Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Design test 07

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
Design test 07
Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:54 pm
http://wip.smspower.org/tests/games/test07.html

- Various HTML and typos fixes.

- Modified credits/disclaimer/privacy policy table on the bottom.
Isn't it too big ?

- Re-added top form on the bottom.

- Worked on the "See also / links" table.

I took Wonder Boy III in exemple but it has a billion of related games. I think the table is too big right now. Many we should perform a selection ? I don't see a point in adding a hundred related Famicom and Super Famicom games in the Hokuto no Ken entry. However I'll be ashamed not to link to Monster Lair or Monster World IV. So it's difficult to choose what to do.

I'd also like to be able to link to other site, per-game. So for exemple we can link to some MobyGames (and other sites) entries.

Overally, I think the table should be smaller and contains more links. Again, the Wonder Boy serie is an extreme case since it has many names. 90% of games on other platform have all the same names (eg: R-Type, California Games, Bubble Bobble, Golden Axe, etc...) so it'll be much simpler. But it'll be cool if we could add various links to info/reviews page based on system. So if you are curious about other versions of R-Type you can easily find other sites.
Of course, that feature is not mandatory. We could just strip that out and keep only games that are in our own DB.

Fans/misc site were not added but there's obvious to add (one site name, one link).
  • Site Admin
Select
Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:28 pm
> - Modified credits/disclaimer/privacy policy table on the bottom.
> Isn't it too big ?

I was expecting you to put that stuff on a static page and merely have

Copyright - Privacy policy

atthe bottom of the page.

> - Re-added top form on the bottom.

Is it useful?

> - Worked on the "See also / links" table.

> I took Wonder Boy III in exemple but it has a billion of related games. I think the table is too big right now. Many we should perform a selection ?

Yes. Put them in a [select] with a go button (I hate those selects that have a script triggered by selection change, since they screw up keyboard navigation); possibly have some code to display the first 4 or so and a select for any others?

> I'd also like to be able to link to other site, per-game. So for exemple we can link to some MobyGames (and other sites) entries.

A links table? Game ID, link text, URL? Then of course there is the problem of mainting working links... a [report broken link] link too...

Maxim
  • Site Admin
Re: Select
Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:01 pm
> > - Modified credits/disclaimer/privacy policy table on the bottom.
> > Isn't it too big ?

> I was expecting you to put that stuff on a static page and merely have
> Copyright - Privacy policy
> atthe bottom of the page.

Right right. I'll just leave the contribution part and copyright/privacy policy elsewhere.

> > - Re-added top form on the bottom.
> Is it useful?

Somehow, I should have re-added the navigation menu (MAIN - TIPS - MEDIAS here instead.

I'm not doing smart changes today. Bah.

[...]
> > - Worked on the "See also / links" table.

> > I took Wonder Boy III in exemple but it has a billion of related games. I think the table is too big right now. Many we should perform a selection ?

> Yes. Put them in a [select] with a go button (I hate those selects that have a script triggered by selection change, since they screw up keyboard navigation); possibly have some code to display the first 4 or so and a select for any others?

Which first 4 ? Take this exemple ; what would you like to display in "related games" for Wonder Boy III ?
All the games I listed are valid entries, it is difficult to make a choice.

[...]
> > I'd also like to be able to link to other site, per-game. So for exemple we can link to some MobyGames (and other sites) entries.
> A links table? Game ID, link text, URL?

I was thinking about something like:

Wonder Boy
SMS (link to our entry, other link), GG (link to our entry), Arcade (link to some arcade page), Spectrum (etc.).

So there's a subset of items (versions) under each item (Wonder B oy), but that's getting maybe a bit too complicated.

> Then of course there is the problem of mainting
> working links... a [report broken link] link too...

That is a bit annoying is we have to track down broken links. Hopefully they won't be too many of them.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!