad "Start" Button hack) to your last version.

I added V1.5"b"

Tails Adventures V1.5b Deluxe

- Requires Megadrive Pad, "Start" button or "Pause" is "START"
- Fixed Checksum
- Apply patch to original ROM
- Credits go to freezingicekirby
- Megadrive Pad programming hack by BcnAbel76

Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:57 am
Ahh, awesome! Thanks for taking up the task, BcnAbel76!

I'll go ahead and add your patch to the first post then, just in case anyone else out there needs it, too.
Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:49 am
Thats ok Mr. Kirby.

I just thought i ask you first for it.
But thats ok.

Maybe i find a person that can do the MegaDrive Start Button Mod for Tails Adventure.

Huge Thanks for all youre hard work anyway Mr. Kirby.
Greetings
AGES
Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:36 pm
Hello freezingicekirby,

I've got an idea for unify patches about Megadrive/Master System Pad in your game and more games.

Boot game or reset console with Megadrive Pad "START" button pressed if you want play with Megadrive PAD, if not then Master System Pad

If you think it is correct I'll upload final version

AGES, megadrive pad patch already done
Post Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:40 pm
Is there a possibly way to detect the megadrive pad automatically? Of course, then you'd need a place to store 2 bits of data with the padtype for both pads.
Post Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:47 pm
@ BcnAbel76

If you want to try doing that, then by all means go ahead.
Post Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:29 pm
I was testing and learning, in life we always are learning ;)

Now Megadrive Pad function is better it detects automatically on game boots, if MD pad is plugged or not, then play in Megadrive or Master System Pad Mode

YEAH !!!!
Post Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:24 pm
Dang, that's pretty awesome! Great work there!

Let me know when you've finished and I'll certainly add it to the first post.
Post Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:57 pm
Yes, thankyou!
Now ;)

Tails Adventures 1.5c DELUXE

- Automatic Pad Selection:

Init game, booting before SEGA logo if Megadrive Pad is plugged then you hear a BEEP, it confirms you Megadrive Pad Mode is selected.
START is Megadrive "START" button.

Else Master System Pad Mode is selected.
START is "PAUSE" button

- Fixed Checksum
- Credits go to freezingicekirby
- Programming Automatic Pad Selection by BcnAbel76
- Enjoy!

Post Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:50 pm
(Sorry, found myself a bit busy last night. Didn't meant to take so long getting to this!)

Alrighty, I went ahead and updated the first post so that it includes your patch. I put it in the zip folder I made, as well as updated the ReadMe and Change Log to give you credit for what you did.

Again, big thanks for doing all of this, BcnAbel76! I really appreciate it! :)
Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:51 pm
Thats so nice from you (T_T) Thank you very much !
Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:50 pm
Not at all, it is a pleasure.

freezingicekirby good job! Thanks for include me in your credits.

AGES, and many people can enjoy now this game better ;)
cover art
Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:05 pm
Has anyone created clamshell cover art for this release yet?

I am not talented with making anything.
Post Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:54 am
To be honest, I was tempted to make one at some point... can't remember why I decided not to now.

I can't promise anything, but maybe I can look around for some images and see if I can patch together something that'll do the job (I do know my way around Photoshop, so it shouldn't be too hard).
Post Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:47 am
Last edited by freezingicekirby on Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Well, I tried to imitate the Master System cover art as best as I could (using the Sonic the Hedgehog cover as a reference). Hopefully it's good enough for anyone wanting one.

The image should be 3000x1840. I've no idea if it's the correct aspect size since this is my first time making one of these. If it's wrong, by all means do let me know.

EDIT - Moved to page 1
Post Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:54 am
It's well done, but it's based on the North American Game Gear boxart, logo and description. It would be more accurate and faithful to what a commercial release would have probably been if the European Game Gear equivalents would be used instead.
Post Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:31 pm
This is perfect! Thanks. Now I just need a gg aleste cover and I am set.

Thanks again
Post Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:58 pm
@ace3093 No problem, glad you like it!

@Wesker Admittedly, the NA box art was all I could find while Google searching last night, so I just went with that. Fortunately, I just now discovered there are scans of the European box art here on this site, so I'll make an alternate version a bit later (I'll keep the old one hosted, just in case anyone prefers it).

I'll be a bit busy today, so it might take a while before I can get it made.
Post Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:22 pm
That sounds great. Thank you for taking it into account.
Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:36 pm
Last edited by freezingicekirby on Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alrighty, here we go. It took a bit of time because I couldn't find a hi-res version of the logo, so I had to retrace the whole thing from scratch (fortunately, that was easy enough to do). I also decided to include all seven descriptions, since someone took the time to type them all out and it was easy enough to copy and paste (thanks, whoever you are!)

Hope you EU boys like it~

EDIT - Moved to page 1
Post Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:48 pm
Nice work! Thank you!
Post Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:41 pm
No problem!

