SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - MSX to SMS Hacks

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Post Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:37 am
DerZocker wrote

I'd suppose Master Everdrive, right?

Well yes since the Genesis/MD doesn't support the TMS9918 video modes.
Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:35 pm
http://map.grauw.nl/resources/msx_io_ports.php

VDP / Video Display Processor / TMS9918A / v9938 / v9958

These are the I/O registers for accessing the standard MSX VDPs:

Port range    Description
#98    VRAM data read/write port
#99 (write)    VDP register write port (bit 7=1 in second write)
VRAM address register (bit 7=0 in second write, bit 6: read/write access (0=read))

PSG / AY-3-8910 / YM2149

These are the I/O registers for accessing the MSX PSG (Programmable Sound Generator):

#A0 (write)    Register write port
#A1 (write)    Value write port
#A2 (read)    Value read port

Additional PSG I/O ports A & B

The PSG has two additional I/O ports in registers 14 and 15. They are used by the MSX standard for several device I/O related tasks, comparable with the PPI and working more or less in conjunction with it. These are the functions:

PSG I/O port A (r#14) – read-only Bit    Description    Comment
0    Input joystick pin 1    0 = up
1    Input joystick pin 2    0 = down
2    Input joystick pin 3    0 = left
3    Input joystick pin 4    0 = right
4    Input joystick pin 6    0 = trigger A
5    Input joystick pin 7    0 = trigger B
6    Japanese keyboard layout bit    1 = JIS, 0 = ANSI/AIUEO/50on
7    Cassette input signal    
PSG I/O port B (r#15) – write/read Bit    Description    Comment
0    Output joystick port 1, pin 6    Set to 1 to allow input
1    Output joystick port 1, pin 7    Set to 1 to allow input
2    Output joystick port 2, pin 6    Set to 1 to allow input
3    Output joystick port 2, pin 7    Set to 1 to allow input
4    Output joystick port 1, pin 8    
5    Output joystick port 2, pin 8    
6    Joystick input selection, for r#14 inputs    1 = port 2
7    Kana led control    1 = off

PPI / Programmable Peripheral Interface / 8255

The PPI controls a number of things in the MSX system, ranging from slot selection through cassette output to interfacing with the keyboard.

#A8    PPI-register A
Primary slot select register.
#A9 (read)    PPI-register B
Keyboard matrix row input register.
#AA    PPI-register C
Keyboard and cassette interface.
#AB (write)    Command register.

I was able to get some games running (example; Super Cobra) by changing the ports in the MSX rom to SMS ports, this also mapped the keyboard to the pad to enable starting of games which require a keyboard "key x" for joystick selection (generally "key 1" = pad#1 down). I haven't managed to get the PSG working correctly yet, but it did fix graphical glitches.
Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:43 am
One interesting possibility: this page has a disassembly of the MSX BIOS.

Maybe this could be adapted to the SMS hardware, hopefully allowing more accurate conversions of MSX games; by combining this with some custom mapper with additional RAM, it should be possible to convert a greater variety of MSX software. Maybe it would even be possible to run tape games, either by loading memory snapshots directly to RAM, or by modifying the tape-related BIOS routines to use the ROM as an emulated tape; maybe it would even be possible to emulate the disk that way.
Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:21 am
Boogie Woogie Jungle, Konami's Billiards (AKA "Video Hustler" and "Computer Billiards"), Track & Field 1 & 2 (AKA Hyper Olympics), Roger Rubbish, Super Penguin, and Super Snake.
MSX2SMS #8.zip (229.57 KB)

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:29 am
PSG mapping requires dynamically adjusting the data from the MSX PSG to equivalents for the SMS PSG, and the process is not entirely possible to do perfectly because their specs do not match.

Tape games loaded to RAM are likely to have variables interspersed in the code, or even be self modifying. That means you can't run them from ROM, but it may be possible to load them to RAM if they live below the 8KB limit (and are relocatable if necessary).
Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:50 pm
haroldoop wrote
One interesting possibility: this page has a disassembly of the MSX BIOS.

