Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - VGM tracking in FTII ! Instructions... fx^ and others, read!

Reply to topic
Martin Skog
VGM tracking in FTII ! Instructions... fx^ and others, read!
Post Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 11:13 am
Master System PSG tracking in Fasttracker II 2.08

The original PSG music in the Sega Master System used 3 channels for squarewaves (in FT2: channels 0, 1 and 2) and one channel for noisewaves (in FT2: channel 3).

The Master System didn't have a set of different ready-to-use squarewave or noise instruments, e.g. samples with different vibrato and volumescalingeffects, but isntead processed squarewaves and noisewaves and then processed vibrato and volumescalingeffects through the PSG.

To emulate this as faithful as possible in FT2 I use to do like this:

Only two instruments should be available, one short squarewave sample (only one looped wave) and a looped noise sample. The squarewave instrument may have many different squarewave samples in different frequencies to emulate different kinds "hardness" and "bassnes" due to how low or high the sample is; with just one squaresample the lower bass tones may sound too soft, or the higher tones may sound too hard.

No volumescalings or auto-vibrato in the actual instruments settings can be used.

HOW DO I USE VOLUME SCALING EFFECTS?

When you have tracked one channel of e.g. a melody or bassline, use the volume column to emulate the volume scaling effects. This may get the instruments to sound more like e.g. a fake piano (by fade out the volume fast at first, and then more slowly, with no vibrato) or more like a fake flute (by let the volume start very low, maybe even at 00, and then fade it in fast, and when it has reached the desired volume; use a little vibrato in the effects column). The same goes for the noise, and you can easily emulate drums by fading out the volume fast to zero. Kicks and snares at different frequencies, and open and closed hihat at a high frequency with shorter fade-out for closed hihats and longer fade-outs for open hihats.

HOW DO I USE VIBRATO?

In the effects column, type 4 in the leftmost line for vibrato, and then in the middle line a number from 1-f for vibrato speed, and finally in the rightmost line a numbre from 1-f for vibrato depth. Continue to type 4 in the leftmost line, but no other information, a bit down as long as you wish the vibrato to last.

You can also use pitchbend-effects in PSG tunes. Some rare tunes use arpeggio, mostly tunes composed by european musicians.

You can use my "Phantasy Star" XM available in the non-vgm section as model if you want to.

Martin Skog

Post Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 7:55 am
maybe you are right... I only want to say that I cannot publish the VGM tracker because I stopped working for my school final examinations. If you'll be patient, I think that on July I'll be back on work and you'll have a specific tool to edit and compose VGM music... I think that FT2 cannot import VGM files...
I am very sorry if I can't work these days, but I am not very good at school and I had no free time for the rest, I had to study if I want to pass!
I hope that you all will excuse me!

Bye.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!