Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - MasterGear coverter wierdness

Reply to topic
MasterGear coverter wierdness
Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2002 12:16 am
Hi all - I recently purchased an "HES MasterGear 2" - still in the original shrinkwrap & bubblewrap, and I've been noticing some bizarre stuff with it, like in Sonic the Hedgehog, you can see some strange stuff like rings appearing and disappearing where there shouldn't be any, and in some levels like Bridge and Jungle zones, the whole game slows down except for the music... strange stuff..
And in Spy vs. Spy, the first tile screen is screwed up, and the Black Spys' screen has strange issues like a black square appearing when you look at the map, and his map looks kinda wierd too...

What the hell is up with this? I've taken it apart to see if tehre was a loose connection, but everything seems fine - as you'd expect from something bought brand-new...

any ideas?

~unfnknblvbl
Richard Atkinson
Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2002 7:05 pm
> What the hell is up with this? I've taken it apart to see if tehre was a loose connection, but everything seems fine - as you'd expect from something bought brand-new...

I noticed some problems with mine (a Beeshu GearMaster) when playing Phantasy Star. There were some corrupted blocks in the display, although not too many. At a guess, it's some difference in the VDP memory timings causing the Gam Gear VDP not to perform all the memory accesses correctly.

Richard

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2002 8:29 pm
Mostly likely it's something relating to differences between the SMS VDP and the Game Gear's SMS mode, not the adaptor, unless you've tried it with the original MasterGear and the game functioned normally.
Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2002 9:23 pm
> Mostly likely it's something relating to differences between the SMS VDP and the Game Gear's SMS mode, not the adaptor, unless you've tried it with the original MasterGear and the game functioned normally.

Well my friend has an original Sega Mastergear, and he says he's never experienced these problems.. but I don't see how they could be different - it's just an adapter from one sort of slot to another - no circuitry in mine, anyway..

~unfnknblvbl
Limbs a Flyin'
Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 8:45 am
i tried a 16in1 cart that has spy vs. spy in it and theres a few bad tiles around the place but not in the same way you mentioned. however this might not be a good confirmation because the game select button temporarly shorts the machine out(!) to change, and that could have an adverse effect on the system - sometimes this makes the screen flicker for the duration of the system being on

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!