Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Sega Master System Gender Adapter (FOR PAL CONSOLE)

Reply to topic
Sega Master System Gender Adapter (FOR PAL CONSOLE)
Post Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:09 pm
Hello, I'm after a Vertical Sega Master System Gender Adapter but one that will allow me to play my Japanese Games on my (PAL) Master System as well as the SMS Boot Loader BIOS which i would also need in order to play the Games.

If there's anybody who has the time & skills to create one of these please let me know as well as how much you would be after including the postage.

Thanks, Ro

("TO BE THIS GOOD TAKES AGES")
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:04 am
It's not a gender adaptor, it's a cartridge converter, plus an embedded BIOS by the sound of it. I don't think such a thing exists yet.
Post Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:19 am
I think the poster is after a custom gender adapter for the expansion port, along with a cartridge flashed with Bock's SMS Boot Loader to enable booting from the expansion port (along with having a valid header) rather than an "all in one" converter/embedded bios solution.
Post Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:55 am
Maxim wrote
It's not a gender adaptor, it's a cartridge converter, plus an embedded BIOS by the sound of it. I don't think such a thing exists yet.

Would that be hard to do though? What if you had an eprom with a bootable image on it just to fool the built in sms bios into booting from the cart slot. From there you could look for a read at the rom start address, indicating the boot process passed and the system wants to boot the game, and use some simple logic to swap the OE lines between the eprom and game and let the games rom take over from there.
Post Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:11 pm
Well, ive started having a crack at making this. I decided to prototype this in plugable parts to make things easier as i can chuck away a section without having to waste all of it if it doesn't work out. Ive built a pitch adapter board thats wired straight through from a 44 pin .125" socket down to a 50 pin .1" card edge. That was really just to make life easier as tracking between different pitch widths is a pain, and the 44 pin .125" sockets also seem to be really expensive, so i don't want to waste them. I then built a Export to Jap adapter board for that to plug into. It works fine with a SG-1000 game on a master system with the Jap BIOS so ive at least got that bit right. Still need to test a Mk III game thats got a mapper (got one on it way from Ebay) but i imagine that will work fine too. Next ill work on a BIOS board that the above can plug into and see how that goes. For Mark III carts it should be fairly straight forward but sg-1000/sc-3000 carts that used "on cart ram" it might require a bit more thought to keep compatibility there. Not much you can do about the colour pallet differences on the sg-1000/sc-3000 though, so it may or may not be worth the hassle of bothering with RAM compatibility issues anyway.

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!