Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Gradius 2 / Nemesis 2, Cutthroad Island [Proto], etc.

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
Gradius 2 / Nemesis 2, Cutthroad Island [Proto], etc.
Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:11 pm
Hello all !

Our 16th anniversary and competition day are fast approaching. There's still time for you to come up with a music or coding submission, however humble it is there's a lot to learn from putting something together.

We've got 3 dumps releases today to keep others patient for the release of competition entries.

The Nemesis saga continues with the ultimate cosmic adventure...

Let's get started with the main course. After releasing Gradius last year, we've got a dump of the even rarer Nemesis 2 / Gradius 2 (그라디우 2) for the Master System / Samsung Gam*Boy. Released by Zemina in 1987, this version is also based on the original MSX1 classic.

For some reason the game always run in "Penguin mode" which was originally unlocked by plugging a Pengun Adventure cartridge in the second cartridge slot of a MSX. This could be an intentional modification that Zemina made, or perhaps a side-effect of the game reading unexpected data and interpreting it as Penguin Adventure. I'm sure people will find a way to re-enable the original Metalion ship.

We've also got a Prototype of Cutthroat Island for the Game Gear, the brilliantly implemented fighting game by Software Creations, released in 1995.

Finally we've got the US release of Scratch Golf for the Game Gear. Until now only the Japanese dump was available.

I am still in the process of completing a full redump pass of the Game Gear library and could do with some help with the rare games. If you have complete collection of the US and European libraries and willing to lend some cartridges for dumping, please contact me.
  • Site Admin
Temporary Transitional Attachment Fairy
Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:12 pm
This message will auto destruct itself someday.
nemesis_2-sms-kr.zip (92.04 KB)
scratch_golf-gg-us.zip (148.61 KB)

Post Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:07 am
wow, thanks a lot!

I love the attentions dedicated to Zemina titles :)

I am still in the process of completing a full redump pass of the Game Gear library and could do with some help with the rare games. If you have complete collection of the US and European libraries and willing to lend some cartridges for dumping, please contact me.

while at it, would it be possible for you to open some of the carts and take some pictures? I'd love to see the ROM part numbers page to increase its content (and to use the info for MESS software lists)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:51 pm
I could potentally do that at some point, but most likely I'd do it as a batch once my GG collections are complete, so don't expect anything anytime soon really.
Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:09 am
Thanks for the new dumps Bock!
Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:12 am
Bock wrote
I could potentally do that at some point, but most likely I'd do it as a batch once my GG collections are complete, so don't expect anything anytime soon really.

Eventually is way better than never, thanks :)

In the meanwhile (I promise I won't hijack the thread anymore after this), is there anyone that can point me to any collection of SMS/GG/SG PCB pictures? I've only found the mirror of the old nepereny's website so far, and I'd like to add more documentation to MESS...
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:28 am
I have a bunch of SMS European board scans that I ought to put online...
Post Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:13 pm
Hi everybody, I'm new here. Very good titles, I love Konami games :-). I'm trying to load Nemesis 2 but the emu doesn't start it (Kega for Linux and MekaX for Xbox). Do I need any special bios to run it?

Thanks.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:14 pm
It uses a non standard mapper. It's possible neither of the emulators you mentioned can support it without an update.
Post Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:45 am
The "penguin mode" is not intentional modification of Zemina. It's a BUG. There is also same bug in Zemina's bootleg MSX Gradius 2 cartridge. (SMS version is just the port that has bootlegged their MSX version)
Post Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:54 pm
Maxim wrote
It uses a non standard mapper. It's possible neither of the emulators you mentioned can support it without an update.

