SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Bruce Lee SMS conversion - development thread

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:07 am
Thanks, you all.

hang-on wrote
Why are the keys mapped Alex Kidd - aka. reversed - style? Is it not more intuitive to have attack on button 1 and jump on button 2? Maybe you are just keeping the original layout?

Nah, the original layout just had one button and you had to jump by pushing the joystick up. I guess I never really thought about it. There's really no deeper meaning behind it for sure. I can easily switch it around if that's generally preferred.

hang-on wrote
Petty detail: Remember to update the relase dates and version numbering on the homebrew page.

D'oh! Done now. For some reason I was under the impression that the date would update automatically, which apparently it doesn't.

While the full release of the game is still quite a long way away, I want to make it something special and provide boxart and a full multi-language manual along with it. I've already recruited a couple of members for the translations with great results (thanks, guys), but I would like a native speaker to have a look at my english text to make sure it's not gibberish. Any volunteers please PM me.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:51 am
The case where the homebrew was uploaded on the day of release is so rare that it would be unhelpful to make it automatically update.
Post Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:57 am
Kagesan wrote
Thanks, you all.

hang-on wrote
Why are the keys mapped Alex Kidd - aka. reversed - style? Is it not more intuitive to have attack on button 1 and jump on button 2? Maybe you are just keeping the original layout?

Nah, the original layout just had one button and you had to jump by pushing the joystick up. I guess I never really thought about it. There's really no deeper meaning behind it for sure. I can easily switch it around if that's generally preferred.

I've only tried it on a Megadrive with a Mega Everdrive (I don't have a Master Everdrive), but Jump is correctly mapped to 2 and hit to 1 on my end, aka Super Mario controls. I can't love Zillion 2 because of its terrible "inverted" scheme! The rerelease of Alex Kidd in Miracle world, included only in some SMS2 BIOSes, corrected the flawed control scheme and put 2 as the jump button, as it should.

Kagesan wrote
While the full release of the game is still quite a long way away, I want to make it something special and provide boxart and a full multi-language manual along with it. I've already recruited a couple of members for the translations with great results (thanks, guys), but I would like a native speaker to have a look at my english text to make sure it's not gibberish. Any volunteers please PM me.

Can't wait. Small grid/big picture or large grid/funny drawing? :D

[edit] Try using a second controller guys :)
Post Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:03 am
jarreboum wrote
Small grid/big picture or large grid/funny drawing?

Large grid, funny drawing. :-)
Post Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:56 am
jarreboum wrote
Kagesan wrote
Thanks, you all.
hang-on wrote

I've only tried it on a Megadrive with a Mega Everdrive (I don't have a Master Everdrive), but Jump is correctly mapped to 2 and hit to 1 on my end, aka Super Mario controls. I can't love Zillion 2 because of its terrible "inverted" scheme! The rerelease of Alex Kidd in Miracle world, included only in some SMS2 BIOSes, corrected the flawed control scheme and put 2 as the jump button, as it should.

If that bothers you, there's a relatively simple fix if you're handy with a soldering iron. Take a Genesis (clone?) controller, cut the select line in the controller and wire it via a pull-up resistor (I use 100K, but really anything above 4.7K is "reasonable") to +5V. This essentially makes any Genesis controller act as an SMS controller, where B is button 1 and C is button 2. So now, here's the magic: wire up the signal side (not common ground) from the C button to the A button, and wire up the signal from B to Start. Why? Because if you do that, you can use A and B as a flipped configuration to avoid those annoying games (and Start will work as the start button in SMS games that are expecting a press from button 1).
This works with 6 button pads too, but X/Y/Z and Mode will be disabled. I've thought of making a little PCB so that X/Y/Z are turbo of 2/1/2, but I find it easy enough to just ignore them. I've got 6 button clone pads from some eBay seller, and it had little places on each connection where the solder mask had been removed, like they expected someone to mod this controller for some reason. In any case, they're ideal for it.
Post Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:43 pm
I was considering making a controller adapter that would simply switch the db9 pins corresponding to button inputs. I just never took the time to actually do it. The Megadrive controller trick is cool too.
Post Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:20 pm
Yeah, that's another way to skin the cat :)
The only original SMS pads I have are missing the plastic D-pad piece, so I've been playing with modified MD controllers for that reason. They're something like 2 for US$5 on eBay -- pretty much the cheapest controllers on any console I've found, so it's convenient.
Post Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:27 pm
I've finally had my PAL SMS II modded with a 50/60Hz switch and I could run few tests.
First: I confirm it's great. Well done, nice graphics, nice music, nice SFXs :)
Unfortunately my CRT (and I believe many others) just can't show what's on the leftmost column. This isn't a great problem per se, until it actually starts affecting gameplay... and there are few spots where I can't see there's a wall there on the left. I suggest you don't place anything of some importance on the leftmost and rightmost columns.
Then I noticed sometimes enemies can get stuck, it happens mainly on stairs/conveior belts (waterfalls?).
Last thing: I can see 'snow' on the very bottom edge of the screen when fading in/out. I bet just 2 pixel lower and they would be offscreen.
Please keep the great work going on :)
Cheers, and Happy 2015!
Post Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:30 am
Thank you. That's very valuable feedback.

