Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - SMS BIOS 2.0, Jang Pung II (SMS/KR), Sky Jaguar [Clover] (SMS/KR)

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
SMS BIOS 2.0, Jang Pung II (SMS/KR), Sky Jaguar [Clover] (SMS/KR)
Post Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:18 am
Last edited by Bock on Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Hello and welcome to the month of March, host of the world renewed SMS Power! coding & music competition! We will be celebrating our 18th anniversary at the end of the month and looking forward to your entries!

Today we've got 3 new dumps.

A few months ago we have discovered an uncommon variation of the classic v1.3 Master System Boot ROM that said "v2.0". Surprisingly it wasn't dumped until now. It is just very rare or just uncommon and no-one has been paying attention to the number in their instruction screen?

Thanks to Rudi the owner who let me borrow the console we now have a dump of the SMS (v2.0) System ROM. Its content has been analysed and discussed here. The main and notable difference between other versions is that this ROM doesn't check the game cartridge nor the presence of the TMR SEGA header. As such, it behave like a Japanese SMS and allows booting cartridges that don't read properly (they would crashes) or Japanese titles (via a custom made adapter for cartridge, or cards). So this is a cool side-effect. There is also a little display glitch with the snail game that's visible on the screen and may or may not appear with emulators.

We've got a dump of Jang Pung II (장풍 II) for the Master System. Until now, until the Game Gear version - often known as "Street Blaster" was available. The Master System oddly uses a 512 KB ROM instead of the original 256 KB, only to use 16 KB of this extra space.

Also note how the characters differ, the Game Gear version looks more like Street Fighter II.

Left: Master System, Right: Game Gear

Characters names also have been changed:
- Can (Ken) became James.
- Tile (Guile) became Eric.
- Chun Ja (Chun Li) became Alang.
- Tison (Bison) became Chales.
- Mega (Vega) became V.King.
and
- Lee (Ryu) stayed the same.

More technical discussions here.

And finally we've got an alternate Clover release of Sky Zet / Sky Jaguar (스카이쟈가) for the Samsung Gam*Boy / Master System. Cartridge loan courtesy of BKK. Thanks :)
  • Site Admin
Temporary Transitional Attachment Fairy
Post Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:19 am
This message will auto destruct itself someday.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:27 pm
those Korean/Taiwanese MSX1 games patched to run on SG1000/MasterSystem makes me imagining how simply could we do the same for all those over 800 MSX1 games as well - would be really great playing games like Alpharoid, Skooter, Bouken Roman or Tensai Rabbian Daifunsen on MasterSystem one day soon! ;) (i guess it might need some knowledge on disassembling and converting ay-3-8910 sounds into sn76489, and stuff like that)
Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:05 pm
DId you know that the ColecoVision is getting MSX and SG-1000 to CV conversiones since years? The CV uses the same sound processor as the Master System if I remember correctly. Take a look here

They also order their own new cartridge shells instead of using donor carts.
Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:31 pm
MSX already have capable hardware running third party supporting the SMS/MK III. Franky and Playsoniq. Using VDP of SMS but CPU and I/O from MSX. Not really same, but SG1000 really is not very big issue. Many released old MSX version of games released of Korea companies also for SMS (Super Boy and even Konami released MSX title).

Similarity to SG-1000 very easily can be seen in Konami Hyper Sports (MSX) / Hyper Sports (SG-1000). Is possible loading game soft from SG-1000 direct to MSX except no picture etc.
Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:42 am
SMS, ColecoVision and MSX they all share the same processor (the Z80)... but everything else is pretty much different.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:46 am
They all have some form of TMS9918 video chip too, but there are other important differences (RAM size, memory map, IO map, BIOS usage).

I believe there are some Korean SMS games which are MSX compatible, possibly to save ROM manufacture costs.
Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:27 pm
SN76489 PSG too nearly identical (also with SG-1000) so compare other system it share very much similar. Especially RAM is very different and converter from SMS to MSX difficult but other way not too difficult. Few Korean game uses screen mode change but still I/O might needing change. Is simple but only small sized game I see this happening.
Sega mapper patches for Jung Pung II
Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:36 pm
This was previously attached but in the wrong thread

These are Sega mapper patches for both versions of Jung Pung II

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!