Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Game Gear to Master System hacks

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Revo
Post Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:03 am
Ninku 2 WIP v0.2

- No more lightning down the screen (didn't finish the game but it should be fine until the end). Had to change the font color of the title screen from blue to black.

Revo
Post Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:13 am
Lost World, The - Jurassic Park WIP v0.2

-Some garbage screen deleted.

I stop working on the game when I saw the scrolling problem. You will have problem with some text and 3 bosses can't be played. Also the last level with the car is impossible to play.

Revo
Post Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:55 am
Pete Sampras Tennis WIP v0.1

- The colors conversion code only work for the menu.
- In-game I had to change the colors manually so every field have the same color.
- Wrong color on Codemaster splash screen and on Map screen.
- I had to delete one tile in-game to limit garbage screen, it's the orange letter ''D''.
- Start configured on button down player 2 (only needed to make pause in-game).

Revo
Post Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:08 am
Clutch Hitter v1

-Start is configured on down controller 2.
-Tile #0 deleted in-game to limit garbage screen (it's the up corner left of the big ball, when the ball is up in the sky).
-One color in-game is pink instead of white (I had choice beetween pink or blue).
Clutch Hitter v1.zip (50.67 KB)

Revo
Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:48 am
Madou Monogatari I WIP v0.1

-Start on down controller 2.
-Strange bug on real hardware, maybe working with everdrive.
-Original version (Jap) and translated version (English) available.

Revo
Post Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:08 am
Madou Monogatari II & III WIP v0.1

-Start on down controller 2.
-Japanese only.
-Probably the same bug on real hardware than Madou Monogatari I.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:00 pm
The Japanese version of Madou Monogatari I works perfect without glitches or anything. The English fantranslated version, however, has lots of issues outside of the window frame and most importantly, the text is completely garbled and unreadable. I don't know if manually applying the fantranslation patch to the Japanese GG2SMS converted version would solve the issue. Probably not, but could give it a look.

Madou Monogatari II and III have some glitches or "things that shouldn't be seen" during cutscenes, but it seems everything concerning the gameplay window frame is pretty much fine like the first game is.

These are excellent games by the way. And they add a lot to the genre that the Master System is mostly lacking.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:06 pm
If you patch a game twice then they might conflict, especially if they both use the same bit of unused space for extra code.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:20 pm
Note that hyperspinbrasil has been posting apparently fake GG2SMS updates (under several accounts) for a while now. If files aren't forthcoming then let's delete them. Revo, this one seems to be yours - is it real?
Revo
Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:27 am
hyperspinbrasil have many account yes, sometimes he send me spam on private message too.

The only message I can see from him his about Dunk Kid's (I did the hack myself).

He also like to use my username on youtube to post fake conversion...

I don't understand this comportment but anyway I can't do anything about it...

@Wesker: Thank you for the update, I hope that Vingazole will look Madou I one day. We had similar problem on GG Aleste, it's probably 'cause of a bad adaptation (from me) of the color conversion code.

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:52 pm
OK, the deletions and bans will be forthcoming. Let me know if you are being PM spammed in future.
Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:02 pm
Firstly, thanks for all these lovely 'new' games for the SMS. It makes me very happy and I'm sure makes many others happy too. :)

I wonder, though, how feasible would a conversion of Devilish be? It's a brilliant game and there's nothing really like it on the Master System.
Revo
Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:03 am
@Maxim: Ok thanks, btw who is in charge to update the GG to SMS Hack section? (I think is RetroRGB but not sure). Maybe I could have access too? I would like to update my conversions when I want and also do better description.

@Hot_Violet: Did you try Woody Pop? The original version can only be played with the paddle control but Ichigo made a hack that give you the possibility to play with a regular pad. It's a pretty good game but way to difficult.

I found a conversion of Devilish on my computer (made on August 2014), there is 2 problems with this game. The most important is the garbage screen in-game that I can't delete easily like the tiles are compressed:

And then I have a problem with the lightning in-game, the palette conversion code is working on the menu and 2sec in-game then it's only wrong color (this is due to a bad adaptation from me).