Maybe this could be adapted to the SMS hardware, hopefully allowing more accurate conversions of MSX games; by combining this with some custom mapper with additional RAM, it should be possible to convert a greater variety of MSX software

Minimum MSX spec seems to have been 16KB RAM, and as far as I can tell that should be enough to run pretty much all MSX1 games. So two options;

1) Additional 8KB RAM, but this wouldn't be mapped correctly for MSX so would require hacking the MSX ROM. If you could also hack the ROM to use the Sega mapper you might be able to use an existing game as a donor cart.

2) Additional 16KB RAM whilst disabling the system RAM so as to correctly map for MSX.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:10 pm
In theory you can map cartridge RAM in c000-ffff, but I doubt Everdrive supports it. I guess the BIOS ROM reserves space in the low RAM, so games are ready shifted up a bit.
Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:20 pm
Do you mean that you can use the existing 8KB system RAM at c000-dfff, and map 8KB cartridge RAM to e000-ffff? It's theoretically possible to disable system RAM mirroring at e000-ffff without disabling system RAM at c000-dfff?

Everdrive has 32KB FRAM, is that suitable for work RAM? It's probably a moot point without access to the source code anyway.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:23 pm
The Sega mapper can put its cart RAM in that slot, and you can disable the system RAM, but I don't know if Everdrive supports it. Cartridge RAM is definitely usable in this way.
Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:36 pm
Right, but reading this it seems that if you mapped cartridge RAM to e000-ffff it would conflict with the system RAM which gets mirrored there, thus necessitating disabling the system RAM and requiring 16KB cartridge RAM. If there's a way to disable system RAM mirroring, without disabling system RAM then you could get away with 8KB cartridge RAM.

http://www.smspower.org/Development/RAM

The Master System's simple memory mapping hardware based on address lines A14 and A15 maps the RAM in the last 16KB of the Z80 CPU memory map from $C000 to $FFFF when A14 and A15 are both 1 Because the RAM is only 8KB is size it appears mirrored in the second half of the 16KB address space.

The mirroring means that any memory writes to the last 16KB of the memory map in the range $C000 and $FFFF are written to RAM. It also means that any memory reads in the same address space read the RAM. This has a convenient side-effect that any writes to the cart mapping registers which are memory mapped between $FFFC to $FFFF and write-only can be read from RAM.

Bit 4 of I/O Port $3E must be 0 for RAM to be enabled. This feature allows the Master System 8KB of RAM to be disabled and RAM from an external device such as a cart to be used in the last 16KB of the memory map.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:40 am
Yes, that's right. It depends what the aim is for compatibility - Everdrive, old emulators, new emulators (with custom mapper), donor carts?
Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:14 am
There are sources for some MSX games on GitHub:
https://github.com/artrag/Uridium-msx1
https://github.com/theNestruo/msx-wrally
https://github.com/santiontanon/transballmsx
Some of those are actually designed for cartridge, which should make it easier to port to SMS.
Revo
Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:34 am
Last edited by Revo on Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total
I was able to convert 2 homebrew: Bubbo World 2 & Pointless Platform.

Only Pointless Platform should work on real hardware.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:48 am
WOW! Awesome development! Amazing what one finds on this board. Hopefully more of the games can be converted glitch-free. Can this be applied to MSX2 stuff or no chance? Would like to see the list make note of what works on real hardware or just emu. Again, fantastic!
Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:06 am
I think MSX2 is a more powerful system.
At the least it has more RAM.

So it probably won't be able to be ported to SMS.
Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:39 am
KingMike wrote

That's true, I guess I get thrown off by ports of like games being worse on MSX2 than NES.
Revo
Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:34 am
Last edited by Revo on Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Followed more homebrew converted:

Menace, Neo Pong 512 (no sound), Pointless Shooting, Peek-A-Boo: should work on real hardware.