sverx wrote
Unfortunately my CRT (and I believe many others) just can't show what's on the leftmost column. This isn't a great problem per se, until it actually starts affecting gameplay... and there are few spots where I can't see there's a wall there on the left. I suggest you don't place anything of some importance on the leftmost and rightmost columns.

Since I want to keep the room layouts as close to the original as possible, there's very little I can do about it. It only really is a problem in rooms where you don't see a passage open up on the left side, though. If I look at the map that's 2 out of 20, so I think it's tolerable. In the other rooms you'd see at least the shadow from the leftmost wall disappear. People whose TVs don't show the rightmost column are pretty much out of luck, I'm afraid.

sverx wrote
Then I noticed sometimes enemies can get stuck, it happens mainly on stairs/conveior belts (waterfalls?).

What do you mean with 'stuck'? Are they stuck on the ladder-type tile itself or on the ground in front of them? I know of one bug where enemies 'fall' one pixel too far and get stuck in the floor, but I haven't been able to find the cause of it because I can't reproduce the bug at will and it doesn't happen very often.

sverx wrote
Last thing: I can see 'snow' on the very bottom edge of the screen when fading in/out. I bet just 2 pixel lower and they would be offscreen.

I thought I had eliminated that. Your screen seems to show more lines than mine then. Does it happen in NTSC or in PAL mode or in both?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:52 am
Can you offer alternative layouts for those with overscan issues?
Post Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:19 am
Maxim wrote
Can you offer alternative layouts for those with overscan issues?

I don't think so. The rooms where the overscan is an issue are the most cramped ones, and the room layouts of the original game are finely tuned to the game mechanics, the length of jumps etc., so there's little I can do without breaking the actual game.

One solution I can think of would be to have little 'exit' arrows safely within the visible area appear whenever a passage opens up that might be eaten by the screen edge. I'll think about it.
Post Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:51 am
Kagesan wrote
What do you mean with 'stuck'? Are they stuck on the ladder-type tile itself or on the ground in front of them?

I've seen both. Once one was stuck climbing a ladder, as he wanted to go up but wasn't centered enough on the ladder and an upper floor solid tile on its right was in the way.
Then once in the second 'area', one was trying to climb to the conveyor belt from the bottom floor, but failing that it started to 'flicker' up and down one pixel. After few seconds he succeeded.

As for the 'snow', I'll check again if it happens both in 50 and 60Hz.
Post Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:06 am
sverx wrote
I've seen both. Once one was stuck climbing a ladder, as he wanted to go up but wasn't centered enough on the ladder and an upper floor solid tile on its right was in the way.

Normally, this shouldn't happen, as Yamo only goes up a ladder if he is perfectly aligned with it. I your case he probably was on the same level as the player and started climbing sideways when the player went up or down, causing Yamo to climb after him. He doesn't re-align himself with the ladder in that case. Did that happen often? Personally, I have never seen this, so I'm inclined to leave it as it is.

sverx wrote
Then once in the second 'area', one was trying to climb to the conveyor belt from the bottom floor, but failing that it started to 'flicker' up and down one pixel. After few seconds he succeeded.

I know where this comes from. There's a bug in my sprite/background collision which, as I realize now, I have only fixed for the player, but not for the enemies. This should be easy to do, though.

sverx wrote
As for the 'snow', I'll check again if it happens both in 50 and 60Hz.

Please do also check if it still happens after a reset. I don't know how your 50/60Hz switch works, but if it lets you change mid-game, that could be the cause of the issue. Theoretically, the fading routine should wait for a line well outside the visible area before writing to CRAM. However, the line is different depending on the video mode. The program only checks if it's running at 50/60Hz on startup, though, so if you switched mode mid-game, it would wait for the wrong line afterwards.
Post Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:44 pm
Kagesan wrote
Did that happen often?

