SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Game samples extraction mega-thread

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  • Site Admin
Games with sample player code but no data
Post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:28 pm
My code searching was also able to find some tantalising examples of games with sample players but no data to put in them. We can presume that either the developers were a bit lazy or they had planned to include samples at some point but they were not present in the final release.

The list is quite long but I will only post games I've investigated...

- Alex Kidd in Shinobi World - Sega 1-bit player - looks like samples were removed, but there are stubs calling into the player with no data. Sound number $b7 written to the trigger at $de03 will cause it to play sample data with a start address, length and sampling rate determined by the current values of some other music engine RAM, which usually ends up being part of the start of the ROM code.
- Paperboy - "Ecco" 8-bit player, no references to it or sample data
Post Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:29 am
Have you tried it with a better test sound? Assume the 'Sega' sample is conversion of the sample from another 8/16bit machine.

EDIT: Re read, see its from sonic 2.

Great thread.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:35 am
No, it is a 4 bit 21kHz PCM which is not that great, but I didn't have a lot to choose between. Ideally I'd start with something CD quality. To be honest, it's just a quick experiment which proves that the 1-bit samples aren't PDM, but I'm still curious how good we can make a PDM player sound on real hardware.
Post Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:24 pm
192KHz is a problem because it exceeds the sample rate of the PSG chip itself, you will have lot of missed samples and it'll mess up the output.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:07 pm
192kHz wasn't a serous goal, just an example of a high sampling rate which happens to be in the menu in Audacity... I may make a demo using the 70kHz code, and then add in 4- and 8-bit data at matching bitrates for comparison. The performance on a real system will be as interesting as the performance in emulators.

All this is jeopardising my entry to the competitions this year :) I'd thought I was a few games away from ripping the whole SMS library at least, but now I'm making more work for myself.
  • Site Admin
Miracle Warriors
Post Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:50 pm
Is this sample used in the game? I can't find any references to it in the code. I'd guessed it would be part of the final boss battle but a YouTube video suggests otherwise. Write $98 to the sound engine trigger at $dd03 to trigger it in-game.

One sample, 1-bit data at 10.3kHz, sounds like a scream/roar.

• Site Admin
Galactic Protector
Post Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:53 pm
1-bit data at 25.1-30.4kHz. two samples are very similar, I think they are the player 1 and 2 death samples but it's hard to tell. I don't know what the third is used for, is it recognisable Japanese?

• Site Admin
Shinobi
Post Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:03 pm
1-bit at 21.3kHz.
Shinobi - Magic.wav (10.61 KB)

• Site Admin
Space Harrier 3-D
Post Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:22 pm
A bit tricky, this one. Interrupts are usually disabled while samples are playing, because the interrupt causes glitches in the audio. Rather than do something really clever to enable the falling animation to avoid hurting the sample, Space Harrier just lets it carry on but goes into a mode where the interrupt doesn't do much. However, even in this mode, it is using 50% of the CPU for every second frame when showing the animation. (For the ones in between it's more like 0.7%, and for "Get Ready" the heavy frames are 10%). What this does is introduce (at worst) approximately 1/120s long pauses into the sample. If we take the sampling rate as the average over the whole sample, the result sounds quite different because the effect is quite severe. So what I did was to count cycles over the whole sample, but then also measure the interrupt times (I took a sample rather than measure them all) and subtract them off. Then I present here the samples without the glitches, where the tones match what you hear in-game. I guess I need to do this for all games where interrupts aren't disabled - I'm hoping that's only Space Harrier, but I haven't been checking closely...

1-bit audio at a computed 16.5kHz (Aargh) and 12.2kHz (Get Ready).

Post Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:25 pm
Maxim wrote
Great Golf

And back to horrible 1-bit data! I have no idea what it's saying. I couldn't get the game to play them so I don't have any context. The data in the ROM seems a bit longer than what is specified in code, if that's any help. Data is played at 16588-16771Hz.

I have heard Great Golf's samples in-game, but still don't know what they are saying.