Cow Abductors, Griel's Quest for the Sangraal Extended Edition, Neo Pong 512 (sound ok), Shoganai: not working on real hardware.
Menace-01.png (2.68 KB)
Menace-01.png
Menace-02.png (2.52 KB)
Menace-02.png
Neo Pong 512-01.png (2.64 KB)
Neo Pong 512-01.png
Neo Pong 512-02.png (1.32 KB)
Neo Pong 512-02.png
Peek-A-Boo-01.png (5.94 KB)
Peek-A-Boo-01.png
Peek-A-Boo-02.png (10.34 KB)
Peek-A-Boo-02.png
Shoganai-01.png (3.21 KB)
Shoganai-01.png
Shoganai-02.png (6.87 KB)
Shoganai-02.png

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:54 pm
Last edited by nitrofurano on Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:10 pm; edited 3 times in total
Greg2600 wrote
KingMike wrote

That's true, I guess I get thrown off by ports of like games being worse on MSX2 than NES.

msx2 uses v9938, 2+ and Turbo-R uses v9958 - their specific display modes are a bit different from what is used on msx1, sg1000, master-system, megadrive, etc., since these modes uses no tiles - for “simulating” tiles, most games uses vdp commands http://map.grauw.nl/articles/vdp_tut.php#commands

and most of the games that uses these display modes normally uses 212 lines instead of 192 - it’s clearly noticeable when comparing the msx1 and msx2 versions of King’s Valley 2

and the sprite format is also totally different - https://www.msx.org/wiki/The_OR_Color - msx2 sprites uses this kind of “trick”, while master-system uses as sprites the same patterns as used on tiles, so it seems to be a huge conversion and remake needed there

so, i guess that people that might want to convert msx2 games into master-system might need to dive into a quite deep disassembling... - but we never now, perhaps one day soon we are going to play Undeadline, Xevious Fardraut Saga or Aleste on SMS, in the same way Retroworks converted King’s Valley 1 to ZX-Spectrum...
Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:03 pm

Minimum MSX spec seems to have been 16KB RAM, and as far as I can tell that should be enough to run pretty much all MSX1 games. So two options;

the minimum ram size from msx1 spec is 8kb (as from Casio PV-7) - https://www.msx.org/wiki/Casio_PV-7 - so i guess most msx1 games counts with such limitation
Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:21 am
The thing with MSX is that there are some non-standard hardware configurations. That means that lots of software isn't even compatible with all MSX hardware configurations. Some of the more interesting software requires 16kb.

But yes, thanks for pointing out that some hardware was 8kb (that was a mistake that I made when I posted that), unfortunately some of the more interesting software wasn't aware of that (or ignored it), and was programmed for 16kb RAM.
Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:38 am
Anyone tried The Goonies?
Revo
Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:59 am
http://www.smspower.org/forums/16445-MSXToSMSHacks#95489

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:25 pm
Revo wrote
http://www.smspower.org/forums/16445-MSXToSMSHacks#95489

Oops, I overlooked *_*
Thanks for pointing out.
It would be very cool to be able to look at the level data using Emulicious. A level editor would be SO cool.
Running in Kega
Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:47 am
Hello all! First post here.. I will get to the point

I have run most of these msx2sms files in Kega using a euro SMS BIOS and very few work

I picked a random one that did work fine
Konami's Billiards MSX2SMS Hack

I went snooping around with a hex editor and i can't find a header at $1ff0, $3ff0 or $7ff0

How is this working with an invalid checksum?
Revo
Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:37 am
Emulators don't need valid checksum to run games. You should try to use MEKA; Kega is not a very good emulator.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:07 am
Revo wrote
Emulators don't need valid checksum to run games. You should try to use MEKA; Kega is not a very good emulator.

