SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - [VGM Pack] Cyborg Hunter

Reply to topic
[VGM Pack] Cyborg Hunter
Post Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:56 pm
Last edited by sherpa on Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Here is Cyborg Hunter, released late in 1988. It's based on a Japanese anime at the time, Look up Sonic_Soldier_Borgman on Wikipedia. The game got some US/EU treatment with the artwork on the case. Game seems equivalent otherwise, same music/graphics. Except that the Japanese version *may* have benefited from the FM chip on the Mark III. Source I've found list it as compatible, though I do not know if that actually means it used the chip.

update: new release. fixes one track loop. (I got it wrong on the new pack as well, so pretty good for a first job from months ago)

Also figured out enabling FM on games that support it is generally very easy. So maybe more on that soon.

Pack is not released, so starting new at v1.00

PSG/FM versions available.

http://www.smspower.org/Music/CyborgHunter-SMS-PSG

http://www.smspower.org/Music/CyborgHunter-SMS-FM
Post Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:54 am
Not sure if this has been overlooked. I've had several packs I worked on afterward accepted.
Post Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:42 pm
I decided to redo the 7z pack which I knew had compressed vgms and fix other minor issues. I ended up renaming the files (not tags) and removing all the sound effects from the pack. It occurred to me that the fact it had version 0.95 may have kept it from getting looked at (though curiously ace of aces got a look over). I removed the extra version of the ending that had the in game fadeout. It's original form did not have a loop, but after so much time I do not remember how well the fadeout was preserved after looping (likely lost). I have thus excluded it, though I did notice the difference when I logged it via memory trigger...the fadeout was a distinctive part of the ending I remembered.

This game was the primary reason I sometimes returned to play sms games for nostalgia. Alex Kidd is probably the first thing I think of on sms, and there were a few other games I remember.

This was the first pack I worked, on, so I was not sure if certain signs like &,! etc would cause problems during parsing on the site, so I excluded them. Titles now match their tags.

There are now 8 tracks and not the 30+ I had before.

The japanese version almost certainly uses the FM hardware. I would consider that a separate rip, and not one I would probably work on, as I do not know how to enable the chip. It seems assembly may be required based on some posts I read.

This version is the US/European version.
Music for japanese is likely the same but FM based. The rom sounds the same as PSG as the English version, but graphics are a bit different.

No large changes here. Just excluding what I wasn't sure should be included, and making the pack match standards and feedback I've received on my other contributions. I completed Ace of Aces first (only 2 songs), but recently had to relog..so I guess this is my first pack after all. This had one tricky loop I could not grab until I converted to midi and saw I was cutting early.

Interestingly, the packs I've worked on since this have increased in challenge (not planned, just worked out that way). But this game introduced me to some of the challenges present in what is otherwise a simple musical project.
Post Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:58 pm
And Here is the FM pack. At first I didn't like the FM version, since I am not used to it, and it has no nostalgic grab. Finding loops on FM packs provides the same challenge as other systems such as GB/PCE where wave data is not exactly the same and loop finders don't work well unless you set lower thresholds.

This soundtrack is pretty much the reason It took me a long time to trust loopfnd. I thought it was ignorance or lack of experience, but lpfnd did not work except on 1 track. So it wasn't just ignorance. I had no alternative tools at the time, and still hadn't settled into a routine. It took a while to get used to using all the tools in a way that made sense, since it was often more challenging to find a loop by following all the litte requirements, than going by ear and basing results on that. Even then you run into problems. But wasn't too hard this time around.

It is very odd listening to FM and psg side by side. FM almost sounds pitched differently, but the psg seems louder even though the waveform for FM is larger. Things tend to sound muddy sometimes, but I've heard it on other games, and it can sound very beautiful (thinking Ys)

Here ya Go. Tags borrowed from the other pack. Helped refresh my memory.

[Attachments removed]
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!