It looks like one of your WAV files is incorrect though. "Voice 2" is a good conversion of the data from $07882 - $07d81, but "Voice 1" contains a subset of that data - I think it should instead contain the data from $074b2 - $07881:

7456: 21 B2 74     ld hl,74B2h
 7459: 01 D0 03     ld bc,03D0h
 745C: 18 06        jr +06h (7464h)
 745E: 21 82 78     ld hl,7882h
 7461: 01 00 05     ld bc,0500h
 7464: ...
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:46 am
Last edited by Maxim on Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
I'll double check the pointers I used. It was based on those lines.

Edit: it was a transposition - 7b42 instead of 74b2 - plus I has tyoped the length as well. All better (but still incomprehensible) now.
  • Site Admin
Renegade
Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:32 pm
What seems to be a unique music engine (no code matches with other games), and something fairly unusual: log-compensated 4-bit audio. For some reason its stored inverted, though, so I had to write a new sample renderer to cover that.

...and all for some barely-relevant samples only played if you sit all the way through the (boring) intro. Sampling rate is fixed at 5121Hz.
Renegade - Bark.wav (2.06 KB)

• Site Admin
Nekyuu Koushien
Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:20 pm
Last edited by Maxim on Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
1-bit data at 20.3kHz. I had a go at guessing what's said, but some are Engrish (Out-o!), some seem wrong (Hit The Ball, Ball) and one I couldn't guess. I'm not very familiar with baseball, let alone the Japanese flavour of it...

Edit: is Batter Out actually Batter Up?

• Site Admin
Shooting Gallery
Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:38 pm
Last edited by Maxim on Sat May 09, 2020 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
More incomprehensible 1-bit audio :) When is this used, what is it saying? 36.0kHz, the high rate isn't helping...

Edit: apparently it says "perfect".

• Site Admin
World Games
Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:49 pm
Are these used in-game? It's sound IDs c0-3 at trigger addresses $d003-6. Two of them are left over Space Harrier sounds, the other two are weird sounds.

1-bit data at 19.5-19.8kHz.

• Site Admin
Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars
Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:57 pm
1-bit data at 18.5 and 17.3kHz.

• Site Admin
Space Harrier
Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:02 pm
The US/60Hz compatible release this time. The game handily has two places where it plays the samples, with and without disabling interrupts so I just timed it with interrupts off, much easier than what I did with Space Harrier 3-D. 1-bit data at 36.3kHz and 36.5kHz, assuming an NTSC system.

• Site Admin
The Pro Yakyuu Pennant Race
Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:53 am
I knew there was a reason I'd been putting this off. Baseball + Japanese + low quality audio (1 bit, 15.7 to 21.9kHz) + some phrase building from the samples. Some I can't identify, some seem to be in Japanese, some may be wrong.

Phrases used in the game:

High ball*
Strike! Batter out
Hit the ball
Foul ball*
(Unknown 1)
Ball
Safe
Strike
Out
(Unknown 2)
(Unknown 3) (Unknown 4**)
(Unknown 5)

* The "Ball" sample is played at a higher sampling rate for these items, giving a higher pitch.
** This is actually the second half of Unknown 2.

The raw samples are attached, I don't think anyone cares enough for me to join them together with the correct pause lengths in between.
Ball (high).wav (8.79 KB)

Ball (low).wav (8.79 KB)

Batter.wav (5.29 KB)

Foul.wav (5.55 KB)

High.wav (4.8 KB)

Hit the.wav (3.55 KB)

Out.wav (6.05 KB)

Safe.wav (11.54 KB)

Strike.wav (18.29 KB)

Unknown 1.wav (8.54 KB)

Unknown 2.wav (16.8 KB)

Unknown 3.wav (6.05 KB)

Unknown 4.wav (8.8 KB)

Unknown 5.wav (11.04 KB)

• Site Admin
Lemmings 2 (GG)
Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:26 pm
Well, it looks like I've run out of Master System games!

Onwards with Lemmings 2. This has a slightly different version of the engine seen in RoboCop vs. the Terminator, with the same lookup table. The sample data is 100% identical to that found in Lemmings 1, but now it's played at 7033Hz - slower than on the Amiga.

• Site Admin
Dunk Kids, SD Gundam Winner's History (unused samples)
Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:54 pm
Last edited by Maxim on Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
So, on with the sports games. Anything but baseball, though!

