Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Phantasy Star retranslation 1.02 released *updated*

Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2  Next
  • Site Admin
Phantasy Star retranslation 1.02 released *updated*
Post Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:28 pm
Last edited by Maxim on Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:18 pm; edited 3 times in total
Happy 20th Birthday, Phantasy Star!

Phantasy Star retranslation 1.02 by Paul Jensen, Z80 Gaiden, satsu, TheRedEye, Maxim

Released on 20 Dec 1987, here on its 20th birthday we are proud to release the 1.00 (hopefully) final version of the Phantasy Star retranslation. This is a retranslation from the original Japanese, combined with an extensive modification of the original Japanese ROM so you can play the game in comfort. There are a few modifications since last year's releases but your savestates should work (0.01% chance of failure) and your savegames will still work.

Also new this year is a PDF translated manual, faithful to the original Japanese manual.

So go back and enjoy this classic game all over again. It works on all emulators and on all known hardware, and is just as hard as it was back in 1987 :)

Edit: 2 days later, a fix for a couple of accidental issues gives us 1.01. Enjoy!

Edit again: Apologies to everyone whose game crashed when they visited Tajim ("Tarzimal" in the original Sega translation), the new version 1.02 has that fixed.
Post Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:57 am
Great work everyone!
Though I think you should fix the header checksum... and pressing the pause button allways brings up some kind of menu, is that supposed to happen?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:59 am
What? Oh hell... here comes 1.01...
EDX
Wow... just stumbled upon this...
Post Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:58 pm
This is one of the best translations I've seen... There's so much more to the story than I thought...

In Alisa's spells, the Translate spell is listed as "Transrate". So far that's the only problem I've seen... This translation really makes another playthrough worth it.

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:34 pm
We need to make translation notes :)

Transrate = imperfect translation - it does not always work. This is a reflection of the Japanese text which was a jumbled-up version of "fluent translation". We chose "Transrate" as an equivalent to that, while also having a little nod to "Engrish".
Post Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:30 pm
Oh... my bad... But now that it's explained, that makes more sense... I like how the translation has been kept as faithful as possible, as opposed to westernizing it, like the original game script.

Just wanted to say again, this is a wonderful translation, one of the best I've seen.
Post Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:05 pm
Been playing this translation for abit, i must say, this is an amazing hack & translation, the job you did is most impressive! Hats off to you all ;)
I found a bug!
Post Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:39 pm
I just found a small bug in this patch, when you visit Motavia (sp?) and see the governor, you receive a letter, when you then view your inventory, the item is listed as "Governor's" instead of "Governor's letter"
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:08 pm
Can I get a savegame for that?
Post Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:32 pm
Maxim wrote
Can I get a savegame for that?

Unfortunatly, no, the emulator i use is AlexKidd2x, and there's a bug in that regarding savegames, i only have savestates, and none with the item in question still present, i'll see if i can replay that far this weekend, i still have windows in a virtual machine, i'll install an emulator & get you a savegame.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:03 pm
All emulators have compatible savegames, so you have some flexibility there.
Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:57 am
Aw, why didn't you tell me you were updating it? I wanted to improve some of the dialog (not any major changes, I just wanted to eliminate some unnecessary button-pressing to page through sentences).
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:09 am
I did :(

I'm happy to make another release, just send me the scripts.
Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:41 pm
Maxim wrote
We need to make translation notes :)

Transrate = imperfect translation - it does not always work. This is a reflection of the Japanese text which was a jumbled-up version of "fluent translation". We chose "Transrate" as an equivalent to that, while also having a little nod to "Engrish".

Note: That's an old joke that alot to western people make. Here explains why. http://japanese.about.com/blqow13.htm
Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:17 pm
Thank you, thank you Maxim!
Oh and the Engrish is not so much about the pronunciation as it is about all the confusion in written form (in games among other places).
Ghosts 'n Goblins
Samurai Showdown
Crash When Fighting Tarzimal
Post Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:13 am
I've got just 2 things I wanted to say about this translation. First off I'm very close to the end and have loved this retranslation. Secondly, I was wondering if any one else has had a graphics glitch when they go to talk to Tarzimal. The game still progresses even afterwards and I've even managed to beat Tarzimal and save the game afterwards, but the graphic glitch is still present after loading from the main screen. I downloaded the ROM from a different website and made sure the byte size matched what the file said and applied a fresh copy of the translation(v. 101) but still keep having the same issue. I've also tried running the ROM under both MEKA and Fusion but I still always have the same problem. Has any else experienced this? Any suggestions for how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:30 pm
Please send me a savegame just before it happens.
Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:46 am
Hey, new guy here...