I've seen it once only, playing the game 4 times.

Kagesan wrote
Please do also check if it still happens after a reset. I don't know how your 50/60Hz switch works, but if it lets you change mid-game, that could be the cause of the issue.

No, I change the switch position only when hardware is turned off. I will anyway check both at 50 and 60Hz.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:00 pm
Getting back to that topic - compared to other homebrews, along with DARC, playing Bruce Lee is the closest I've felt to playing a commercial game. In term of quality and vibe. Some other homebrews are very good but they tend to not be polished equally on all fronts. Bruce Lee does everything in a fairly consistent manner and it feels like an early title (in a good way, I love those).

I am looking forward to 2015 being the year we get polished homebrew and perhaps making real cartridges becomes less of a puzzle for us as a community.
Post Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:42 pm
... snow on both 50 and 60Hz, the only difference is that at 60Hz it's very very close to the CRT bottom border (just few pixels away) - at 50Hz it's way higher, just few pixels under the bottom of the image.
Which scanlines are you triggering the change on?

I also agree with Bock, it really feels like I'm playing an unknown ROM :)
Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:26 am
sverx wrote
Which scanlines are you triggering the change on?)

Scanline 216 (60Hz) and scanline 240 (50Hz).

Reading back over the values posted earlier in this thread, I should probably change that to something like lines 220 and 244 respectively.
Post Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:22 am
I finally took the time to play this... and I like it a lot! I especially like how enemies can interact with eachother, just like hazards can damage them as well. Some things feel weird, e.g. being able to stand in the middle of a stair, but all in all this is an excellent game.
Post Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:07 pm
Last edited by Kagesan on Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:34 am; edited 4 times in total
I uploaded a new version 0.51 which (hopefully) fixes all three of the bugs that caused enemies to get stuck.

Unfortunately, I coudn't get rid of the snow effect. At least on my PAL system it still shows (I don't have an NTSC machine to test it on). I can't find any fault in my code, so I have come to the conclusion that it somehow fails the TV type check on startup.

The game does a check for the TV type on reset as described here, then stores the value in a variable called TVType. The Vblank routine that's active during the fades then does this:

ld a, (TVType)                  ; check for TV type
    or a                            ; is it 0 (NTSC)?
    jp nz, WaitForLine241           ; no? then jump to PAL loop

WaitForLine220:                     ; wait for bottom border (NTSC)

in a,($7e)                      ; get VCount
-:  ld b, a                         ; store it
    in a,($7e)                      ; and again
    cp b                            ; is it the same?
    jp nz,-                         ; if not, repeat
    cp 220
    jp c, WaitForLine220            ; repeat checking scanline counter if < 220

ret

WaitForLine241:                     ; wait for bottom border (PAL)

in a,($7e)                      ; get VCount
-:  ld b, a                         ; store it
    in a,($7e)                      ; and again
    cp b                            ; is it the same?
    jp nz,-                         ; if not, repeat
    cp 241                          ; check if we passed line 241
    jp c, WaitForLine241            ; repeat checking scanline counter if < 241

ret

This seems correct to me, and the TV type check does bear the correct results when I run it in MEKA. Did I overlook something?
Post Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:24 pm
To get the exact vertical sync phase (after bottom blanking) I would try waiting for the moment when VCount is less than the value previously read, and of course is not 0.
This way you also don't need to check if you're on PAL or NTSC as they both do that behavior when vertical blanking starts.
Check Charles McDonald VDP doc and you'll see that vcount values can appear twice, you have to be sure you're identifying the correct moment.
Post Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:02 am
I just realized I made a very stupid mistake, as originally I checked for nc instead of c in the last line before each ret. I corrected the code in the post above and it seems to work as expected now.

Your method is pretty clever, though.

I've uploaded version 0.52, which should fix the snow issue. At least it does on my PAL machine. Would be nice if someone with an NTSC setup could confirm that it's working there, too.
Post Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:38 am
I'll test it on hardware ASAP :)
In the while I'm just curious to know why you're checking if two successive VCount reads are the same or not, given that later you check if it's = 220...
Post Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:01 am
Because apparently the VCounter read is not always reliable and can give wonky results if you read it just once. I'm not actually sure that this is true, but I read it in another thread around here that discussed scanline polling.
Post Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:27 pm
Kagesan wrote
apparently the VCounter read is not always reliable and can give wonky results if you read it just once

seriously? wonky as in completely random?
Post Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:28 pm
sverx wrote
seriously? wonky as in completely random?

I got the information from this thread. It might be just a myth, actually. When testing I haven't experienced any negative effects with checking just once.