Well... this game doesn't seem to play samples. The engine is there, and it has code which looks a lot like Pro Yakyuu - very similar phrase-building. However, almost all of the sample references have been deliberately broken (zero length). What's left... is some baseball voice samples. Presumably they were thinking of having voices in this game, but never quite finished. Write $b4..$b7 to $dd04 to trigger them. I think they are the same data, but edited down a bit (removing short silences) and with sampling rate changes.

1-bit data from 15.7kHz to 17.7kHz.

Edit: same samples found in SD Gundam Winner's History, trigger is at $de04 with the same values.
Dunk Kids - Out.wav (6.25 KB)

• Site Admin
F-16 Strike Eagle
Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:14 pm
OK, let's be really sure by skipping to a game which has 8-bit audio (same engine as RoboCop versus The Terminator). All are 8-bit signed data at 8080Hz, converted to unsigned here. No log compensation.

• Site Admin
Beavis and Butt-Head
Post Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:18 pm
A unique engine here, it has some interesting characteristics:

1. It's super complicated
2. It can play samples, and read other metadata, across page boundaries
3. It uses 8-bit unsigned data at 8080Hz with a lookup table for controlling the three PSG channels in rapid succession
4. Its lookup table is one of the worst I've seen, super noisy
5. It has some built-in super-limited graphical animation capabilities during playback, whereby it can emit some data to the VDP during playback in a pre-scripted fashion
6. As you might expect, it builds phrases too

Overall, 147.1KB of samples (in 37 parts) in a 512KB ROM. The prototype seems to have slightly less, I don't feel super motivated to go check right now.

• Site Admin
Chessmaster
Post Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:50 pm
Time for some chess to balance out the previous pack. This was a quick rip, the data is 8-bit unsigned at 9085Hz, using the same lookup as Ecco the Dolphin to convert an 8-bit sample into three tone channel attenuation commands (but not with its buggy lookup).

37.5KB of samples, with what seems to be fairly bad mastering (sloppy edits, noise and hums).

• Site Admin
Sailor Moon
Post Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:16 pm
4-bit PCM inverted to PSG attenuations with no log compensation, played on three channels at 10.9kHz-11.4kHz. I won't attempt to transcribe them...
Sailor Moon - 1.wav (24.58 KB)

Sailor Moon - 2.wav (26.21 KB)

• Site Admin
Evander Holyfield's "Real Deal" Boxing
Post Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:01 pm
Last edited by Maxim on Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
8-bit signed samples at 7535Hz, played through the same buggy engine as Ecco (you can tell it's the same developers here). In-game it's completely unintelligible.

Edit: added an IPS to fix the buggy sample engine. It tends to still sound very noisy in an emulator, but on a real system it's massively better.

• Site Admin
Pro Wrestling
Post Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:23 pm
Looks like I missed an SMS game... 1-bit audio at 31.7kHz - 35.6kHz, using a slight variant of the usual player (maybe an early one) which meant I missed it in my other searches.

Gokuaku Doumei Dump Matsumoto seems to have the same 1-2-3 samples but not the other two (used on the title screen in Pro Wrestling).
Pro Wrestling - 3.wav (16.29 KB)

Post Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:42 pm
Maxim wrote
More incomprehensible 1-bit audio :) When is this used, what is it saying? 36.0kHz, the high rate isn't helping...

Seems to be "PERFECT" ;)
You can hear it on this screen :

• Site Admin
Chakan
Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:15 pm
This is a bit interesting. It's the same engine underneath (mostly) as X-Men: Mojo World, but it's activating a feature which wasn't used there: echoing. The engine has a feature whereby it plays the sample on channel 0 as expected, but then it can delay the playback by a certain number of samples (here, 640 samples) for channels 1 and 2. It also sets the GG stereo so those channels are panned right and left respectively, although this has little effect apart from making them quieter as they are in sync with each other (the same delay) - a bit of difference might have given a reverb effect.

Furthermore, the audio is compressed. The game seems to use an LZ compressor for various assets, decompressing to RAM before it uses them. The samples are decompressed to $c660, then the length is inferred from the post-decompression state before playback starts. This makes sample extraction a bit hard - I had to write a decompressor input parser and chain it into the existing little-endian parser.