Firstly I just wanted to express my thanks to all involved in this project for putting this out there. Phantasy Star is argubly the finest game ever made (and certainly my favorite), and it's great to see it done justice with a well done english translation. So thank you :D

Unfortunately, I've run into the same bug with Tajima/Tarzimal. For me, however, it renders the game completely unplayable -- you can enter his room fine, but the minute you step on the tile that causes him to appear the entire screen turns a lovely shade of periwinke blue. For me, resetting or reverting to an earlier save works just fine. I did attempt to port the game saves (i'm using Meka, fwiw) to an unpatched version of the game, and i'm able to load up, clobber him, save, and port it back to the patched version to bypass the glitch, but even *after* you have the Frad Mantle, going back to that spot triggers the bug. I did notice it's only when the game calls for Tarzimal itself though... if you walk down the corridor backwards, the game works fine thru the automatic rotation around to face him, but the minute he should appear it occurs.

I've attached a zip folder with the game save and save states.. the file in slot 2 "caves" is at the begining of Tarzimal's room, and the save states 00 and 01 should bring you there as well. I hope that's of some help

That being said though, being able to play PS the way it was intentend to be, with the FM music and the entire story included, and the changes that SoA made set right is something I've hoped to be able to see for a very long time. So again, my thanks to those who put all the hard work into this.. it's really made my week.
Phantasy Star Bug.zip (29.67 KB)

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:16 pm
I've released an update to fix this bug. Please re-patch the original ROM to make sure it all works right.

Visit the translation page

Download the 1.02 patch
Post Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:09 pm
I just repatched a fresh copy of the ROM with this and the bug looks fixed. No problems with Tajim at all, up thru beating him and getting the Frad. Using the previous 1.01 I was able to play the rest of the game trouble-free aside from that one spot, so everything should be aces now. Thanks
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:16 am
Technical note: in 1.00 I expanded the spell menu to allow better spell names without having to break words. A side effect of that was that the menu data grew quite a bit, and it accidentally overran into the graphics tile data for Tajim. As a result, when the game tries to load his graphics, it was reading in menu data and treating it as tile data. This resulted in it overrunning the area of video memory it was supposed to write to, instead corrupting all the graphics to the point that the game would become unplayable.

Nobody noticed it (or reported it) in time for 1.01, but with 1.02 I hope it's all working well.

There may be another later release to tweak the dialogue timings. There is a lot of scope to reduce the amount of button pressing needed.
Post Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:51 pm
If you like it also play through PS2 with that new English translation.
Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:37 am
Hello there, first time posting here.

First I wanted to give a big thanks to everyone who worked on this project. It's actually my first time playing PS and I'm glad I can play it with a faithful translation. The game now is much more enjoyable than that horrible american version.

Now, the reason I came here is because I wanted to report a small bug: after I got the Governor's letter, sometimes when I use an item, the message box appears like this:

It also happens every once in a while in battle:

It all started when I got the letter and it happens at random. Also, like it was said earlier in the thread, the letter in the inventory is listed as Governor's instead of Governor's letter.

I attached my savestate file for the Fusion emulator, just in case.
ps.zip (10.34 KB)

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:18 am
I'll take a look.
Lamanai
Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:44 pm
Just wanted to pop in and confirm the Governer's letter bug. It happened a couple times when I was playing through yesterday. I can't offer any screenshots as I'm playing on a Dreamcast, but just wanted to add to Ruldra's find.

Thanks again for this wonderful retranslation!

Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:47 pm
I have another bug to report.

Spells that can only be used on the field (like Troop, Untrap and Bypass) doesn't show up when you look at the stats of the characters. The savestate I posted earlier can be used to verify this, as Alisa knows the spell Troop.

By the way, now I've found Lutz (and used the letter) and the Governor bug is gone.