Maxim, in the other thread, wrote
It checks twice because someone suggested it might fluctuate sometimes, although I've not seen any evidence of this.

However, my VBlank routine in this case is mostly empty, so the double check doesn't really hurt it.
Post Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:58 am
No more snow on my PAL SMS II fitted with a 50/60Hz switch :)
[I mean no snow at both frame rate.]
Post Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:16 pm
sverx wrote
No more snow on my PAL SMS II fitted with a 50/60Hz switch :)
[I mean no snow at both frame rate.]

Excellent! (*crosses 'snow' off to-do list*)

Thanks for testing.
Post Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:33 am
It works great on my NTSC SMS and SMS II. I've not encountered any problems yet. I should probably note that I'm using version 0.52, but I didn't experience any problems with 0.50 either.

Very catchy music, btw. Excellent game quality all around.
Post Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:54 pm
Another new version is up. This is the last major update before the final release.
Get it here: http://www.smspower.org/Homebrew/BruceLee-SMS

What's new in version 0.75?
- Rooms: 15/20
- Extra life pickup

As usual, please report any bugs or glitches you encounter.

Note: I know it looks silly when Bruce and Yamo crawl up the sides of the staircases like drunkards. The Atari 800 original actually expected you to jump up the stairs step by step. The Spectrum version did away with that and treated the stairs like ladders. I decided to allow both, because personally I think that jumping up the stairs instead of climbing them breaks the flow of the game, even if it's more 'realistic'.

Another note: In rooms with many floor mines their explosions can kind of ruin the music. Does that bother you? Should I make the mine explosions silent instead? What do you think?
BruceLee-SMS-5.png (2.65 KB)
BruceLee-SMS-5.png
BruceLee-SMS-4.png (2.88 KB)
BruceLee-SMS-4.png

Post Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:01 pm
Very nice!
Post Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:50 pm
Really excellent Kasegan !
tested & finished this morning.

Mines with sound are ok for me.
Post Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:05 pm
This game becomes more and more beautiful!
The blue background of one of the stages looks excellent as well as the winding stairs of the other level. You know how to get the best out of the Master System =)

Any plans to create a cartmodd of it?
Post Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:23 pm
Thanks.

Gordman wrote
Any plans to create a cartmodd of it?

Not officially, no. I plan on providing full box art and a multi-language manual with the final release, though, so if you want, you can build your own using a donor cartridge then.
Post Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:01 pm
This is fantastic, Kagesan! And I really admire your determination to see this project through! Super.high.quality.
Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:51 am
Kagesan wrote

What's new in version 0.75?
- Rooms: 15/20
- Extra life pickup

Kagesan, remember that in spectrum when get the extra life, exit the screen and return again at the same screen, show other extra life. And work over ten times. I don't know why.
Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:18 pm
iforeve wrote
Kagesan, remember that in spectrum when get the extra life, exit the screen and return again at the same screen, show other extra life. And work over ten times. I don't know why.

I know. I changed that on purpose. You can always earn additional extra lives through score, though.
Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:57 pm
I really like the game you created, Kagesan! I tested it on my Mini System hardware on my TV, and it runs very well. I especially like the different colors themes used for different environments/rooms and the detailed graphics: I just went through the other thread and saw that you did them yourself - very impressive for someone who doesn't do this every day (I assume.. these days you probably can't make a living out of pixel art?) It looks better than many real master system games! A favorite of mine in terms of graphics on the SMS, and what can be done within its limitations is James Pond II, which (on 50Hz at least - I believe at 60Hz this is disabled, probably for lack of time in the vsync) also includes parallax scrolling almost everywhere. Looks almost as good as the Amiga version.

Looking forward to the final version!
Post Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:55 am
No new update yet, sorry. I need your help.

I'm working on the graphics for the last couple of rooms, and I'm almost done with them, but I can't figure out what the ending screen is supposed to depict. So far I think I was able to translate the crude graphics of the original into some decent interpretations of what's going on, but I have no idea what I am looking at here.

Here are screenshots of the ending (right picture, left one is the boss):
Spectrum: http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/zx/a/brucelee.htm
C64: http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/c64/a/bruce.htm

I think the lower part shows heaps of treasure flowing out from an adjacent room through the arching doorways. But what could those triangular things on top of the arches be? Or the bracket-like things at the upper edge of the screen?