I've just ripped the samples without the echo. I'm not sure why they bothered with this (since it's always enabled), and didn't just bake it into the sample itself. Maybe the engine will be used in another game to do dynamic effects.

Little-endian 4-bit data used as PSG attenuations, played at 11.4kHz - 11.5kHz. The variation comes from the way the echo effect works - it causes the first 640 samples to be played a bit faster, plus there's some only approximately balanced branches in the code.

The compression seems to save about 35% of the space used by samples, but requires having a large buffer for decompression - 5.8KB in Chakan, although the LZ compression lookback is 12 bits so it could get by with a little less.
Chakan - Chakan.wav (11.72 KB)

Chakan - Scream.wav (10.27 KB)

• Site Admin
NFL '95
Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:37 pm
Back to sport, or to be more precise, "sports". It's the same engine as Chakan but without effects again, which also makes the sample rate consistent. No compression this time, although the code jumps through hoops to allow every sample to be in a different bank even when they are in phrases.

The samples are played in the following phrases:

"Offsides"
"Delay of Game"
"No" "Good"
"Touch" "Down"
"Time Out"
"First" "Down"
"It's" "Good"
"Second" "Down"
"Third" "Down"
"Fourth" "Down"
"Two Minute Warning"

So the phrase-building isn't used a lot, and some samples could be permanently combined. There's a lot of slots for more phrases, maybe they had expected to do more.

4-bit PCM emitted as PSG attenuations with no log compensation at 11.8kHz.
NFL '95 - First.wav (3.11 KB)

NFL '95 - Third.wav (3.63 KB)

NFL '95 - Down.wav (8.33 KB)

NFL '95 - It's.wav (3.23 KB)

NFL '95 - Good.wav (8.6 KB)

NFL '95 - No.wav (3.13 KB)

NFL '95 - Touch.wav (3.48 KB)

• Site Admin
Sassou Shounen Eiyuuden Coca Cola Kid (颯爽少年英雄伝 コカ・コーラ キッド)
Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:24 am
4-bit little-endian data in the "one sample player engine per sample" model which we'll see more of (I found a Mahjong game with 31 engines in it) for no good reason (the engine is parameterised, the only excuse is to save a few dozen bytes of unmapped space). Sample rates from 13.1kHz to 21.1kHz. I didn't find where the orchestral hit is played - it's a very fittingly dated sound for an overwhelmingly "tude" game.

• Site Admin
Aa Harimanada (ああ播磨灘)
Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:29 am
Same engine again, repeated once per sample. I guess they're samples from the anime, maybe that will help to transcribe them. 4-bit big-endian data at 8.1kHz.
Aa Haraminada - 1.wav (12.36 KB)

Aa Haraminada - 2.wav (19.72 KB)

• Site Admin
Defenders of Oasis/Shadam Crusader ~Harukanaru Oukoku~ (シャダム・クルセイダー ~遙かなる王国~)
Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:47 am
Same 4-bit big-endian engine again, this time from 8.1kHz to 18.3kHz. The Japanese game has Voice 3 stored twice, but the second one seems to be unused. Fans of the game may be able to give them better names.

• Site Admin
Crayon Shin-chan - Taiketsu! Kantamu Panic!! (クレヨンしんちゃん 対決!カンタムパニック!!)
Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:53 pm
The same engine again (I'm working through the detection list now), which I guess is a Sega Japan 4-bit engine. Nine samples with nine playback engines, all at 10997Hz. I guess they are all taken from the anime, and I have no idea what they are saying.

• Site Admin
Doraemon Nora no Suke no Yabou (ドラえもん ノラのすけの野望)
Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:56 pm
Sega 4-bit engine at a pitiful 4914Hz. Again the sounds may mean something to fans of the anime.

• Site Admin
GG Portrait - Yuuki Akira (GGポールトレート ゆうきあきら)
Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:59 pm
Just the one sample in this game, whereas the other GG Portrait game seems to have none. Sega 4-bit engine at 11952Hz and it's not a voice!

• Site Admin
J League Soccer Dream Eleven (Jリーグサッカードリームイレブン)
Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:22 pm
Sega 4-bit engine at 10997Hz. Four engines, three in the same bank...

