SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Incomplete track on Golden Axe Warrior

Reply to topic
Incomplete track on Golden Axe Warrior
Post Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 3:34 pm
Hi all :)
First of all, i wish to thak you for the work you, it is long, sometimes boring, but in the end, we are always rewarded =)

I have noticed the track "Magic" on the Golden Axe Warrior set was incomplete, it loops too early and so, a big part of music is cut. Its structure is in fact:

=> loop

instead of:

=> loop

by the way, it is exactly the same tune as the first stage in Golden Axe ^.^

well, that's all, i hope i was convincing enough ;)

ps.: i sent an email to Paul Jensen more than one month ago, and he didn't bother to answer. i wonder why, i was correct and not impatient, so i'd like to know why è_é
I'm glad I happened to see this message (more...)
Post Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 5:15 am
> ps.: i sent an email to Paul Jensen more than one month ago, and he didn't bother to answer. i wonder why, i was correct and
not impatient, so i'd like to know why è_é

D'oh! I'm glad I caught this message. I did indeed reply to your message, but got an 'unrecognized address' message in response. I wasn't sure where you had heard about vgm2mid, whether it was from here, from Eidolon's Inn, or from my Web site, and to be honest, I didn't want to go around to every message board I've posted on and post messages try to get your attention in the slim chance that you might come across them. No offense, of course. :)

Anyway, in regard to a note approximation, I’ve already given some thought to doing this. One of these days (i.e. this summer), I may add an option to input tempo. If one inputs a proper tempo, one should only have to trim notes at the beginning of a track in order for the notes to line up properly.

This is probably easier said than done, but I can't imagine that it is impossible.

Relax for now, and hopefully sometime this Summer I'll have a new version ready to go. I might even update the old version written in VB5.
Re: I'm glad I happened to see this message (more...)
Post Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 4:01 pm
ow, ok, sorry for being mean... as so many people don't bother to answer messages, i thought.... ;) but i don't understand why it didn't work °_°

ok, i'm glad my idea is considered ^^ i may add some other suggestions... for example, in order to perfect the result with vgm2mid, i noticed something particular the behaving of psg musics.

in a given track, there are less notes really coded than what we can hear. for example, a succession of notes can be coded with just a long note, with different parameters happening meanwhile, which cause to hear a distinct note.

pitch bending is often used in order to make a sequence of notes. If the bending is total and sudden (just as stairs), going from 128 to 256, the pitch is up a tone (of a half tone, i don't remember), and converting the psg to midi gives too this pitch bending, which is difficult to edit, and the score does not reprensent the real melody. So i suggest you to add a feature so that VGM2MID detects stair-like pitch bending and interprets it as a distinct note, at the given pitch. i don't think this would be very difficult to code (something like "at T=x, if pbend = 128 AND if at T=x+dx pbend = 256, then pitch = pitch+1" or something like that. this is of course far from complete, but this is the idea ^^)
by the way, the same thing happens for sound level, it is used to create separate notes, where a single note is coded in the psg music. and the system would be the same

where did i learn about your program? hmmm, i don't really remember... but i think i first found it on the Zophar's Domain (zophar.net), it was some monsths ago, in fact :)
Post Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 9:40 pm
woah, my bad :(

i currently don't have windows (it has crashed on me for the last time now!) so i'm trying to get as many of the windows programs i used as possible up and running under Linux, either with a native linux version or using wine.

if someone wants to fix this tune and add to the package i would be very happy, otherwise i might fix it when i have the time, hopefully there is a good wav editing program for linux, and vgmtool might work with wine. (just checked an old version, ran fine)

sidenote: winamp runs fine under wine so you can listen to vgm's in linux using it, i also got meka running with wine.
broken picture
Post Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 9:43 pm
sorry, picture didnt't work

http://80.88.106.241/vgmtool.jpg
And more...
Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 1:50 pm
I submited an idea in the precedent post, and i have another one of the same kind:
pitch bending is too used a long to create wavelets in the sonority, and it is converted into pitch bending in the midi file as well. but in fact, this sinusoidal pitch bending maybe interpreted as modulation, as there is a parameter in midi files that can configure it, so i suggest you to add this feature as well, but it is substantially more difficult to realize than my previous idea, though. Using modulation would allow to have smaller files, files easier to edit, as modulation would be coded as only start, intensity and length, whereas pitch bending which codes modulation is much more complicated, because each variation is coded separately.
what do you think of it?
Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:00 am
I deserve the award of the golden shovel for unearthing this topic !

I don't really get why, but the fix I made twelve years ago on the Golden Axe Warrior set, in this very topic, was obliterated, so here we go again.

Admin: Now at http://www.smspower.org/Music/GoldenAxeWarrior-SMS
Post Posted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:00 am
Updated pack. Repackaged, txt updated, and files made frame accurate. Understandable, considering this pack seems to be 11+ years old.

Now at 1.03
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!