Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Bruce Lee SMS conversion - development thread

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:58 pm
10/10! This had been a SMS-classic had it been released back in the day!

This really has been the year of Bruce Lee, first the incredible port of Bruce Lee II to the C64 and now this!
Post Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:42 pm
I just finished the game and liked it a lot. A very good reworked conversion. Well done Kagesan.

Have you considered the possibility of doing a version with FM music?
Post Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:19 pm
As Bock said, I'm pretty sure you'll see repros on ebay...exactly like the one attached.

One idea to avoid sells on ebay.

Place some gfx (or anything else) in 33th bank (or more).
It will make a rom greater than 512kb but with this you'll never see a repro on ebay ;)
(ps. my board can handle 1mo roms)

Post Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:25 pm
An Euro-style repro with the North American cover artwork. Very clever.
Post Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:49 pm
The fact that that thing on eBay has been posted by an Italian guy makes me even more ashamed to live in this country. I wonder, are they hiring engineers in France / Germany / whatever?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:16 pm
Tom that has nothing to do with the country, people from all over the place make repros. They are fine in some context (also here it's advertised as a repro) and abusive in others. Let's not make this topic about repros. (Also, every country is hiring engineers.)
Post Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:48 am
Thanks, all of you.

Bock wrote
It's also an honor and a pleasure that you decided to stick a SMS Power! logo there.

I feel that it's as much a product of this community as it is mine. Without your help figuring out the dumbest of mistakes as well as the most obscure of bugs the project would have gone nowhere fast. Without Maxim's tools there wouldn't be any graphics, without Martin's and sverx's efforts there would be no music, without Toms, vingazole's and kusfo's help no manual. Not to forget the invaluable development tools of MEKA and Emulicious. Placing a little logo in honour of this great community seemed like the least I could do.

On the topic of repros: I guess there's little you can do about it (ROM bank trickery notwithstanding). I just feel sorry for people who get ripped off buying one.

Regarding a physical production run. I like the idea, but I don't really want the project to turn in any way commercial. Maybe a small batch of a members only special edition... I'll have to think about it.

Tom wrote
Also, is the final boss really supposed to be that easy?

Oh, yes. He's supposed to be a total pushover.

Kroc wrote
Now do Bruce Lee II!

No way! It wouldn't actually be all that complicated to remodel the existing engine, though, as the inofficial part 2 does use even fewer types of hazards than the original. But I won't delve into another project of this size soon.

Wesker wrote
Have you considered the possibility of doing a version with FM music?

I know nothing about FM music, so no.
Post Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:36 pm
This is awesome, man. Good job adding a whole new game to the Master System!
Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:41 am
This is awesome! Beautiful, well-balanced and authentic. I admire your work, and your year-long dedication to see this project to the end!

Of course I now look forward to the writeup chronicling your development proces :) ... hey, but I'm serious. I would love to read a little about how you have worked from a little one screen compo entry to a full game! Get some well-deserved rest on your laurels, and then do a Bob Pape-inspired article. Please.

In the mean time, I'll flyin' kick Yamo's ass.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:33 am
Kagesan wrote
Without Maxim's tools there wouldn't be any graphics, without Martin's and sverx's efforts there would be no music

Yet all this tools are available to everyone and we don't see such gifts everyday (still? ;) )
Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:06 pm
This is a thing of beauty. Congrats on completing it! If you're considering doing a limited physical production run I would *definitely* be interested.
Post Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:08 pm
Last edited by Kagesan on Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
So... the cart ichigobankai made for me arrived, and I decided that this awesome gift deserved a special treatment. So I made a case and a physical manual (see attached pictures).

After reading through the manual once more, though, I suddenly realised that I forgot to mention something: I don't know if any of you are aware of it, but the game has a 2 player simultaneous mode. If you start the game by pressing a button on the second controller, the second player can control Green Yamo (only in the rooms where he's available). That feature has actually been in the game from the very beginning.

I won't update the manual, so I guess it's a hidden feature now. ;-)
BL_Case_inside.jpg (128.67 KB)
BL_Case_inside.jpg
BL_Case_outside.jpg (175.56 KB)
BL_Case_outside.jpg

Post Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:19 pm
Last edited by vingazole on Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Congratulations for your great work, Kagesan !

