Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Astérix and the Secret Mission (Master System)

Reply to topic

Rate this game

★☆☆☆☆ 0% 0%
★★☆☆☆ 20% 20%
★★★☆☆ 40% 40%
★★★★☆ 40% 40%
★★★★★ 0% 0%
Astérix and the Secret Mission (Master System)
Post Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:04 am
This topic contains reviews of Astérix and the Secret Mission.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:08 am
Originally published at www.smspower.org/maxim/MiniReview-AsterixAndTheSecretMission

The second SMS Asterix game, Asterix and the Secret Mission is a pretty solid improvement over the first.

Graphics

A little spartan. The sprites are pretty good approximations of the cartoon yet still rather 8-bit style. Backgrounds are mostly plain and the overall effect is a bit NES-like.

Sound

No idea.

Longevity

The main feature of this game is that it has a lot of levels, most of which are quite big, most of which can be played through as either Asterix or Obelix - and the levels are substantially changed for each character. So there’s a lot of game there, but you only ever get to see half of it in each play through. (The Out Run approach to replayability? On a real console as a kid, I’d probably have appreciated that as I played it though for the gazillionth time.)

Plot

Deliberately scattered through locations as our bumbling heroes haphazardly head to Rome, at least it’s consistent.

Fun

It gets annoying in places. There are some “puzzles” that are just plain wrong, like the 2/3 lanterns near the end. But overall it’s a large dollop of platforming levels, and I’m a sucker for that.

Innovation

There’s a few. The early level that loops until you figure out how to break the cycle, and the bit near the end where... it loops until you figure out how to break the cycle, but in a completely different way this time.

Conclusion

★★★☆☆
Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:40 pm
After the awesome Asterix 1 we get the secret mission but does this one hold up as the previous one did ?
Sadly , no.
The title screen is really nothing great . The animations are different and nothing is as good as the first one was.
It tries to be like the first Asterix but it fails miserably at it.
The music is terrible , the game is slower.
Same goes for the great rescue but none of the two sequels are as great as the first Asterix game.
Both sequels aren't terrible but if you're a guy that played the first Asterix and then finding this , you'll know what I mean.
Post Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:05 pm
This game is one of my very favourite games of my childhood. Better than many Megadrive games.
Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:53 pm
I got Asterix 1 and purchased this one recently. Can't wait to play it , somehow it grew up on me , that 1st stage song keeps playing in my head lol
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!