I went ahead and moved both covers to the first page, just so they'd be easier to find. A̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶s̶e̶c̶r̶e̶t̶l̶y̶ ̶f̶i̶x̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶a̶n̶n̶o̶y̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶y̶p̶o̶ ̶I̶ ̶m̶a̶d̶e̶ ̶b̶e̶c̶a̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶I̶'̶m̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶i̶d̶i̶o̶t̶.̶
Post Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:32 pm
Always nice job ! :) Thankyou !
Post Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:47 pm
Last edited by Chris_Kelly on Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
I know I am late to the party, but I want to say this is really impressive! Keep up the good work. I don't know if this is too much to ask, but would it be possible to implement a YM2413 sound mod for this game hack in the future?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:04 pm
It'd need to be a compete engine transplant... Who's willing to do the adaptation?
Post Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:04 pm
ValleyBell did the FM mod for Sonic 1, perhaps ask him politely?
Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:15 pm
Using the Item Radar seems to softlock the game, any input I do does nothing, only a black bar scrolls vertically, looping forever.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:50 pm
Is it possible to attach savestate just before it?

And Emulicious compatible savestate is appropiate
Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:25 pm
Hello everyone.

The conversion work that's already been done is really impressive, but it was bugging me that the automated palette conversion had a habit of reducing some of the detail in the artwork (or just looking a bit iffy). So, I set out to tweak the palettes to get better results.

My primary goal was making sure that the new palettes wouldn't have any duplicate colors at all costs. I also used Tales to make the first boss use an unused palette, so I was able to finally get the mech to have proper shading.

This version definitely deviates from the original game's aesthetic a little bit, but I think the increased detail is worth it.

In the attached images: Left: GG | Center: V1.5c | Right: Edited colors

Note: Like previous versions, using the Item Radar will crash the game! I don't know what's causing this, or what version of the patch introduced this, but I've attached a savestate for my version with the Item Radar equipped. Hopefully someone else can figure that one out.

Enjoy.
1.png (20.61 KB)
1.png
2.png (19.69 KB)
2.png
3.png (18.6 KB)
3.png
6.png (12.71 KB)
6.png

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:55 pm
Wow, this is awesome. I always use this as an example of how good a GG2SMS conversion could be, but I always thought the colors were much better on the GG version. This is a really cool improvement and I'm looking forward to trying it!

(and, of course, thanks to freezingicekirby for all the original awesome work as well!!)
Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:58 pm
Blast_Brothers wrote

Note: Like previous versions, using the Item Radar will crash the game! I don't know what's causing this, or what version of the patch introduced this, but I've attached a savestate for my version with the Item Radar equipped. Hopefully someone else can figure that one out.

I'll take a look at it, I think I can probably make it work. Although there's a couple choices in the palette I don't really agree with, overall it looks pretty damn great. Nice work.
Post Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:28 am
I got rid of the item radar bug and added in reset button functionality. I plan on improving on a couple other things before releasing a patch. I wonder if freezingicekirby is still around to take in another update?
Post Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:15 am
If he isn't, you can just release it yourself and ask a moderator to update the relevant parts of the first post, such as the changelog and the attachment itself.

For what it's worth, he appears to be active on the deviantart page listed in his profile, as his latest post there was on September 21st, so if all else fails someone can send him a heads-up via deviantart's private messaging system.
Post Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:59 pm
I'm still around (mostly on Twitter nowadays). I actually did get an email about a new response to this topic, but it went into my spam for some reason.

@badnest Whenever you finish your patch, just let me know and I'll add it to the first post!

...Geez, I made this topic all the way back in 2016? I didn't think it was actually that long ago. Time flies, I guess. 😅
Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:32 am
Okay, so the palette choices are mostly good, but I feel improvement can be had. The intro with Tails sleeping, what was once an olive-ish green in the Game Gear version and FreezingIceKirby's palette, should be reverted. Your version makes the screen a bit TOO blue.

On the 3rd picture, I would revert the water colors, or at least get them as close to the Game Gear version as possible, but keep the sky blue like In your version.

I'll add pictures of what I mean when I get a chance to be at my laptop again.
Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:19 pm
I've made some adjustments to the palettes in my version. I tried to get the waterfall closer to the original, but the SMS palette is really lacking in desaturated midtones. I didn't want to just stick with the auto-converted colors because I think that gradient looks really ugly.

Hopefully this can be combined with the improvements and fixes that badnest is working on.
1.png (7.41 KB)
1.png
2.png (8.27 KB)
2.png

Post Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:25 pm
Ok, so I realised that the palette conversion wastes over 4000 cycles, 17 scanlines of vblank time every frame. I then started work on converting the game to use native SMS palettes, which would be faster than even the original GG version and free up more palette ROM space to have more palettes so I could do more stuff... And I also had a couple gameplay improvements planned and improved title screen and whatnot.

So yeah, the project got sidetracked, I'll still be working on it but it may take a while.

For now I'm releasing this improvement patch which does three things:

- Item Radar bug fixed
- Functional reset button
- Fixed border color on title screen

This should work either on the original v1.5c or v1.5c Alt Colors by Blast_Brothers. This patch should be applied to a ROM that's ALREADY been patched with either of those patches. Apply one of those patches first, then mine.

By the way @Blast_Brothers, I really liked your previous incarnation of the forest palette. I think a palette that looks different from the original, but looks good on its own, is better than trying to match the original. I'm not really a fan of this new version of the forest. I like the new gradient for the sea on Polly Mt. though.

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!