I never suspected the "second player" feature ;)
Post Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:30 pm
vingazole wrote
I think ichigobankai made the cartmod (at least i'm sure it's not me) ;)

You're right, of course. Sorry for the confusion. Edited the above post to give proper credit.
Post Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:14 pm
I just gave a try and wow, it really feels like an official conversion from back in the day!

I never got much into this game when I was little due to the ZX Spectrum version kinda sucking, but I'll sure try to finish this version on my Mega Drive. Great work!
wooow!
Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:12 pm
This cartmodd looks as sexy as the game itself *jealous*

*,* ^^
Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2015 12:07 am
I just noticed something on the cover: I felt something was off so I compared it with my other games. The text on the back cover and the spine is superimposed with the background grid, whereas on original covers the text has a blank background, even the small prints. It makes it a bit difficult to read (especially the German part, with a horizontal line in the middle of it) and the spine stands out a lot when placed amongst other boxes. I tried to correct the pdf myself but it is protected.
Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2015 8:11 am
jarreboum wrote
I just noticed something on the cover: I felt something was off so I compared it with my other games. The text on the back cover and the spine is superimposed with the background grid, whereas on original covers the text has a blank background, even the small prints. It makes it a bit difficult to read (especially the German part, with a horizontal line in the middle of it) and the spine stands out a lot when placed amongst other boxes. I tried to correct the pdf myself but it is protected.

You're right. I should have put white boxes behind the text. (On the back I tried to achieve a similar effect with a white border on the text, but it's not the same.) I'll keep it in mind for next time.
Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:59 pm
I really appreciate all the work you've put into this, Kagesan, but I just couldn't help it - I had to make my own insert-artwork for it.
Everybody, feel free to use this (for personal use) as you like.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/db54zhm8jetfzz2/bruce_lee_master_system_pal_insert_pri...

Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2015 1:29 pm
Last edited by jarreboum on Thu May 07, 2015 3:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Damn, everybody is making awesome art! This one is great in a later Master System style.

Allow me to nitpick, though:
- What's wrong with your "L"? on the back cover, every L letter seem to be of a variable width, completely clashing with the rest of the text. Maybe it's just a bug from Adobe Reader, I haven't tried to print it yet.
- The title on the spine isn't correctly centered. The grey line should be aligned with the horizontal in the letter "e". Only for "The Mega Cartridge" though.
- "The Mega Cartridge" on the spine historically only appeared on games that didn't have the Genre bubble yet in the corner. It's like mixing two time periods.

As I said, nitpicks. You did a pretty great job!
Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2015 1:43 pm
I feel a bit uncomfy to hijack this thread to discuss the artwork here, but opening another thread on the other hand would be awkward too so if it's okay I'll just answer that...

Yes, that's an Adobe-Reader issue, if you zoom in or print it it will be flawless. I could fix the screen-view by adding more anchors to the the straight vectors but that would blow up the filesize too.
I used a hires scan of R-Type that I've made to position all of my Elements. I tried to align everything on the very same spot.
I have to admit I seem to know very little about the timeline in relation to the artworl of the sms, I guess I wouldn't have made such a mix if I did a Mega Drive or SNES artwork. I used it because it was there in Kagesan's boxart, not knowing that it's actually not to be there.
Yes, I can confirm the spine-text is a bit off, but this is only because the R-Type-boxart-designer did it the very same way.

This is the insert that I used to make mine:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27485470/r-type_master_system_pal.tif?dl=1
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2015 2:08 pm
Really cool artwork!

If I were to date that Bruce Lee compared to other SMS games it would be an late 1988 game in the west perhaps? To be very nitpicky one could follow the cover style from that period. Both covers are already good tho.
Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2015 3:49 pm
ArcadeTV wrote
Yes, I can confirm the spine-text is a bit off, but this is only because the R-Type-boxart-designer did it the very same way.

