Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Questions

Reply to topic
Questions
Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 5:25 pm

Maybe some of you know the answers to these :)

Does Bart vs. Space Mutants work on an SMS (with the 315-5124 VDP) with no graphics problems? (like bad tiles?)

Does anyone know what GG games set bit 7 of VDP register #0 to stop vertical scrolling for the last two columns of the display? I thought Power Strike 2 did in the second level, but was wrong.

What is the color problem with TMS9918 games running on a Game Gear? Are the colors just darker, or totally off? (like the RGB values were swapped around or missing entirely)

Oops
Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 5:27 pm

> What is the color problem with TMS9918 games running on a Game Gear? Are the colors just darker, or totally off? (like the RGB values were swapped around or missing entirely)

I had meant SG-1000 or SC-3000 games, which use the TMS9918. ;)

• Site Admin
Re: Oops
Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:59 pm
>
> > What is the color problem with TMS9918 games running on a Game Gear? Are the colors just darker, or totally off? (like the RGB values were swapped around or missing entirely)

> I had meant SG-1000 or SC-3000 games, which use the TMS9918. ;)

Well, in fact they are ok on GG.
I can't say however if it uses the same palette as SG-1000/SC-3000 or as SMS.
SG-1000 on GG
Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 10:54 pm
> >
> > > What is the color problem with TMS9918 games running on a Game Gear? Are the colors just darker, or totally off? (like the RGB values were swapped around or missing entirely)

> > I had meant SG-1000 or SC-3000 games, which use the TMS9918. ;)

> Well, in fact they are ok on GG.
> I can't say however if it uses the same palette as SG-1000/SC-3000 or as SMS.

The TMS9918 palette is totally messed up on an older Sega GG. Wrong colours, much too dark, to the extent that the games are barely playable.

On a newer GG (e.g. Majesco), there is no video at all when running SG-1000 games, only audio.

Mike
  • Site Admin
Re: SG-1000 on GG
Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 11:24 pm
> The TMS9918 palette is totally messed up on an older Sega GG. Wrong colours, much too dark, to the extent that the games are barely playable.
> On a newer GG (e.g. Majesco), there is no video at all when running SG-1000 games, only audio.

Well. I do have several GG pirate cartridge with SG-1000 games, and they work fines.
Then. I have yet to find out why.
Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 8:29 am
> > The TMS9918 palette is totally messed up on an older Sega GG. Wrong colours, much too dark, to the extent that the games are barely playable.
> > On a newer GG (e.g. Majesco), there is no video at all when running SG-1000 games, only audio.

> Well. I do have several GG pirate cartridge with SG-1000 games, and they work fines.
> Then. I have yet to find out why.

They have probably been hacked to use the correct palette. Aren't there GG pirate carts with MSX games too?

Mike
Phredreeke
Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 5:03 pm
My sister bought a game gear with a pirate cart for her daughter for christmas. It included both SMS, GG, SG1K and MSX games.

> > > The TMS9918 palette is totally messed up on an older Sega GG. Wrong colours, much too dark, to the extent that the games are barely playable.
> > > On a newer GG (e.g. Majesco), there is no video at all when running SG-1000 games, only audio.

> > Well. I do have several GG pirate cartridge with SG-1000 games, and they work fines.
> > Then. I have yet to find out why.

> They have probably been hacked to use the correct palette. Aren't there GG pirate carts with MSX games too?

> Mike

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 8:25 pm
> They have probably been hacked to use the correct palette. Aren't there GG pirate carts with MSX games too?

Technically, I think that a cartridge that would rewire addresses and ports, and includes an MSX-1 BIOS, should be enough for playing MSX-1 games on SMS.

I'll check how SG-1000 modes operates on GG.
  • Site Admin
Answer for Bart
Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 8:38 pm
> Does Bart vs. Space Mutants work on an SMS (with the 315-5124 VDP) with no graphics problems? (like bad tiles?)

I tested it now on the three kind of non-Megadrive VDP, and it works fine.
Re: Answer for Bart
Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 8:42 pm
> > Does Bart vs. Space Mutants work on an SMS (with the 315-5124 VDP) with no graphics problems? (like bad tiles?)

> I tested it now on the three kind of non-Megadrive VDP, and it works fine.

Ok, this is good. Thanks for testing!

Like the Y's name table bug, it could have been where the pattern generator base address register would possibly mask the upper bits of the VRAM address when fetching patterns, on the original SMS VDP. If the VDP is emulated like this, Bart vs. Space Mutants had bad tiles on the title screen.
But apparently this isn't the case. In fact, the name table problem might be the only bug of this type with the SMS VDP.

• Site Admin
Answer for TMS9918 on Game Gear (interesting find!)
Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 9:20 pm
Alright, I've toyed with the GG a bit tonight.
TMS9918 modes seems to be fully supported on the GG, except for the palette which is taken from the usual SMS/GG palette.

I've worked out a little bit of code that can be appended to a SG-1000 game, with minor modification to the SG-1000, and which setup a custom palette then run the game. And it works!
Here is a pictures, running with a palette I made up which looks like the SG-1000 palette, but using SMS colors.

I'll toy this palette a bit, and I think this way I would even be able to figure out the SG-1000 palette used on SMS, I guess it uses SMS colors.

So, back to the pirate cartridges, the only thing they does is to set up a palette on startup (with the main selection menu), and that's it.
Re: Answer for TMS9918 on Game Gear (interesting find!)
Post Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2002 2:26 am

> So, back to the pirate cartridges, the only thing they does is to set up a palette on startup (with the main selection menu), and that's it.

Do sprites still use the sprite palette? Meaning you'd set colors 0-F and 10-1F to the same TMS9918 palette values?

If so, it might be interesting to make the background colors a little darker than the sprite ones, to enhance the visibility. ;)

• Site Admin
Re: Answer for TMS9918 on Game Gear (interesting find!)
Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 12:05 am
> Do sprites still use the sprite palette? Meaning you'd set colors 0-F and 10-1F to the same TMS9918 palette values?
> If so, it might be interesting to make the background colors a little darker than the sprite ones, to enhance the visibility. ;)

Good question.
I tried - everything seems to uses colors 10-1F.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!