SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Games with FM music

Reply to topic
Richard Atkinson
Games with FM music
Post Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2002 3:43 pm
As a followup question to the previous post, did any games that used YM2413 FM music also use the PSG? It would rather simplify my circuit if they didn't, but I wouldn't want to miss out on any effects. The sort of thing the Mega Drive does a lot with its YM2612 OPN2 and PSG. On the MSX system, routines that use multiple sound standards simultaneously are commonplace, but then they have many more to choose from.

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2002 6:46 pm
> As a followup question to the previous post, did any games that used YM2413 FM music also use the PSG? It would rather simplify my circuit if they didn't, but I wouldn't want to miss out on any effects. The sort of thing the Mega Drive does a lot with its YM2612 OPN2 and PSG. On the MSX system, routines that use multiple sound standards simultaneously are commonplace, but then they have many more to choose from.

games that use speech playback use the PSG (Alex Kidd and the Lost Stars and Shinobi, for example). I can't think of any games that use FM and PSG sound at the same time, though.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2002 8:04 pm
> > As a followup question to the previous post, did any games that used YM2413 FM music also use the PSG? It would rather simplify my circuit if they didn't, but I wouldn't want to miss out on any effects. The sort of thing the Mega Drive does a lot with its YM2612 OPN2 and PSG. On the MSX system, routines that use multiple sound standards simultaneously are commonplace, but then they have many more to choose from.

> games that use speech playback use the PSG (Alex Kidd and the Lost Stars and Shinobi, for example). I can't think of any games that use FM and PSG sound at the same time, though.

As far as I know the Japanese BIOS is the only "game" to use both simultaneously for music.

Maxim
  • Site Admin
Bah
Post Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2002 8:06 pm
> > > As a followup question to the previous post, did any games that used YM2413 FM music also use the PSG? It would rather simplify my circuit if they didn't, but I wouldn't want to miss out on any effects. The sort of thing the Mega Drive does a lot with its YM2612 OPN2 and PSG. On the MSX system, routines that use multiple sound standards simultaneously are commonplace, but then they have many more to choose from.

> > games that use speech playback use the PSG (Alex Kidd and the Lost Stars and Shinobi, for example). I can't think of any games that use FM and PSG sound at the same time, though.

> As far as I know the Japanese BIOS is the only "game" to use both simultaneously for music.

...but some games write to the FM or PSG chip without actually using it, as my VGM experience has shown. Unfortunately I can't actually remember which games they are... but I expect some FM engines silence the PSG and vice versa.

Maxim
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!