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:41 am
The garbage is in the tile map, not the tiles, but maybe that's compressed. It should be easy to hook in something to clear it up at first, but once it's scrolling it gets much harder.

Revo, I gave you edit access. Take care with page names and filenames, take examples from existing pages. However, most existing pages have terrible screenshots, I hope you can do better :) I feel it is important to show the real SMS screen with garbage so people know what to expect.
Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:48 pm
Revo, it would be absolutely awesome if you could update your own patches in the hacks section. I'll still add anyone else's who posts, but I've been so busy lately that it's really hard to keep up.

I haven't updated anything from November 20th till today. Let me know if you'd like me to bring everything up to date, or if you'd like to update those yourself.

Thanks again for the help and the awesome patches!
Revo
Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:37 pm
Thank you Maxim, I was of course thinking about adding real screenshot on the descriptions.

About the garbage screen, Ichigo told me how he cleaned WildSnake, you just look at the VRAM value of the tile you want to delete on the Tilemap Viewer of MEKA, and then look for the value in hexa to delete it. But when it's compressed (like most of the time), I don't know what to do. It's easy to edit the VRAM with MEKA but way more complicated on real hardware. Maybe you have some ideas?

@RetroRGB: I will update all my hacks, no problemo ;)

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:11 pm
Cleaning by deleting tile data is a terrible solution, except when the tile in question is not used anywhere else (e.g. some games have a noticeable tile to make it easy to see uninitialised tiles). The fix is to find an existing blank tile and change the tile map data. This might still be compressed, so it might be easier to patch the code to clear the tile map with your chosen tile. Where appropriate, you could even draw something in those areas instead of blank space, like in the Bust-a-Move hack. It's beyond hex editing, though. I really suggest you learn a bit of coding to get these things to 1.0 :)
Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:41 pm
Revo: you should really learn how to use Emulicious and/or MEKA debugger and debug facilities.
For instance if you set a breakpoint so that the game stops when it's writing to VRAM tilemap, you can check the code at that point and see if you can make it use a different tile. Of course this means you need a (basic) understanding of Z80 instructions, but that's quite easy to achieve, after all :)
Revo
Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:05 am
Ok thanks, it's a little bit more clear. The problem is that I'm pretty bad with coding (but it can't go worst). I'm also using a old/bad computer.

I can't use Emulicious 'cause Java is crashing every 2 minutes (no problem with KiddEd fortunately) and most of the rom I want to run are not working anyway.

I'm using MEKA debugger for all my conversions.

For instance if you set a breakpoint so that the game stops when it's writing to VRAM tilemap

So like:

b w vram 0

or

b w vram 3800

or something else?

Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:50 am
How does one find the Hex Address for Start on the Game Gear or even in Meka?

To get it mapped to the other Buttons on the Master System?
Revo
Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:51 am
I just updated the Junction GG2SMS page, it was way more difficult that I was thinking and pretty long (and I've to make .ips patch, argh).

@Maxim: What do I need to put on "Summary" section when I'm editing a page?

KnightWarrior wrote
How does one find the Hex Address for Start on the Game Gear or even in Meka?

To get it mapped to the other Buttons on the Master System?

b r io dc
(on debugger MEKA)

Then you look for a DB00 close to the address you found and replace it by DBDC to configure start on down controller 2.

You can also read sverx instructions of the page 7 of this topic.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:12 am
I saw that

Did you fix the other Games like Mega Man?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:41 am
Revo wrote
I just updated the Junction GG2SMS page, it was way more difficult that I was thinking and pretty long (and I've to make .ips patch, argh).

@Maxim: What do I need to put on "Summary" section when I'm editing a page?

I made a few tweaks for formatting, check the history if you're interested.

Put something in the summary to tell us what you did, e.g. "added", "fixed formatting", "version 0.2". It's useful to understand why you edited the page, we can always use the history to see what you edited.

