Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - [Coding competition 2015] Zombi Terror by Baron Ashler, nitrofurano

Reply to topic

Rate this entry!

1 (Poor) 0% 0%
2 0% 0%
3 0% 0%
4 5% 5%
5 36% 36%
6 26% 26%
7 15% 15%
8 15% 15%
9 (Excellent) 0% 0%
This poll has expired.
  • Site Admin
[Coding competition 2015] Zombi Terror by Baron Ashler, nitrofurano
Post Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:39 pm
http://www.smspower.org/Homebrew/ZombiTerror-SMS
Post Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:55 pm
Nice art style and this is pretty fricking ace that it is written in BASIC.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:32 pm
I don't know if it's my random generator but the game is really hard. I mapped the island and managed to escape after many attempts, then gave up on the second part :) is the game finishable?
Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:13 pm
@tripledonkey - thanks from my part! :)
@Maxim - the source is there! ;) - btw, the code still have some persisting bugs to be fixed, but (as i can remember... :D ) the random is only used from zombies attacks, or if they appear or not or which of them (depending on the map coordinates) - and yes, the game is finishable (at least on the other released versions it is - if it's not finishable in SMS version it's because those bugs i'm mentioning about)
Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:57 am
I like the concept of this. Great artwork, too. Unfortunately, the game glitches quite a lot on my favourite emulators (Emulicious first and foremost).
Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:28 am
Kagesan wrote
I like the concept of this. Great artwork, too. Unfortunately, the game glitches quite a lot on my favourite emulators (Emulicious first and foremost).

Actually it's a bug in both, Emulicious and the game.
The bug in Emulicious will be fixed with the next update.
The game has the instruction ld ($33c7), hl at $75. This should be ld ($c733), hl instead. It seems like the byte-order of the argument got swapped here.
Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:13 am
Oh - a carribean zombie horror adventure game! Its visual expression is serious and realistic. I don't think there is quite something like this on the SMS.

I would love to play it more and really explore the island, but I'm constantly overrun by zombies and a (boss-like?) guy name Father Lucious. The zombie-infestation of this island is so massive it needs a small army, not a lone explorer :)
Post Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:30 pm
I really want to like this game but it's just to difficult to enjoy. Every time I've tried it I'm just swamped with Zombis. Pretty much every screen I'm attacked. If I was allowed to move around and explore a little more it would certainly add to the sense of place and help with the overall experience. As it is just now, it's just not much fun. :(

I like the premise (and I'm going to try the game on other platforms) and I like the idea of a text adventure on a controller (d pad to choose n,s,e and w is nice). The presentation is great and the graphics are good. Just lighten up on the Zombi attacks. :)
Post Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:03 am
Hmm. I had the opposite experience. I was a bit surprised this didn't do better in the voting. I wandered a bit, and don't think it is possible to beat, but it has many wonderful features. The artwork is great, and I love the fact there is an inventory system, and a world layout. I suspect some of the screens lead back to one another in strange ways. It's also nice to have different enemies.

For me this was one of the more enjoyable entries in the compo, featuring a fresh look. Not surprisingly lander was the take home winner, being a fully realized beginning to end game, but I'm sure this entry would have done much better if gameplay had been developed even a bit more. Having an end destination really helps.

Normally I wouldn't say anything, since I don't want to be patronizing. This is much better than anything I could do. Several elements of a "fun" game were here, just in need of a little polish.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:59 am
Last edited by Bock on Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
I cleared the first map, so that's definitively possible (I mapped the level on paper, and sacrificed many plays to just map it and find the most efficient path). Gave up on the second level.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:11 pm
Neat! I'm going to give this another try :) I was never able to beat father Lucious. I think his HP resets every encounter, and I rarely get a chance at second attack. (maybe the game doesn't consider it a unique enemy. Were you able to defeat him, or is he there to avoid?

p.s. what is mapper, some utility?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:11 pm
Sorry I had made a typo "mapper" should have been "paper" :)
The enemies a new every time to see them. Escape is often better until you get better weapons.
Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:52 pm
Neat little game thanks :)
Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:48 am
I´ve beaten the Mega Drive version, but I used an online map for it. It´s possible to beat it without a map at the start, but it takes a huge amount of time to draw a map yourself.

And guys, don´t forget that this game is called Zombi Terror, no wonder that you encounter a few Zombies here and there.. :D

It´s a very hard game, yes, but it´s not a modern Super Mario game *lol* and if you beat it, you will feel great because you know you finished a very hard game here. Feels way better than finishing some Wii games lol
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!