Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - vgm2mid .NET beta 2 now available

Reply to topic
vgm2mid .NET beta 2 now available
Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 8:26 pm
I've just released a new beta of vgm2mid .NET. Ang good news -- it now actually converts files! ;)

Head to the vgm2mid beta page to get it.

BTW, I know that a lot of you guys are wary of downloading and installing the .NET framework. It's not all that bad, though. I figure that before too long, it'll be required just like DirectX. So aside from the lengthy download, it's no big thing.

• Site Admin
Sorry for the silly question...
Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 9:34 pm
> I've just released a new beta of vgm2mid .NET. Ang good news -- it now actually converts files! ;)
> Head to the vgm2mid beta page to get it.

Are you going to keep the old version updated ?
The final word
Post Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 10:58 pm
> > I've just released a new beta of vgm2mid .NET. Ang good news -- it now actually converts files! ;)
> > Head to the vgm2mid beta page to get it.

> Are you going to keep the old version updated ?

Here's my answer, and my reasons:

From a programming perspective, .NET is fabulous. Basically, .NET is a huge collection of type and class libraries; it exposes a bunch of Win32 types, functions, and procedures without requiring API calls.

For example, instead of making a bunch of API calls or writing code from scratch to find the extension of a file, or the name of the file without it's extension, or the directory in which that file is located, there is class called Path, which contains functions for performing those tasks.

From a user's perspective, well, it's just like any other runtime library. An added bonus is that in order to install a program, a user has only to copy the files into a directory -- no installation required.

Another thing to consider is that VB .NET is not just .NET, but a new version of VB as well. The VB team has made some real improvements to the language, like one-line variable declaration and initialzation, eliminating old keywords and making current ones more consistent. The language itself -- regardless of .NET -- is much improved over VB5.

So will I go back to VB5 and update vgm2mid? The more I use VB .NET, the more my answer appears to be, "no."

Think about it: if you had just purchased a new Ferrari, would you still want to drive your old Fiat?

BTW, I don't mean to sound like a stubborn jackass, but this is simply how I feel.
  • Site Admin
Re: The final word
Post Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 11:11 pm
> Think about it: if you had just purchased a new Ferrari, would you still want to drive your old Fiat?

I can't afford a Ferrari.
Think about people who can't afford a Ferrari.

I can't refute .NET being technogically cool, but it's not soon that I'll want and be able to install .NET stuff on my home computer.
Re: The final word
Post Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 1:04 am
> > Think about it: if you had just purchased a new Ferrari, would you still want to drive your old Fiat?

> I can't afford a Ferrari.
> Think about people who can't afford a Ferrari.

Good point. I was speaking hypothetically, though.

> I can't refute .NET being technogically cool, but it's not soon that I'll want and be able to install .NET stuff on my home computer.

Maybe I just don't understand here... Do you not have the proper hardware for .NET, or is it a personal objection to it?

Once again, I'm sorry to sound so brazen about all this.

Paul
  • Site Admin
Re: The final word [OT]
Post Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 7:41 am
>> I can't afford a Ferrari.
>> Think about people who can't afford a Ferrari.
> Good point. I was speaking hypothetically, though.
>> I can't refute .NET being technogically cool, but it's not soon that I'll want and be able to install .NET stuff on my home computer.
> Maybe I just don't understand here... Do you not have the proper hardware for .NET, or is it a personal objection to it?

Both. I'm just too reluctant to install such a big system update in my nice computer that is up and running since five years.
Beside, several people use computers that aren't their own (at work, school, etc...) and so cannot install a .NET extension even if they want to.
You're just, a bit too ahead. :)

> Once again, I'm sorry to sound so brazen about all this.

I am the one who has to sound sorry because I complain.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!