EDIT: Turns out Lutz knows the spell Super Heal but it won't show up on the stats list either. I'd better attach my new savestate.
Phantasy Star.zip (11.36 KB)

Jaicen
Post Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:29 pm
Excellent work! Personally, the orgiginal dialogue I can live with, but the music.... Bleurgh

Now, who here can burn a big enough EPROM for me to play this on a real SMS!

TNoD
Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:18 am
Hi, I currently have no idea how to actually back up a save game from the save feature in phantasy star and i managed to get a save state from my emulator right before taz... But I'm stuck with the 1.0 version where it bugs at taz... so I need to know how to back up a saved game so i can patch the 1.0 version to the fixed one... (also would like to know how you patch the rom file... because i have no idea...)

Thanks in advance!!!!

TNoD
Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:43 am
TNoD wrote
Hi, I currently have no idea how to actually back up a save game from the save feature in phantasy star and i managed to get a save state from my emulator right before taz... But I'm stuck with the 1.0 version where it bugs at taz... so I need to know how to back up a saved game so i can patch the 1.0 version to the fixed one... (also would like to know how you patch the rom file... because i have no idea...)

Thanks in advance!!!!

Bah, ignore. I managed to patch it without losing my save =)

X-death
Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:13 pm
Hi,
i have a question for Phantasy Star,
is the game use Bankswitch or another special things ?

thanks for your reply

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:35 pm
X-death wrote
is the game use Bankswitch or another special things ?

Every Master System and Game Gear game bigger than 48KB must use bank switching. Phantasy Star is no different from other games in this respect.
sevenveils
request for guidance
Post Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:21 pm
Hi. I'd like to echo both the newness and thanks of the below gentleman. Unfortunately I also have the same bug, having apparently DLed v1.0 of the translation. (Someone should tell the guy at PSCave that he has the bugged version up for DL!) I have played the game a ton, only to reach the Tajim point where all play freezes.

I do have an emulator save right before the problem (and could make a game save as well, if that would help), but unfortunately don't know what I need to do in order to use the IPS patch or to make sure that my saved game can continue.
Can I run the patch on my v1.0 SMSPower SMS file or do I have to find an original Japanese ROM somewhere? (And if so, please guide.)

Apologies for my ignorance! I would greatly appreciate any help so that I can continue to play this awesome game/translation!

Thanks very much.

Chaos Sorcerer wrote
Hey, new guy here...

Firstly I just wanted to express my thanks to all involved in this project for putting this out there. Phantasy Star is argubly the finest game ever made (and certainly my favorite), and it's great to see it done justice with a well done english translation. So thank you :D

Unfortunately, I've run into the same bug with Tajima/Tarzimal. For me, however, it renders the game completely unplayable ...

I've attached a zip folder with the game save and save states.. the file in slot 2 "caves" is at the begining of Tarzimal's room, and the save states 00 and 01 should bring you there as well. I hope that's of some help

That being said though, being able to play PS the way it was intentend to be, with the FM music and the entire story included, and the changes that SoA made set right is something I've hoped to be able to see for a very long time. So again, my thanks to those who put all the hard work into this.. it's really made my week.

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:43 pm
You should patch over the original Japanese version - re-patching is not guaranteed. The save file should survive the process, but you might need to match up the filename carefully.

If you're in Windows, Lunar IPS can do the patching easily. PSCave has the rom.
sevenveils
thanks!
Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:14 am
Thanks very much! I got it working and past the danger point.

In terms of residual errors, I will echo people's observation about spells. Under each character's stats, only combat spells are listed; non-combat spells can only be found under "magic." In addition, Lutz cannot cast Super Heal during battle, only Myau can!

These are only minor errors, though. Thanks again for all your work on this.

• Site Admin
Re: thanks!
Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:09 am
sevenveils wrote
In terms of residual errors, I will echo people's observation about spells. Under each character's stats, only combat spells are listed; non-combat spells can only be found under "magic." In addition, Lutz cannot cast Super Heal during battle, only Myau can!

Bear in mind it's based on the Japanese version. I certainly didn't remove any functionality, so presumably the original version worked that way. Try loading your savegame with the unpatched Japanese ROM and see if it behaves the same way (even if you can't read anything, everything's in the same place.)
Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:55 am
Hello!
First of all I want to say "Thank you!" for this retranslation.
I'm translator too (but I translating from English into Russian, so I'm sorry for my English).
I translated PS1 into Russian in 2005 (It can be found on http://chief-net.ru). That translation is not bad, but not very good. So I decided to retranslate it again. (Now I have more expirience in translation and romhacking than in 2005). And I asking your permission to use your translation in my work.