Any ideas? I'm totally open for suggestions.
Post Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:30 pm
Looking at the Amstrad CPC version, I would say that the end screen is definitely supposed to depict a treasure room. Other than that, I have no idea. I'm inclined to think that the darker blue parts (CPC version) are meant to convey the rest of the room/building/structure, but further away, sort of in shadows...

http://www.genesis8bit.fr/images/brucelee.png
Post Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:19 am
Kagesan wrote
I think the lower part shows heaps of treasure flowing out from an adjacent room through the arching doorways. But what could those triangular things on top of the arches be? Or the bracket-like things at the upper edge of the screen?

I actually think Bruce is standing outside some type of special treasure castle. The triangular things above the archways could be an ornate metal gate pulled up and the "bracket-like things" could be the gate chain pulley system?

Edit: These gates might, in fact, be portcullis. See; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Crowned_Portcullis.svg
Post Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:21 am
IT. IS. DONE.

Finally, version 1.00 is here. That's the full game at last. Sorry for the big file size, the zip also includes the box art, a label design, and a full multi-language manual now.
Get it here: http://www.smspower.org/Homebrew/BruceLee-SMS

What's new in version 1.00?
- Rooms: 20/20
- Boss
- Ending

As usual, please report any bugs or glitches you encounter. I have fixed a couple of small bugs near the end of development, and I hope I haven't created new ones by doing so (as I usually seem to do, unfortunately). On real hardware I once encountered a strange glitch with wrong tiles showing up in the status bar, but I couldn't reproduce it, so I assume it was just my Everdrive acting funny.

Many, many thanks to all you guys around here. Without your help and encouragement I'd never have been able to see this through. After all, this is still my very first program in assembly language ever.

I don't want to spoil too much of the game's final screens, so, as a small teaser, I just give you a glimpse of the SMS version of the most universally hated room in the game..

Enjoy!
BruceLee-SMS-5.png (2.23 KB)
BruceLee-SMS-5.png

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:52 am
Congratulations. This is so amazing. The manual and the box!

(My girlfriend is saying "This should win the competition!". Indeed I'd probably give it a 20 out of 10).
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:03 am
I'll play it on a real machine without cheating :)
This is by far the most polished homebrew software that has graced our community. It's also an honor and a pleasure that you decided to stick a SMS Power! logo there.

I need to say something (sorry it is a little party pooping...)
Unscrupulous people are going to make repro carts and selling them on eBay. This happens all the time with prototypes and dumps we release, and I can see it happening with a software of this quality. It will be frustrating, the best I suppose is just to ignore it :(

But - I also think this would be a prime candidate to be the first homebrew that gets a decent production run. I know you are trying to keep it low because it is a remake but considering the amount of love put into that I think it would be reasonable to make a little production run with technology that e.g. db-elec or ichigobankai are building. This would at least alleviate the value of the careless repros that are going to popup. Just throwing the idea in the air.
Revo
Post Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:30 am
Nice to see your game finish, you did a good job. I will try to finish it this week-end.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:37 am
Bock wrote
This is by far the most polished homebrew software that has graced our community.

I fully agree with Bock. I hope this will trigger more people in making new quality games for the SMS in the future.

Nice work!!
Post Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:41 am
Congratulations Kagesan, you did an outstanding and brilliant job! Thank you =)

I agree with bock of course and yes, I would support a production run for this and get a copy.
Post Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:10 pm
This is great indeed!
By the way, I wouldn't say that a 758kB is a "big file size" :P

I wanted to make a full playthrough video, but it turns out that Dega emulates the audio wrong.

Also, is the final boss really supposed to be that easy? As a spoiler warning, I write the following text with a size 0: I collected one lamp (or whatever that was) and the boss was defeated.
Post Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:27 pm
Looks truly beautiful. I'm going to try playing this on the PSP.

Now do Bruce Lee II!
* Windows, with C64/CPC gfx
* Native C64 port
Post Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:38 pm
Bock wrote
This is by far the most polished homebrew software that has graced our community.

and I guess that there should be the new posted in the homepage. After all such a polished and complete work of this kind isn't happening everyday :)
Post Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:02 pm
Last edited by ichigobankai on Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Congratulations Kagesan !
you did an amazing job !

I've soldered one of my board with your game, it works perfectly on RH.
PM me your address, I'll send it to you.
The cartridge/label "template" is not the same (label is much more bigger), if you're interested i'll give mine.
DSC02980.jpg (115.67 KB)
DSC02980.jpg
DSC02984.jpg (71.33 KB)
DSC02984.jpg
DSC02986.jpg (174.92 KB)
DSC02986.jpg
DSC02987.jpg (86.83 KB)
DSC02987.jpg

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!