Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - in_vgm 0.27 released

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
in_vgm 0.27 released
Post Posted: Wed May 01, 2002 8:44 pm
What's new:

+ Fixed a bug with invalid GD3s
+ Updated to YM2413 0.55, which included a higher quality mode (12% higher sampling rate plus conversion). Use "High quality YM2413" checkbox to control it.
+ Modified PSG core to produce output similar to FM cores, ie. much quieter
+ Added Overdrive mode which amplifies the sound to levels similar to a typical MP3 file. It can cause clipping, though.

I might rename Overdrive mode to Snake mode, because of where the idea came from...

Maxim
Martin Skog
What about boosted noise volume level? nt
Post Posted: Wed May 22, 2002 7:12 am
> What's new:

> + Fixed a bug with invalid GD3s
> + Updated to YM2413 0.55, which included a higher quality mode (12% higher sampling rate plus conversion). Use "High quality YM2413" checkbox to control it.
> + Modified PSG core to produce output similar to FM cores, ie. much quieter
> + Added Overdrive mode which amplifies the sound to levels similar to a typical MP3 file. It can cause clipping, though.

> I might rename Overdrive mode to Snake mode, because of where the idea came from...

> Maxim

• Site Admin
It's all in your mind (well, almost)
Post Posted: Wed May 22, 2002 4:52 pm
> What about boosted noise volume level?

I've done a lot of comparison between the real system and the VGM plugin output, and the apparent volume difference between tones and noise on a real SMS compared to the plugin is virtually the same - if anything, it's emulators causing people to think the noise is wrong. I'm not happy to add such an artificial hack to the emulation, since I'm a follower of the Bock Truthful Emulation Without Hacks ideology. One day I'll make the output more like the low-quality-component real thing, not the super-ideal-component emulated version, but it's quite a tricky thing to do I think.

Maxim
Martin Skog
Re: It's all in your mind (well, almost)
Post Posted: Wed May 22, 2002 8:06 pm
No, it's not the emulators, it is my own SMS standing right here that makes me think the noise os too low. You agreed to that before, but said that the soundchip outputted (?) lower noise than it sounded in the TV for some reason (distortion in the cables or something?)

- Martin

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu May 23, 2002 4:11 pm
> No, it's not the emulators, it is my own SMS standing right here that makes me think the noise os too low. You agreed to that before, but said that the soundchip outputted (?) lower noise than it sounded in the TV for some reason (distortion in the cables or something?)

Yes, I did admit that - it's the PSG's low quality components that can't maintain a potential difference of a fraction of a volt for more than a fraction of a second. But a hack to make noise louder would be just that, a hack, and I don't want to do that. The difference beterrn the plugin and the real system is very small.

Other factors include the frequency response curve of a typical TV speaker (they're very bassy), the frequency filtering done by the RF connection, etc. But playing the plugin and TV through the same speakers makes the difference very small indeed.

Personally, I like "perfect" emulation rather than "authentic" emulation. I prefer to see sharp, square pixels than fuzzy scanlined ones, which is why I don't like Kega's TV mode. Maybe the fuzz is more authentic, it's a matter of opinion.

Maxim
Martin Skog
Post Posted: Fri May 24, 2002 6:37 pm
> > No, it's not the emulators, it is my own SMS standing right here that makes me think the noise os too low. You agreed to that before, but said that the soundchip outputted (?) lower noise than it sounded in the TV for some reason (distortion in the cables or something?)

> Yes, I did admit that - it's the PSG's low quality components that can't maintain a potential difference of a fraction of a volt for more than a fraction of a second. But a hack to make noise louder would be just that, a hack, and I don't want to do that. The difference beterrn the plugin and the real system is very small.

> Other factors include the frequency response curve of a typical TV speaker (they're very bassy), the frequency filtering done by the RF connection, etc. But playing the plugin and TV through the same speakers makes the difference very small indeed.

> Personally, I like "perfect" emulation rather than "authentic" emulation. I prefer to see sharp, square pixels than fuzzy scanlined ones, which is why I don't like Kega's TV mode. Maybe the fuzz is more authentic, it's a matter of opinion.

> Maxim

Well, why not add one option so you can choose an authentic mode if you want, but the perfect mode is default?

By the way, I sent you some xm-music files of Sega music I've done.

- Martin

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!