It was my understanding that using a Euro BIOS nothing will boot without TMR SEGA etc. I've used Kega, hex editor and the sms header reader from this site to make SG/MK III roms play on my pal sms2on a real cartridgre and so far using the BIOS with Kega has behaved the same as real hardware. Eg. Turn bios off and Jap rom will play, turn it on and it will not play. Im guessing the emulator is fixing the header itself when not using a bios
Revo
Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:53 am
Oh I see, then if you want an emulator who behave 99% like the real hardware you should use Emulicious.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:28 pm
Revo wrote

it’s from the bios part, not emulator specifically - SG1000-Mark3 doesn’t check the checksum because it has no bios (it’s indeed a kind of Master System without bios) - so i guess that, from most emulators, we are able to choose which machine or bios we want to use

anyway, @haroldoop developed a tool in pascal that “fixes” the checksum (it might corrupt the latest 16 bytes of the rom file, but i didn’t figure out any weird result from that), so (in theory at least, i never tested it on real hardware) you can burn roms of SG1000 games with these results, socket into Master System cartridges, and a Master System with bios will not display whatever error message, or run Alex Kidd (or other game on the bios) instead, and immediately run the supposed game just like whatever SG1000
Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:50 pm
nitrofurano wrote
@haroldoop developed a tool in pascal that “fixes” the checksum (it might corrupt the latest 16 bytes of the rom file, but i didn’t figure out any weird result from that)

well, you should first see what's in there. there might be some code (or data) you need to place somewhere else, or you might experience graphic corruption or -worse- the game could stop working unexpectedly.
Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:25 pm
sverx wrote
nitrofurano wrote
@haroldoop developed a tool in pascal that “fixes” the checksum (it might corrupt the latest 16 bytes of the rom file, but i didn’t figure out any weird result from that)

well, you should first see what's in there. there might be some code (or data) you need to place somewhere else, or you might experience graphic corruption or -worse- the game could stop working unexpectedly.

exactly - and rle-compressed stuff is mostly my main concern...
Revo
Post Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:29 pm
Last edited by Revo on Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total
I tried to convert 2017 entry of http://www.msxdev.org/

Slime Center is working fine on MEKA. Also including a version who may work on real hardware with bugs on writings and no checksum.

Tales of Popolon is probably working on real hardware, but the game crash after title screen.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:41 pm
Tales of popolon? Have to play it!
Seriously, how good was the msx. Its the culprit i am writing this now. If i would have had a spectrum or amstrad for sure i had left playing many years ago.
Post Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:07 pm
Has anyone tried converting Grog's Revenge?: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B.C._II:_Grog%27s_Revenge

I checked the list and didn't see it. It's a weird game, but oddly addicting.
Revo
Post Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:43 pm
Last edited by Revo on Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total
This game need control hacking 'cause of the followed screen, there is also a little sound issue.
Grog's Revenge.png (1.39 KB)
Grog's Revenge.png

Revo
Post Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:03 am
Last edited by Revo on Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Two new games from MSXdev.org ; both pretty glitchy unfortunately...

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:12 am
Nice work!
Please try to keep the MSX2SMS tag in all file-names to reduce confusion down the line (some of them are missing). You can possibly download a ZIP, rename, and re-upload attachment.
Post Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:35 pm
Revo wrote
This game need control hacking 'cause of the followed screen, there is also a little sound issue.

I'm sorry, I didn't see this response until now! Thanks so much for giving it a try!
Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:34 pm
how about 'Knightmare II: Maze of Galious' ? it's a Konami MSX1 game, 128kb. might be a good one.

I was sad to see that Quinpl is 128kb but only for MSX2. It was ported to Game Boy as 'Nail 'n Scale'.

edit: another request - Eggerland Mystery by Hal Labs (32kb). Eventually ported to NES as Lolo.
Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:30 am
Really wish these were converted primarily with original SMS hardware in mind....
Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:00 pm
Hi great work!!! I played this game and was wondering if it can be ported is a korean version of Altered Beast called "Super Suwanggi"
here using different types of mappers
https://www.msxgamesworld.com/gamecard.php?id=2956
Post Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:02 pm
Revo wrote
I was able to convert 2 homebrew: Bubbo World 2 & Pointless Platform.