Yes, I updated my review. The title is correct, it's the "The Mega Cartridge" that's a bit too low. But if you correct it then they won't be aligned any more and it will look off. I guess there is no way to have it right in both ways.
Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2015 6:13 pm
Very nice artwork, good job. I really like it, although I tend to find the early Sega covers with the funny pictures a little more charming, obviously. (At least they are when I look at them through my nostalgia goggles.)
Post Posted: Fri May 08, 2015 9:12 pm
Sorry to bother with another offtopic, but I really want to finish my custom pcb and need some help. If anybody could verify my schematic here:
http://www.smspower.org/forums/13203-GGSMSFlashCartridgeSchematicAndCPLDPofFile
that'd be really awesome.
Post Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:44 am
How have I not played this until now!? I wanted to several times, but I never got around to it...

Kagesan and everyone else who contributed, this is absolutely outstanding work! Fun to play, easy on the eyes and ears, and polished to a shine. I agree with everyone else who said it feels like an authentic release. If you guys do decide to make a few repros, I would definitely buy one.

It's funny. I had heard about the game before this port, but this is my first time playing it in any capacity. It took me a few tries to really get going, and a few more to get through the caves, but even though it was fairly smooth sailing after that (despite a few tense moments), I never felt let down by this game. Well, except for the "end boss," but that isn't any of you guys' fault. :P

Also, I have to say, ArcadeTV, your cover art for the game is breathtaking! Where is that illustration of Bruce from? It fits in so perfectly with the effect of him chopping through the background that it looks like it was made for the game! You definitely have talent in the area of design and composition, because that slip looks just as authentic as the game itself. When I look at it, I think, "God, I want that game on my shelf!"

Still, Kagesan's cover is great too. It perfectly captures the look of the early releases, creating a feeling of nostalgia.

All of you deserve the highest praise. This is a great achievement and a total landmark in SMS homebrew!
Post Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:11 am
I took the Illustration from an Atari-Ad:
http://www.atarimania.com/pubs/hi_res/pub_bruce_lee.jpg

All other Elements (except for the screenshots) were either redrawn in Adobe Illustrator or ripped from official sources to be as authentic as possible.
Post Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:04 pm
I just got a package containing prints of both inserts, kagesan's and mine, printed in offset just like the real thing. They look and feel exactly the same as SEGA used to print those back in the days.
If anybody wants one of these sets please let me know by PM.
They're limited in number and sure gone in a short time.

Some impressions:
https://picasaweb.google.com/115948745418514736250/BruceLee?authuser=0&feat=...
Post Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:41 pm
Please Kagesan, never stop programming for the Master System!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:11 pm
Those prints seem rather better quality than the originals, at least the screen size seems a lot smaller. It seems to lack the silver ink on the grid, though.
Post Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:49 pm
Actually the screen-effekt looks identical once the print sits in his place. I chose a grey-tone that corresponds with the paper, the shine looks really good and it just wasn't worth an extra color that way. I'd love to send you a set since you have such eagle-eyes ^^
Thanks!
Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:25 am
@ArcadeTV: Amazing artwork dude, I like it a lot!

@Kagesan: I would love to get a cartmodd of your masterpiece for my ´little´ collection. Is there absolutely no chance to get one? If you won´t see it somewhere online, I can easily keep it as a secret =)
Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:05 pm
Damn, ArcadeTV, that looks amazing!
Post Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:38 pm
Well, I guess many of you (at least of those in the UK) have seen this already but maybe some don't...

This appeared on retro*GAMER issue 142

(I guess it's fair use...)
RG_142.png (112.21 KB)
Bruce Lee SMS featured :)
RG_142.png

Post Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:24 am
Congrats!!!
Post Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:15 pm
I actually have a subscription of the mag. You can imagine how surprised I was to find that review in there. Btw, the following issue had a very positive review of jmimu's Lander 2, iirc.
Post Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:23 pm
H Kagesan i was looking through your code and noticed your using a lut for bruce's jumping and was curious if the c64 version also handles it this way.
Post Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:46 pm
OmegaPrime wrote
H Kagesan i was looking through your code and noticed your using a lut for bruce's jumping and was curious if the c64 version also handles it this way.

