SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - vgm2mid help -- problem with midi

Reply to topic
mota
vgm2mid help -- problem with midi
Post Posted: Tue May 21, 2002 7:26 pm
I'm new to converting vgm/vgz files to midi. I'm using the latest version of vgm2mid 0.5...The problem I'm encountering is when I convert master system songs that I got from this site or from zophar, some of them can't be opened in a computer sequencer/midi editor (cakewalk, cubase, etc..) When trying to open some files I get a 'Cannot read file' error, either that or it just hangs. The weird thing is I can play these converted midi files normally with a midi player. So if I can play them normally with a midi player, why can't I open them in a midi editor? Strange...

Thanks for any help, or enlightenment.

Paul Jensen (author of vg
I don't know what's causing the problem either (more...)
Post Posted: Tue May 21, 2002 9:22 pm
I'm not exactly sure why some files can be read by players but not sequencers. It may be due to the fact that the files are in midi format 0 (all channels on one track), and most sequencers probably handle format 1 a little better (all channels on seperate tracks). Maybe somebody with more knowledge of the MIDI format than I (are there many around these days?) can add support for format 1.

Paul

• Site Admin
Get clever
Post Posted: Wed May 22, 2002 5:04 pm
> I'm not exactly sure why some files can be read by players but not sequencers. It may be due to the fact that the files are in midi format 0 (all channels on one track), and most sequencers probably handle format 1 a little better (all channels on seperate tracks). Maybe somebody with more knowledge of the MIDI format than I (are there many around these days?) can add support for format 1.

Or type "convert midi format" into Google and download one of the many convertors. Maybe check out some of the MIDI file format checkers to verify that you've made valid files?

Maxim
mota
Re: Thank You!!!
Post Posted: Wed May 22, 2002 5:57 pm
Paul: Thanks for making such a great utility...it's been really handy! Keep up the good work.

Maxim: Why didn't I think of that? Thanks for the suggestion! I did what you said and the first return address was http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/progs/software.htm
I got the MIDI file converter and converted the file I've been having trouble with. I haven't done any extensive testing yet, mind you, but I did convert it to a format 1 and was able to access it in my sequencer. Thanks again! This is such a great forum. :)

> > I'm not exactly sure why some files can be read by players but not sequencers. It may be due to the fact that the files are in midi format 0 (all channels on one track), and most sequencers probably handle format 1 a little better (all channels on seperate tracks). Maybe somebody with more knowledge of the MIDI format than I (are there many around these days?) can add support for format 1.

> Or type "convert midi format" into Google and download one of the many convertors. Maybe check out some of the MIDI file format checkers to verify that you've made valid files?

> Maxim

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!