Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Whodunit: Santos

Reply to topic
Whodunit: Santos
Post Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:19 pm
A former programmer at developer Whiteboard (Sōtarō Suzuki [鈴木宗太郎]) was a guest on the Japanese webcast OBSLive in November 2014 (segment I'm talking about starts around 01:15:00 in). I have no idea what's being said, but with some help, I got some details.

My understanding was that Whiteboard was renamed Santos, but he apparently only ever refers to Whiteboard. At any rate, he mentions working on a Simpsons port from the Mark III to Game Gear. The last time I watched the video myself, I distinctly remember hearing him say "Simpsons." Now, the Master System Simpsons games were done in the UK. Why would they get a Japanese company to port them to the Game Gear? (Of course, a Korean company converted Bubble Bobble from the Master System to Game Gear, but there was a big gap between the releases.)
Post Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:15 pm
It's been confirmed that Santos worked on the Game Gear conversions of Bart vs. the Space Mutants and Bart vs. the World.

I'm also thinking the Game Gear version of Samurai Shodown was by Santos. There's a flash of green when you start up the game as in Bust-A-Move, and it shares a numerical font with Bust-A-Move.
Post Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:56 am
A lot of Akklaim Japan games came out in 1995, one of the most expensive games on the Megadrive for instance. Maybe there was a project for this one too. For instance, Judge Dredd was rumoured to have been released in 1995 in Japan for gamegear, but actually never was; even though catalogs list a release date...
Post Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:30 am
Adol wrote
A lot of Akklaim Japan games came out in 1995, one of the most expensive games on the Megadrive for instance. Maybe there was a project for this one too. For instance, Judge Dredd was rumoured to have been released in 1995 in Japan for gamegear, but actually never was; even though catalogs list a release date...

My impression was they were doing conversions from the SMS rather than localizations, but Suzuki apparently said on the show they did other EU/US-only GG games.
Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:34 pm
Have the Brazilian Master System versions of Bart vs. the Space Mutants and Bart vs. the World been dumped?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:09 am
CRV wrote
Have the Brazilian Master System versions of Bart vs. the Space Mutants and Bart vs. the World been dumped?

Yes, they are in my logs:

SMS d1cc08ee 4220E6AA3FBBA074   Bart vs Space Mutants               PT cart*2
SMS f6b2370a 98430D51443E0D38   Bart vs. The World (The Simpsons)   BR cart
SMS d1cc08ee 4220E6AA3FBBA074   Bart vs. The Space Mutants (The..   BR cart White plastic N/A
Post Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:56 pm
Note that there were two companies called Santos. The first, originally called Whiteboard, was later acquired by Sega and became Megasoft. The president of the first Santos started a new company, the second Santos, after the Sega acquisition of the first. I move that this thread be open to both Santos, if it wasn't already.

As Bock mentioned in another thread, he talked to someone who talked to illustrator Ano Shimizu. Shimizu worked on a couple of Master System games at Whiteboard: Dynamite Dux and Nekkyuu Koushien. Whiteboard apparently also worked on SG-1000 games.

A code comparison was performed between DD and NK. American Baseball/Reggie Jackson Baseball, Danan: The Jungle Fighter, and Megumi Rescue came up consistently. Opa Opa/Fantasy Zone: The Maze came up to a lesser extent. It was later noted that some of these, and a few others not mentioned, have the same initials in the header and use a particular font variation.
Post Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:29 pm
Hmmm...The standings screen in Masters Golf/Great Golf has several people from Sega on it and at least one person from Whiteboard, programmer Kei Maruyama ("Kei M").
GREAT_GOLF000.png (1.78 KB)
GREAT_GOLF000.png

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!