Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - xmms plugin for vgm

Reply to topic
Sergent Moutarde
xmms plugin for vgm
Post Posted: Wed May 22, 2002 3:17 pm
Hi everyone !
I discovered smspower.org a few days ago, and it's great !
I was wondering if anybody has ever worked on a vgm plugin for xmms. I'd like to be able to listen to vgm files with xmms on my linux distro.
I recently compiled and installed the modplug player plugin for xmms, to be able to listen to .mod or .xm files. Ok, mikmod can also do that, but....
I'm a programmer but I have no experience in audio stuff. I've looked at the source of the winamp plugin,
I think it could be ported to do a xmms plugin. Is it too hard or not ? I haven't a clue about the work it'd take to do that.

Bye

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed May 22, 2002 4:35 pm
> I'm a programmer but I have no experience in audio stuff. I've looked at the source of the winamp plugin, I think it could be ported to do a xmms plugin. Is it too hard or not ? I haven't a clue about the work it'd take to do that.

You need to:

1. Satisfy the plugin API. If there's a sample plugin then that's relatively easy.
2. Go through the file byte by byte, outputting data to the various sound engines (my SN76489 engine, EMU2413, and the MAME 2612 and 2151 cores)
3. When you get to a wait command, you need to command the sound engines to output sound and pass that back through the API

Then the rest is naking it pretty, and have features like STOP and SEEK which the users these days seem so keen on.

I'm not going to do this. I don't have Linux and I won't install it until I find a reason to.

I recommend you look at a sample plugin like the two Winamp puts in its SDK, I'm sure XMMS has some equivalent.

Maxim
Sergent Moutarde
Post Posted: Thu May 23, 2002 7:26 pm
> You need to:

> 1. Satisfy the plugin API. If there's a sample plugin then that's relatively easy.
> 2. Go through the file byte by byte, outputting data to the various sound engines (my SN76489 engine, EMU2413, and the MAME 2612 and 2151 cores)

I'll try to hack the source of the vgm winamp plugin to understand that.

> 3. When you get to a wait command, you need to command the sound engines to output sound and pass that back through the API

Ok. It doesns't seem to be unfeasable.

> I'm not going to do this. I don't have Linux and I won't install it until I find a reason to.

No problem. I wasn't doing a request. But for Linux, you should at least try it. You might like it !

> I recommend you look at a sample plugin like the two Winamp puts in its SDK, I'm sure XMMS has some equivalent.

I'll do that.
Thank you for your help.
I just hope I won't be the one and only user of the plugin....

Sgt Moutarde

Post Posted: Thu May 23, 2002 7:40 pm
> > You need to:

> > 1. Satisfy the plugin API. If there's a sample plugin then that's relatively easy.
> > 2. Go through the file byte by byte, outputting data to the various sound engines (my SN76489 engine, EMU2413, and the MAME 2612 and 2151 cores)

> I'll try to hack the source of the vgm winamp plugin to understand that.

> > 3. When you get to a wait command, you need to command the sound engines to output sound and pass that back through the API

> Ok. It doesns't seem to be unfeasable.

> > I'm not going to do this. I don't have Linux and I won't install it until I find a reason to.

> No problem. I wasn't doing a request. But for Linux, you should at least try it. You might like it !

> > I recommend you look at a sample plugin like the two Winamp puts in its SDK, I'm sure XMMS has some equivalent.

> I'll do that.
> Thank you for your help.
> I just hope I won't be the one and only user of the plugin....

Remember to post here if you get it working, and I'll promise I'll use it :) ...

> Sgt Moutarde
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!