Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - SMSReader kits

Reply to topic
SMSReader kits
Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2001 10:28 pm
OK, so a few of you are interested in obtaining full kits of parts for the SMSReader and cartridges - you can buy them from me now. Prices are as follows (in UK Pounds):

SMSReader Kit - 12.00
32K Cartridge Kit - 9.00
256K (Two Mega) Cartridge Kit - 14.00

The postage will be 1.00 (UK), 2.00 (Europe), 2.50 (rest of world). That's per package, not per kit.

The "kits" contain all of the parts mentioned in the parts lists, so all you need is wire, solder and tools. In particular:

1) The SMSReader kit comes with a piece of Veroboard already cut to the correct size. It also contains the capacitors and resistors mentioned in the Troubleshooting guide - it's recommended that you fit them.

2) The cartridge kits come with a CR2032 battery that has solder terminals built in, so there's no need to risk injury by soldering wires directly to a normal CR2032.

Of course, for the cartridge kits you will need to find a suitable cart to modify; see the Cartridge guide for details.

If you want to order a kit or kits, just send me an e-mail at the address linked above.

Best wishes,

Mike

• Site Admin
"Bad dumps for all" !
Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2001 11:08 pm
> OK, so a few of you are interested in obtaining full kits of parts for the SMSReader and cartridges - you can buy them from me now. Prices are as follows (in UK Pounds):
> SMSReader Kit - 12.00
> 32K Cartridge Kit - 9.00
> 256K (Two Mega) Cartridge Kit - 14.00
[...]

Just a side related note. Anyone who is planning to build a SMS Reader for the purpose of dumping ROMs, please pay special attention to that.
With the work I furnished in the past years to limit public bad/corrupted dumps to the minimum, it would be shame if anyone started to dump everything incorrectly, thinking he got some exclusives, etc.
If you have any questions about dumping, please DO ask.
If you have any questions about games you feels like being undumped, please DO ask.
etc..
Of course, a SMS Reader/Writer with a rewriteable cartridge is great for development purpose and to play games on a real system! :)

I'm thinking about opening a 'dump' section, listing things that have been dumped, things needing informations (about variants, etc..), projects, etc..
I collected several hundred cartridges in the past years and silently redumped things already. It's often very difficult to 'label' a different ROM, because we don't know the origin of most old dumps, and we're unable to verify them. That is the first reason I'm collecting games, to have a 'real' database to be able to compare games/dumps with.

What I don't want are new dumps 'from nowhere'. If someone dump something, please DO keep the cartridge. It could be useful in several ways in the future.
I'm sorry being a bit harsh, but I'm REALLY worried about this subject. There are about 30 variants of Super Mario Bros available on the net, I don't want that to happen for SMS. :(

I have some dumps I'm completly unable to label right now (like a different Streets of Rage for GG), they will only appear once I can verify what version they are, etc.
Next thing I'll do will be to redump all European/US cards now that I have them all. I think many have bad headers. Some Japanese cards will have to be redumped, too, especially since MrLee dumps (released on DumpMasters) are likely to have at least bad headers, and maybe bad data (for the story, those dumps were made by MrLee many years ago, maybe a dozen, and most are known not to be perfect). Mike has been told about them since a while - sorry for not doing it yet. I've a billion of things listed to do, but i'll do them.
Limbs a Flyin'
Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2001 1:12 pm
neat!
what is the feasability of using this to dump pirate/foreign sms games in megadrive carts? i guess this is more of a question about how the ms-md system works rather than the dumper itself

Re: "Bad dumps for all" !
Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2001 1:45 pm
Some good advice Bock. I assumed that everyone would be interested primarily in the RW cart/development aspect, but those concerns are well worth mentioning in any case. I agree that if everyone made hundreds of bad dumps and started distributing them online it would create a lot of hassle - I personally think it's unlikely to happen, though.

Nothing has really changed vis-a-vis the SMSReader. I just thought I'd help out those on S8-Dev who wanted to build one but found it difficult/impossible to get hold of the components where they live. I'm not going to start an aggressive marketing campaign or anything ;-) - I don't have the time for that.

The suggestion of a "dumps" section is a good idea by the way - it would be extremely useful to have all of that info in one place.

Mike
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!