Thank you.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:31 am
Yes, you are welcome to do so.
Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:52 am
Thank you very much!

I'll do my best.
Post Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:21 pm
Hi, this is me, again :)
I've finished my translation at last.
But during my work I found 2 bugs in menus in your Rom:
1. When player uses Luts's "Telepathy" spell, enemy answers and menu is about to close, on screen appears tiles of "narrative box" instead of upper part of "spell box" (left screen);
2. When player uses Miau's "Untrap" spell on treasure box, which doesn't trapped and contains both mesetas and item, or which trapped and contains mesetas and/or item, on screen again appears tiles of "narrative box" instead of upper part of "spell box" (right screen). And also in this case of bug, tiles didn't refresh until player moves forward/backward or turn left/right.
I fixed this problem with rearranging of "Window RAM cache":
334d hex_f4d9.bin ; #3 Narrative Box
3387 hex_f4d9.bin
3877 hex_54d9.bin ; #8 Item selected
3889 hex_54d9.bin
38fc hex_bcdc.bin ; #10 Individual stats
39df hex_bcdc.bin
3262 hex_54d9.bin ; #12 Enemy party
330a hex_54d9.bin
3595 hex_74db.bin ; #6 Magic - Depth 2 (choose spell)
35e4 hex_74db.bin
I don't found any replies about this bugs (but maybe I just not enough searched :) ).
So I'll be glad if this information will be useful to you.
1.png (9.36 KB)
1.png

Post Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:49 pm
I just reread the topic and make save for all (two :) ) "long" items (Governor's letter, Carbunckle Eye). There are two saves: one for "Gens+ 0.0.9.61" and one "SRAM" .srm file. I hope it will help you to fix this problem.
I saw it too while working on translation, but it is too hard to me to rewrite item show routines in SMS asm. Programm stops painting item-name, if counter in flag (sorry, I don't remember wich certainly) decreases to 0 from 10 (h0a).
So I had select more short names of items :( .

P.S.: By the way, using this save you can saw the bugs which I describes upper.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:55 pm
Hello!
One of my friends found solution of 'disappeared' words in item menu:
it is needs to delete 'newline' character in this items in "lists.txt":
^Carbunckle@ Eye -> ^Carbunckle Eye
^Governor[-General]'s@ Letter -> ^Governor[-General]'s Letter

It's happened because of automatic newline when length of string in item achieves to 10 characters.
Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:35 am
nice work! i have yet to even finish my sms version of phantasy star. head down in shame*
Post Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:01 am
Hi i have a friens from Argentina that would like to translate the retranslation to Spanish? I can do the coding but wanted to hear you guys if ot was okay? :)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:24 pm
It's always ok. People who did this retranslation didn't ask for an authorization from Sega in the first place. If your friend does it, have them do the right thing and credits people who worked on this first version of the translation/hack + try to do a good job with spanish that lives up to the english retranslation :)
Post Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:48 pm
Thanks. And of cause we will credit the makes of the english version.

And thanks you, for your help. :)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:29 pm
Well I didn't even work on it myself, so it is a little presumptuous of me to say "of course it is ok", but generally our community has been totally cool with quality derative work. The more the merrier.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:42 am
If possible, translate from Japanese rather than English, and get a quality writer involved because translators tend to produce boring text :) I'd like to get the project up on Github so you can have your project as a linked fork, but there's some issues with the licencing right now which I need to sort out.
Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:01 am
Dk Retro Collector wrote
Hi i have a friens from Argentina that would like to translate the retranslation to Spanish? I can do the coding but wanted to hear you guys if ot was okay? :)

A spanish translation was released a couple of years ago :-)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:46 am
Link? We need a curator for our Translations section...

http://www.smspower.org/Translations/Spanish
Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:52 am
Here the link:

http://traduccioneslukas.blogspot.com.es/2013/03/and-now-for-something-completely.html

I can try to maintain the spanish section of the translations, although i think that no many have been made...
Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2  Next

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!