I'm also sorry to say that the Master Everdrive won't run it either.
Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:10 pm
Maxim wrote

AxelStone wrote
Hi everybody, I'm new here. Very good titles, I love Konami games :-). I'm trying to load Nemesis 2 but the emu doesn't start it (Kega for Linux and MekaX for Xbox). Do I need any special bios to run it?
Thanks.

i think it is because the mapper from Konami on msx games uses 8kb banks, while sms/gg uses 16kb?

i think that msx games using Ascii16 mapper format (mentioned at http://www.msxblue.com/manual/rommappers_c.htm - i can't find an online list or database showing the games uses this mapper format) would be far easier to convert?
Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:50 am
ApolloBoy wrote
Maxim wrote

btw, besides Nemesis 2, did anyone try to open all those other 128kb ones as well, like Penguin Adventure, F1-Spirit, etc., on Everdrive, on Master System? - if they don’t run, what might cause this situation? that non-standard mapper issue only? or an outdated firmware version from Everdrive? or some patches might be needed (might affecting the memory paging only)? i heard some 32kb games are not running as well (and i think these ones uses no mapper as all, which seem quite weird )
Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:13 am
nitrofurano wrote
ApolloBoy wrote
Maxim wrote

btw, besides Nemesis 2, did anyone try to open all those other 128kb ones as well, like Penguin Adventure, F1-Spirit, etc., on Everdrive, on Master System? - if they don’t run, what might cause this situation? that non-standard mapper issue only? or an outdated firmware version from Everdrive? or some patches might be needed (might affecting the memory paging only)? i heard some 32kb games are not running as well (and i think these ones uses no mapper as all, which seem quite weird )

The Everdrive only supports a buggy default SEGA mapper and the Codemasters mapper.
It determines which of these two mappers to use with a heuristic in its firmware (see Maxim's post here.
For the SEGA mapper slot 0 mapping is bugged. It works in the inverted way it should. And because of that, e.g., Spacegun doesn't work correctly.
Other mappers (such as the Korean mappers) aren't supported by the hardware at all.
Afaik it doesn't even support "no mapper" that means it always assumes a mapper and thus games without a mapper that write to the mapping registers will unintentionally start mapping banks.
Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:29 am
Calindro wrote
The Everdrive only supports a buggy default SEGA mapper and the Codemasters mapper.
It determines which of these two mappers to use with a heuristic in its firmware (see Maxim's post here.
For the SEGA mapper slot 0 mapping is bugged. [...]

Can't we offer to fix their mapper support / detection routine(s)? After all, we all want a perfectly working Master EverDrive...
Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:03 pm
sverx wrote
Calindro wrote
For the SEGA mapper slot 0 mapping is bugged. [...]

Can't we offer to fix their mapper support / detection routine(s)? After all, we all want a perfectly working Master EverDrive...

Yes, I'd definitely want a perfectly working Master EverDrive. :)
But I don't know any official game that doesn't work with his mapper detection so what would you want to improve about it?
And new mappers and most likely fixing slot 0 mapping as well require a change of the hardware.
Is he interested in improving it? Who would buy the new revision of the board who already possesses the old one?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:36 pm
If we help him fix the logic it wouldn't hurt. I would definitively buy a new one.

Also the small chip holding the logic (I forgot what it is called) can be rewritten with suitable equipment and someone in the community could provide this service to others.
Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:03 pm
I would also buy a new one. The incorrect bank switching on bank 0 is an annoying limitation.
Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:47 am
psidum wrote
I would also buy a new one. The incorrect bank switching on bank 0 is an annoying limitation.

I agree and I also would be willing to buy a new board, provided I can keep using the cartridge shell of the old one.
Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:22 am
Bock wrote
If we help him fix the logic it wouldn't hurt. [...]
Also the small chip holding the logic (I forgot what it is called) can be rewritten with suitable equipment and someone in the community could provide this service to others.

CPLD you mean. I'm not sure he will share the CPLD 'code', but given that it seems like slot 0 paging works 'inverted', it may simply be a missing or a misplaced 'not'. I seem to remember there was a test ROM somewhere, if I find that I could run a test on my own EverDrive (which isn't so old...)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:12 am
Let's ask him.
Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:52 am
I'll first try to run this PFRDetect ROM on my EverDrive (assuming this test is reliable...) and see the results...
Also, if someone has a Master EverDrive he acquired recently, it may be the case he does the same tests, in case my specimen was 'too old' and problem was fixed later...
Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:35 pm
I confirm that the results are that the 1KB fixed area is pageable and the remaining 15KB is instead fixed. I'll try to contact Krikzz and see if we can work together for a fix.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:42 pm
I already tried...
Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:31 pm
I just hope to have some more luck. We'll see...
Post Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:00 pm
Do we have a list of the games that doesn't run on the Master EverDrive and/or a list of known problems?
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!