SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Finally, a YM2413 OPLL!!

Reply to topic
Richard Atkinson
Finally, a YM2413 OPLL!!
Post Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2002 12:43 am
I've at last got hold of a YM2413 OPLL chip, so I can try building an FM Sound Expander for the Master System. In fact the chip is inside an MSX cartridge, and I'd like to remap the cartridge connector to the appropriate lines on a Master System expansion connector so the chip (and useful audio amplifier circuitry) can remain on the cartridge.

Anyone know a good place to derive an audio input into the main SMS sound system, on an SMS2?

Also, can anyone recommend a good emulator with a built-in debugger? Single-stepping of game code and trapping I/O accesses would be *really* handy in ripping FM tune routines...

Richard

Garbin
Post Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2002 8:18 pm
> I've at last got hold of a YM2413 OPLL chip, so I can try building an FM Sound Expander for the Master System. In fact the chip is inside an MSX cartridge, and I'd like to remap the cartridge connector to the appropriate lines on a Master System expansion connector so the chip (and useful audio amplifier circuitry) can remain on the cartridge.

> Anyone know a good place to derive an audio input into the main SMS sound system, on an SMS2?

> Also, can anyone recommend a good emulator with a built-in debugger? Single-stepping of game code and trapping I/O accesses would be *really* handy in ripping FM tune routines...

>
> Richard

I think BRSMS (the Brazilian SMS emulator) comes with an integrated debugger. The emulator hasn't been updated for ages but I believe that it is still available.

Ian

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2002 11:30 pm
> Also, can anyone recommend a good emulator with a built-in
> debugger? Single-stepping of game code and trapping I/O
> accesses would be *really* handy in ripping FM tune routines...

Both of those features are available in MesaDX:

http://home.att.net/~e-quinn/MesaDX/MesaDX.html

Unfortunately, MesaDX doesn't include sound emulation of any kind at this point. However, you can easily trap for I/O accesses to the FM-chip ports.

--
Eric Quinn
Cool!
Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 4:20 pm
> I've at last got hold of a YM2413 OPLL chip, so I can try building an FM Sound Expander for the Master System. In fact the chip is inside an MSX cartridge, and I'd like to remap the cartridge connector to the appropriate lines on a Master System expansion connector so the chip (and useful audio amplifier circuitry) can remain on the cartridge.

Cool! Dont forget to post some pics/schematics after you do that :-) I would love to do the same with my msx fm-pac!

PD
Richard Atkinson
Re: Cool!
Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 9:56 am
> Cool! Dont forget to post some pics/schematics after you do that :-) I would love to do the same with my msx fm-pac!

Thanks for your interest! I've just come back from the Maplin store where I ordered the parts; turns out they didn't have *any* of them in stock, but they should arrive within a few days.

I can (and probably should) draw up the schematic now, as the design is more or less finalised. Assuming OrCAD can export images, I'll post something later today.

Richard

Richard Atkinson
Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 6:58 pm
> > Also, can anyone recommend a good emulator with a built-in
> > debugger? Single-stepping of game code and trapping I/O
> > accesses would be *really* handy in ripping FM tune routines...

> Both of those features are available in MesaDX:

> http://home.att.net/~e-quinn/MesaDX/MesaDX.html

> Unfortunately, MesaDX doesn't include sound emulation of any kind at this point. However, you can easily trap for I/O accesses to the FM-chip ports.

How? The breakpoints option is greyed out in the debug menu, as are many other options. What am I doing wrong?

Richard

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!