Junction looks like a good candidate for filling out the black backdrop with static graphics. Maybe the statuses can be moved too.
Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:46 am
Revo wrote
So like:
b w vram 3800

or something else?

Yes, if PNT is at $3800 you'll see when it's writing to upper left corner of the map.
Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:33 am
I just finished the STAR WARS v2.0a by revo on my SEGA Mega Drive!
The game is awesome and have various differences from the SMS/NES versions.

I still notice some problems:

-The pause works, but sometimes you need push various times to pause/enter on menu.

-Sandcrawler, Cantina, Tractor Beam, Level After Prison, Trash Compactor and the last level from the Death Star have color animation (palette cycle) on the wrong color/places of the background.
Revo
Post Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:19 pm
Ok guys, I need your help if you want to see an update on the conversion of Battletoads.

I found a way to delete most of the garbage screen in-game, like you can see here:

I'm looking for savestates of all level of the game. We need to found a tile that is always empty. For now I'm using tile 208 ($D0) @ $1A00. This is good for Level 1 & 2 but not sure if it's good for all level...

Revo
Post Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:55 am
Tail's Adventure v1.3

-Map screen cleaned of garbage screen.
-Password and equipment menu screen also cleaned.
-32ko checksum to make the game launch quicker on real hardware.

Thanks to Supper for his help on this version.

Please let me know if there is still garbage screen somewhere. If not, this is probably the final version of this conversion.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:02 am
Revo wrote
Ok guys, I need your help if you want to see an update on the conversion of Battletoads.

I found a way to delete most of the garbage screen in-game, like you can see here:

I'm looking for savestates of all level of the game. We need to found a tile that is always empty. For now I'm using tile 208 ($D0) @ $1A00. This is good for Level 1 & 2 but not sure if it's good for all level...

You have a PM.

Revo wrote
Tail's Adventure v1.3

-Map screen cleaned of garbage screen.
-Password and equipment menu screen also cleaned.
-32ko checksum to make the game launch quicker on real hardware.

Thanks to Supper for his help on this version.

Please let me know if there is still garbage screen somewhere. If not, this is probably the final version of this conversion.

I gave it a quick test in the first levels and the result is impressive. It essentially looks now like a commercial release would probably have, even better looking than the Sonic the Hedgehog Triple Trouble conversion and that one was good already.

From what I saw, there's only a minor thing in the lowest margin of the first levels where you can see a flashing line of red/yellow colors (you have to crouch and let the screen scroll down in order to see it), but it's no big deal.
Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:24 pm
Sorry for the late reply. I'll have to give the Woody Pop hack a try. I didn't know of its existence until just now. Thanks for the heads up.

It's a pity that the rubbish around the edge of the screen can't be hidden properly. I always found it weird that Devilish got a game on the MD and GG but never on the SMS... even in Brazil!

RE: Tails Adventure. Wow! This looks really good. I've only had the chance to play it for a few minutes but it seems really slick so far. It looks like another quality title has been added to the SMS library.

Again, thanks for all these hacks. It's great to see some of the wonderful games make it to the best 8 bit console out there. :)
Post Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:57 pm
The only thing left that Tails' Adventure still could need would be a start-button hack for MD controllers and it would be absolutely perfect. :)
It's kinda annoying with this game to always reach down to change the inventory
Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:15 pm
Please someone could convert Ax Battler - A Legend of Golden Axe the sequel of SMS Golden Axe Warrior.
It have a similar game style of Zelda II
Revo
Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:50 am
Due to what is happening in 2016 particularly on Etsy and Ebay.

I decided to stop uploading online any of my GG2SMS conversion work for at least one year.

Sorry guys, I know it's only the fault of less than 5 persons but I'm a bit sick of that for now. I can give you particular link of add on Etsy/bay if you think it's interesting. I think not.

See you at the end of the month for something probably more interesting ;)

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:24 am
If you got a bit more advanced (ie. coding) you could insert splash screens or something, to say it's an unofficial hack with your name on it. I guess it's a shame to have the commercial imperative ahead of the community aspect, especially with the manuals and covers where you seem to have a lot of expertise.
Revo
Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:41 pm
Well I had this idea but I don't like it so much.