I have no idea, as I wrote the whole game from scratch and did not look at disassemblies of any other versions, so I don't know if my solutions are in any way similar to those of the original coders. To me, using a lookup table for the jumping just seemed like the most straightforward way of implementing it.
Post Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:45 pm
Thank you for the answer
Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:44 pm
I used to play the excellent Spectrum versión when I was a kid and this one captures the essence of that game, plus graphics and sounds adapted to the SMS, cograts, Kagesan!! I completed it today :)

By the way, a question, where are you from, Kagesan?

Thanks for this really good game!
Post Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:28 am
Ivanzx wrote
I used to play the excellent Spectrum versión when I was a kid and this one captures the essence of that game, plus graphics and sounds adapted to the SMS, cograts, Kagesan!! I completed it today :)

I'm glad you like it. My version has actually been modeled after the Spectrum one, mostly because it has the same screen resolution as the SMS so I didn't have to change the level layouts too much. Additionally, the enemy AI is much more agressive on the Spectrum than on the Commodore and Atari versions, which I like, as it ups the challenge a bit. I actually went through a replay of the Spectrum version frame by frame to get the timing of everything just right.

People who are used to the Commodore or Atari version sometimes seem to have some difficulties adjusting to the differences, though.

Ivanzx wrote

I'm from Germany.
Post Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:06 pm
Kagesan wrote
Ivanzx wrote

I'm glad you like it. My version has actually been modeled after the Spectrum one, mostly because it has the same screen resolution as the SMS so I didn't have to change the level layouts too much. Additionally, the enemy AI is much more agressive on the Spectrum than on the Commodore and Atari versions, which I like, as it ups the challenge a bit. I actually went through a replay of the Spectrum version frame by frame to get the timing of everything just right.

People who are used to the Commodore or Atari version sometimes seem to have some difficulties adjusting to the differences, though.

Ivanzx wrote

I'm from Germany.

Thanks, funnily enough I also live in Germany although I am not German :)

Yes, the Spectrum version is quite good and many praise it, as it is very very playable. Its also funny that I found the behaviour of Yamo and Ninja tougher in your SMS version than the Spectrum one :)

Thanks for the game, again ;)
Found, played on my android emu, ... and finished!!
Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:58 pm
Hi!! Congratulations, awesome conversion!! I used to enjoy this game on my Spectrum, some 30 years ago. It was a nice feeling to revive these days by playing your remake, Kagesan!!

I had to register my accont here just to say a big THANK YOU!!
Screenshot_2017-03-30-01-31-27.png (240.61 KB)
Finished!!
Screenshot_2017-03-30-01-31-27.png

Post Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:24 am
Just like Pitercio, I just stumbled upon this conversion and its amazing, registered here only to post this :-) Used to play the game on my Atari 800XE almost 30 years back and you sir captured the gameplay so neatly. I love the gfx and the fluid animation, its hard to beleive this is on a SMS (which I still have somewhere in a box). Thanks for this perfect remake!
Post Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:57 am
Just wanted to post to say thanks for this, I played this on my ZX Spectrum back in the 80's.

I've made my own Game Gear bootleg version for my collection (strictly not for sale).

Post Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:40 pm
I am hoping in the near future for a Master System port of the Bruce Lee II :)
More infos about the fan sequel in the link below: http://kollektivet.nu/brucelee2/
Post Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:02 am
A programmer reversed engineered the original game source code and used that engine to build a new game.

https://megastyle.itch.io/bruce-lee-return-of-fury
Post Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:06 am
Thanks to sverx, I could finally make a video of this homebrew game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6RpKZEOcT4

I also hate Youtube because they apparently dropped support for the TSCC codec without saying a word, so I've been fighting against unexplained processing errors for the past three days, yay.
Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:31 am
Tom wrote
Thanks to sverx, I could finally make a video of this homebrew game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6RpKZEOcT4

So it worked! Good :)
Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:05 pm
Yeah, it worked perfectly, thanks to you. The delay in the upload has only been caused by youtube itself, I had that video ready on the same day you sent me the fixed Dega.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!