Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Master Converter

Reply to topic
worzak
Master Converter
Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 9:03 am
Anyone have any information in here how the master converter is
built like? (pinouts)
Are there any logic involved in the process or is it just an straight pin2pin converter?

Would love to play Master System games on my Mega Drive

Teacher_Onizuka
Post Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 6:06 pm
> Anyone have any information in here how the master converter is
> built like? (pinouts)
> Are there any logic involved in the process or is it just an straight pin2pin converter?

> Would love to play Master System games on my Mega Drive

AFAIK the converter is nearly a complete SMS. It is supposed to use the Mega Drive's Z80 (used for sound there) as a main processor and it has the Master System's Sound Chip. About the Video Chip I'm not quite sure, if the chip of the MD is used but I think the Master System conv has its own graphics hardware and passes the ready signal to the TV modulator of the MD.
I think I read something like that in a video games magazine.

Arakon
Post Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 6:03 am
> > Anyone have any information in here how the master converter is
> > built like? (pinouts)
> > Are there any logic involved in the process or is it just an straight pin2pin converter?

> > Would love to play Master System games on my Mega Drive

> AFAIK the converter is nearly a complete SMS. It is supposed to use the Mega Drive's Z80 (used for sound there) as a main processor and it has the Master System's Sound Chip. About the Video Chip I'm not quite sure, if the chip of the MD is used but I think the Master System conv has its own graphics hardware and passes the ready signal to the TV modulator of the MD.
> I think I read something like that in a video games magazine.

not quite. it's in fact nothing but a pin to pin converter, with the only electronic parts being a pushbutton and resistor for the pause button. all it takes for the genesis to fully "emulate" the SMS is a pin adapter and a certain pin connected to GND to activate the SMS mode.

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!