Only Pointless Platform should work on real hardware.

Glad to announce (considering that this is not from Sega) that mi Retromini GBA handheld RS-90, support this compilation of MSX2SMS hacked games. It's is important to notice the cross compatibility between old emulators.

some roms 5% from the total, are not booting and shows a chinese words in red and yellow, having to reset and start again.

now, question
Is there a way to have the entire romset from MSX?
Is there a way to learn this power to help you guys to upload an entire compilation of this beauty?

take care!
Post Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 6:24 pm
Wainstop wrote
how about 'Knightmare II: Maze of Galious' ? it's a Konami MSX1 game, 128kb. might be a good one.

The user theflynn49 over at atari-forum.com found a way to hack Korean MSX to SMS conversions, which use strange mappers, to make them playable on more systems. One of the hacked games is Knightmare II: Maze of Galious.

theflynn49 wrote
F-1 Spirit : adr $0000 is : F3 C3 E4 00 00 00 should be : 41 42 F3 C3 E4 00
Knightmare II : adr $0000 is : F3 C3 A5 00 00 00 s/b : 41 42 F3 C3 A5 00
Nemesis2 : adr $0000 is F3 C3 E9 00 00 00 s/b : 41 42 F3 C3 E9 00
Penguin Adv : adr $0000 is F3 C3 A6 00 00 00 s/b : 41 42 F3 C3 A6 00

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?p=373878#p373878

Maybe with this knowledge more MSX1 games with 128kb in size can be converted to SMS by injecting them into one of the aforementioned roms.

Also it would be nice if someone could find the hex values to patch the Korean port of Nemesis in the same way.
Post Posted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:52 pm
A new game for MSX has been relesed.

Is it possible to convert it to Master System?

https://www.usebox.net/jjm/night-knight/
Post Posted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:18 am
Last edited by dink on Wed May 22, 2019 3:50 am; edited 1 time in total
n/m :)
Post Posted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:02 am
law81 wrote
A new game for MSX has been relesed.

Is it possible to convert it to Master System?

https://www.usebox.net/jjm/night-knight/

Reidrac is quite aproachable, maybe we can convince him to convert the game to SMS? XD
Revo
Post Posted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:51 pm
Last edited by Revo on Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
I tried to convert Night Knight without success.

Followed 3 conversions from MSXdev’18 games: Linez, Quartet and Racing. Only Quartet should work on real hardware.

Post Posted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:58 pm
Revo wrote
I tried to convert Night Knight without success.

Followed 3 conversions from MSXdev’18 games: Linez, Quartet and Racing. Only Quartet should work on real hardware.

Thanks @revo
Post Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:15 pm
Any chance of a conversion for Taito/Hot-B's "The Fairyland Story" to SMS?

Considering the SG-1000 already has Chack'n Pop taken care of, it'd be neat to have both of these Bubble Bobble predecessors available on an early Sega platform.
Post Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:44 pm
pcfreak324 wrote

The user theflynn49 over at atari-forum.com found a way to hack Korean MSX to SMS conversions, which use strange mappers, to make them playable on more systems. One of the hacked games is Knightmare II: Maze of Galious.

Maybe with this knowledge more MSX1 games with 128kb in size can be converted to SMS by injecting them into one of the aforementioned roms.

Also it would be nice if someone could find the hex values to patch the Korean port of Nemesis in the same way.

Wasn't this Korea conversion done several years ago?
Revo
Post Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:10 pm
Last edited by Revo on Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
I converted a new homebrew called z80rogue: https://github.com/nanochess/z80rogue

Controls work with player 2 controller, working on real hardware.

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!