Maybe I'm gonna do an Etsy account to put the sames games who are already on sales there. Better quality and shipper price. The problem is that I can't continues to work correctly if I sell more than 20 games by month...

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:08 pm
Hi, i would like to contribute making adaptations to Master System from Game Gear, but my knowledge is zero, How can i start?

For example, adapt palette and button mapping.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:35 pm
Use a debugging emulator and/or disassembler to find the relevant code and patch the data or code appropriately. The adaptation of data is easy, making the patched game work as if it was native is hard.

An easier part of the legwork can be to discover games where the full screen is updated. You can do this by playing in an emulator with a "disable GG masking" option (or similar).
Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:42 pm
I wrote a general overview of how I hacked a few games to SMS mode. Perhaps it'll help.

http://www.chrismcovell.com/segahacking/hackingdiary.html

There may be more detailed step-by-step guides out there... dunno.
Revo
Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:01 am
Please don't help so much new people, I clearly think than Francklin have many account, actually working on it.

But no time as somethings beautiful is happening in France on Wednesday...

9/3/6 All the people of France on the street please, just to enjoy life and please don't work this day if you don't have to ;)

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:29 am
Revo wrote
Please don't help so much new people, I clearly think than Francklin have many account, actually working on it.

We are here to help and support new people. If someone wants to work on something let them do so.
Revo
Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:43 am
You clearly don't understand what's happening in France, but that's ok, you will see tomorrow ;)

Cheers.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:24 pm
Revo, I guess you really didn't mean to say that in this forum we shouldn't help people learn how to program/hack games on a SEGA console...

Or did you? :|
Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:31 pm
Revo wrote

But no time as somethings beautiful is happening in France on Wednesday...

9/3/6 All the people of France on the street please, just to enjoy life and please don't work this day if you don't have to ;)

I am not Francklin, trust me ;-D

I think that if you help me day by day and much more, i will never be able to make a conversion to Master System. I think that if one person of ten can make a conversion maybe it will be worthwhile the help received in any forum.

ccovell:
Thank you for the info, i will read it and il will try to understand.
Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:03 pm
Any chance to convert The Adventure of Batman & Robin? =)
Revo
Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:35 pm
Battletoads v1.1

-Less garbage screen.
-Color of the flickering (when 60Hz) changed.

Donation or crowdfunding
Post Posted: Fri May 20, 2016 11:35 am
Hi guys.

I just love your work with this hacks. I'm not a collector or re-seller. I just love only Master System.

Waiting for a Fatal Fury conversion, the best 8-bits fighting game.

How can I help you with money? I don't want to buy this hacks from other guys on ebay. I want to buy from you, the authors.

Or, at least, donate for you. Or create a campaign. Or patreon.

Any ideas?
Sword of Hajya
Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:05 am
I would literally offer a $20 bounty to anyone who can decently convert Sword of Hajya. I have been DREAMING of playing this on the big screen on real hardware!!

I really dont care if there is garbage along the sides of the screen, would still play and enjoy it. I can ignore the extra sprites along the edges.
Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:50 am
Revo, sorry to hear that the greed of a few are ruining it for the rest of us! We NEED as many of these conversions as we can get so we can enjoy these games on a full console and preserve the experience as most Game Gears out there have failed due to the craptastic caps.

Heres to hoping that you will start releasing your work again sooner rather than later!
Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:41 pm
I'm just finding this thread. Thank You Revo, and everyone else that has contributed. Any chance Kishin Douji Zenki could be ported?
Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:00 pm
Just wanted to say thanks for all these. My Master EverDrive should be here tomorrow and I'm stoked to play these on the big screen.

You're awesome, Revo. Sucks that people are profiting off your work you do for fun.
Post Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:37 pm
Sorry I got question.

I manage to hack the controller input (DB00 to DBDC), but what is HEX value of changing Palette from GG to SMS? Tried few games, work good. Some even playable. But colours totally wrong.

Thank you very much!
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!