• Site Admin
Kaitou Saint Tail (怪盗 セイント・テール)
Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:33 pm
Last edited by Maxim on Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
More Sega 4-bit anime samples at 10997Hz, lots of Japanese I don't understand.
Kaito Saint Tail - Voice 2.wav (27.69 KB)
"It's Showtime!"

• Site Admin
Kishin Douji Zenki (鬼神童子ZENKI)
Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:03 pm
Sega 4-bit engine again, one engine with multiple samples. Actually there are two, one is played at two sampling rates to give a lower- and higher-pitched voice (quite likely the same was done in the anime to make two voices from one actress). Sampling rates end up from 16.1kHz to 21.1kHz. It looks like anime is as sample-heavy as sports games, for some reason...

• Site Admin
The Lost World: Jurassic Park
Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:44 pm
Lots of dinosaur sounds, plus what sounds like a bird (which is type of dinosaur anyway). I haven't tried to label them at all. All are the Sega 4-bit engine at 7858Hz.
Lost World - 1.wav (19.25 KB)

Lost World - 2.wav (9.49 KB)

Lost World - 3.wav (15.14 KB)

Lost World - 4.wav (8.56 KB)

Lost World - 5.wav (14.19 KB)

Lost World - 6.wav (14.57 KB)

Lost World - 7.wav (23.82 KB)

• Site Admin
Sonic Drift (ソニック ドリフト)
Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:46 pm
Is this used in-game? 4-bit PCM at 21118Hz.

• Site Admin
Various Sega voices in Sonic games
Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:49 pm
There's a bunch of Sonic games with only the Sega voice, I did Sonic Blast and Sonic 2 some time ago, here's a bunch more, all 4-bit PCM. Sampling rates range from 10.1kHz to 24.9kHz. Many are in fact 100% identical.

• Site Admin
Taisen Mahjong Hao-Pai 2 (対戦麻雀 ハオパイ2 (好牌))
Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:59 pm
The one you've been waiting for! 31 samples, 31 sample player engines! 4-bit audio at 14463Hz. I labelled a few of them, the rest are mostly Japanese and include the hex offset of the audio in the filename...

• Site Admin
Tama & Friends - 3 Choume Kouen Tamalympic (タマ&フレンズ 3丁目公園 タマリンピック)
Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:07 pm
A single 4-bit PCM sample at 12494Hz.

• Site Admin
The Quiz Gear Fight!! (ザ・クイズギアファイト!!)
Post Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:36 am
Last edited by Maxim on Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
4-bit PCM between 7434Hz and 11455Hz. Lots of unlabelled ones.

• Site Admin
Neko Dai Suki! (ねこ大好き!)
Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:42 pm
So, what you're looking for is a set of eight 4-bit 8594Hz samples of cats miaowing? You've come to the right place!

I think that's the end of the >1 bit samples across the whole library. All that remains is a scary number of GG baseball titles...

• Site Admin
Pro Yakyuu GG League '94 (プロ野球GGリーグ’94)
Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:43 pm
1-bit samples between 15.7kHz and 22.0kHz. There's more in the ROM than are used in-game, the missing ones are the usual baseball samples but I didn't bother to extract them as the cut points are not determinable.

• Site Admin
Hyper Pro Yakyuu '92 (ハイパー(超)プロ野球’92)
Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:12 pm
What seems to be the same samples as every other 8-bit baseball game, but with a slightly different way of looking them up than usual. 1-bit, 14.0kHz - 17.7kHz.

• Site Admin
The Majors Pro Baseball
Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:15 pm
This seems to be a conversion of Hyper Chou Pro Yakyuu '92, only they reduced the played length of the "Out-o" sample to cut off the "-o". The data seems the same in the ROM. 1-bit, 14.0kHz - 17.7kHz.

• Site Admin
Nomo's World Series Baseball (野茂英雄のワールドシリーズベースボール), World Series Baseball '95
Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:18 pm
Last edited by Maxim on Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
The same samples as usual (in their US English variants), 1-bit at 11.7kHz - 12.8kHz.

The code and data is identical in World Series Baseball '95.

• Site Admin
The Pro Yakyuu '91 (THEプロ野球’91)
Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:23 pm
Identical samples to the SMS version (The Pro Yakyuu Pennant Race). 1-bit, 15.7kHz - 22.0kHz. It has the same phrase-building as that game.

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!