Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - [Music competition 2015] The Dancing Bat (Quartet Remix) by SegaMon

Reply to topic

Rate this entry!

1 (Poor) 0% 0%
2 0% 0%
3 0% 0%
4 0% 0%
5 0% 0%
6 18% 18%
7 31% 31%
8 43% 43%
9 (Excellent) 6% 6%
This poll has expired.
  • Site Admin
[Music competition 2015] The Dancing Bat (Quartet Remix) by SegaMon
Post Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:10 am
Last edited by Maxim on Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
http://www.smspower.org/Music/TheDancingBat-Homebrew

Hello SMS Power!

I have tried my best to provide a quality tune. I present to you The Dancing Bat. This is a musical remix to the tune found in the fourth stage of the Master System game Quartet. I'm sure that you will find the melody to be familiar. Here is a description of the tune that I have written and the song is attached in mp3 format.

"Among the many games that I loved to play growing up was Quartet. The game presented a great challenge but did so with spot-on game play and awesome music. My favorite tune from the game is from the fourth stage. I loved it for many reasons. One of the most memorable reasons was that the bat-like enemies that seem to dance to the music as the quickly dash towards you. These bat-like enemies were difficult to evade and made the level a difficult one to complete.

In this remix, I slowed down the tempo, added numerous solos and transitions, and even incorporated the stage cleared tune for the ending. The instruments featured include electric bass, saw synth (three different types), trumpet, piano, drum-set, organ, and a few sound effects. I considered adding my clarinet to this piece but I ultimately decided that it would not fit in quite right. My biggest complaint is that the sound feels slightly empty. I wanted the sound to feel natural so I think that it has a lot to do with that."

I hope that this finds you well. I just finished it in the last hour. It is complete but later I may wish to improve it. I am so excited to be part of this competition!

Post Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:43 pm
Really lovely :D
Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:56 am
I really enjoyed this.
The electro-jazz feeling was really cool.

The sounds all fit together and the song has a really nice flow.

The bassline is a little repetitive, but overall it doesn't detract from the song, especially because the line is interesting.

The sparse use of melody instruments created a different mood, but i was hoping for a e-piano solo to burst out at any minute.

My only suggestion would be to go crazier, change up the drums even more and add some more improvs and counter-melodies.
And yes, i know how difficult that can be, especially because that's the "cherry on the top", the detail. And it's something that i struggle a lot aswell.

Great job. :)
Post Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:45 am
I love this one. It kinda reminds me of Transport Tycoon (& Tramsport Tycoon Deluxe) tunes. Oh, if only TTD could be ported to SMS... but no, too many windows and sprites
Post Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:02 am
Thank you for your kind replies. My goal was for those who enjoyed Quartet to also enjoy this song.

tibone- I agree that the bass line was a little repetitive. This is why I tried my best to change it in areas such as solos, the B section, and at the end with a transposition. However, it still stayed a bit repetitive. I'm not a drummer and am still new to FL Studio so it was difficult to make the drums a more interesting part of the tune. I totally agree with you about that though. Thanks for enjoying it.

TinchoDJ and TmEE: thanks. I am looking forward to getting better at writing and producing music. I don't have much time for it but I will keep at it. I enjoyed other competition entries too. :)
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!