9 (Excellent) 0% 0%
This poll has expired.
[devkitSMS competition 2016] Freeway '86 by tibone
Post Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:04 pm
Last edited by sverx on Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:12 pm; edited 6 times in total
http://www.smspower.org/Homebrew/Freeway86-SMS

tibone wrote
Hi,

Here is my entry for the devkitSMS competition.

The game is called Freeway '86 and it's a port/clone/version of Activision's Freeway.

I have put maybe 2 months working on and off into it.
Since i had never had programmed anything in C, it took me longer than it should be.

So far, the game is simply a hi-score competition. You are the chicken and you have to cross the street. I want to implement player vs. player, player vs. ai, and a mode where you can also move sideways.

It's also mute atm, i want to put sound before the final release (it's my next step, actually).

My idea with this, was keep the scope of the project really simple and doable, i think i've managed that.

I tried to attach the source code, but gmail is nagging me about security. I'll release the source on my github, after the 'official' release.

tibone wrote
UPDATE
Added sound and music.
Since i had no time, i decided to use some leftover songs that i had converted to the SMS, for an unfinished project.

freeway.png (1.94 KB)
freeway.png
freeway-3.png (1.49 KB)
freeway-3.png
freeway.gif (275.99 KB)
freeway.gif
freeway.zip (17.6 KB)
ROM (updated)

Nice game, small bug
Post Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:40 pm
Great, it's a nice game for a first C project!

There is an issue at least in Kega Fusion: after you score 10 points, the whole FPS rate slow down a lot, like slow motion.
Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:12 pm
Nice little game ^^
Maybe you can add more various vehicles / colors ?

- When you successfully cross the road, wait the pad to be release before continuing
Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:46 am
All it needs now is a two player mode, and a bit more variation... ;)

Even better, how about a 4 player mode, using the directional of each joypad for players 1 and 2, and the buttons of each joypad for players 3 and 4? :P
Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:36 am
Thanks for trying the game guys.

I'm really glad with the results so far. But keep in mind, this is an early version. I plan on adding more to it.

Nilo: I haven't tried on Fusion, just Emulicious and and my real sms, i haven't noticed any slowdown. I'll see if i can replicate the issue on my end of things. No idea what could be causing it.

ichigobankai: That's the plan, adding more vehicles and variations. Perhaps other game modes aswell.
Also, great idea on wait for the pad release, before reseting the player. I'll see if i can implement that after sound.

haroldo: 4 players? i can imagine it being funny, 2 playhers sharing the very small sms controller. lol.

Thanks for the opinion and suggestions guys. Like i said, this is my very first adventure into the land of C, and it's amazing that i can code an SMS game. sverx did a fantastic job with devkitSMS.
Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:16 pm
tibone wrote

haroldo: 4 players? i can imagine it being funny, 2 playhers sharing the very small sms controller. lol.

A six player version would be even funnier! XD
Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:43 am
and surely you guys forgot that there's also Genesis pad support ;)
Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:13 am
tibone has updated the ROM, please, re-download it.
Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:02 am
I am wondering if you rewrote Axel F on DefleMask or if you converted the original MOD to VGM using some tool...
Post Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:21 pm
My music process is:

1. getting a midi into reaper. (this may come from me, playing my midi keyboard, or getting a midi file from the internet). In the case of Axel F, that's me playing my keyboard.
2. editing the midi, to get 3 monophonic melody channels + 1 monophonic beat channel (it will be the noise channel)
4. putting each channel into a different midi channel (1,2,3 and 10) and exporting the midi from reaper
5. midi2vgm by valleybell to convert the midi to vgm.
6. open the vgm into mod2psg2 and doing the fine tuning (changing instrument characteristics, etc).

If you want, i can upload the axelf midi for you to look at.
I'm not good with trackers, so, i use reaper for all my midi editing and composing and all that.
Post Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:14 pm
Midi? Amazing. I am wondering anyway how much you can actually do loading your VGM to Mod2PSG2, as it won't turn your VGM into an actual tracker file...
Post Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:39 pm
Midi is a great format to work with, especially since i use it for all my soft synths, not only chiptunes, unfortunately, most people think that midi has sound, and that the "midi sound" is that of the win98 internal synthetizer. So, when we say "midi", people's mind goes to those midis.

But every synth sound and the drums in my music entry for this year's comp (the quartet track) are midi. :)

I've attached a zip containing 3 files:
- af_psg.mid - This is the midi file, straight from Reaper. I use reaper to track, edit and create a base midi file.
- af_psg.vgm - The "raw" vgm file, if you take the midi and use valleyBell's m2v_psg tool, you'll get this file.
- axelF.vgm - The final version, after i edited it in mod2psg2, which i use to set channel volumes, instrument vibratos, delays, etc.

So, as you can hear it, it can make quite a difference, in the final sound. Perhaps is not the most streamlined flow, but all software is lightweight so, it works pretty well, imho. :)
axelF_vgm.zip (13.73 KB)

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:48 am
Fortunately I know exactly what's a midi file so I understand what you're doing there. I was just wondering about the last step of your conversions, when you load a VGM into Mod2PSG2, as I'm sure I once read that it would not generate a proper module with proper instruments, envelopes, vibrato, etc etc but just something very basic, still editable (and that's the reason why the program can load VGMs)... so at the end I was curious about how much work is involved in that last phase.
Anyway I would try pestering DefleMask's author to add a 'load midi file' feature ;) ... but I understand that coding such a feature isn't as easy as it might seem.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:06 pm
MIDI has fairly simple mapping to tracker commands, more so than VGM.
Post Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:31 pm
Sure! But what's missing in midi is the concept of pattern, so a midi-to-tracker converter will probably generate patterns by simply breaking the song into (useless) chunks. Well, it would anyway be a viable approach, even with this limitations. Probably an "import" feature would work even better, as the attached wizard may 'preview' the midi data and suggest proper importing options.
Post Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:50 pm
I also use midi on genny, using Echo driver.

My process is a little different :
1/ create a MIDI channel per channel
2/ use MIDI instrument the way you want
3/ create a instrument library
(this way, you can mix FM, PSG, PCM instrument but it's Genny only)
4/ convert MIDI to 'play instrument' id command
5/ driver with load instrument and play it on desired channel

Plan to port it for SMS but it' on my todo list ;)
Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:52 am
Nice work.

I do not have much to add that has not been said. Car variation would add to the game. As a hi score game works well :) Good results for first c project.
Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:13 pm
Congrats on your first c project. I think it turned out well, and holds a lot of potential. I too experienced the slowdown when you score 10+. Not much to add to what is already said. After a couple of attempts I got into a rythm that really allowed me to foresee the open spots on the road. It needs chicken horiz. movement and car variations. Nice tunes!
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!