SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - [VGM Pack] Tails Adventure

Reply to topic
[VGM Pack] Tails Adventure
Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:35 am
http://www.smspower.org/Music/TailsAdventures-GG

Various sets for this game have been kicked around for nearly a decade now, but logging errors have kept any of them from getting approved. It would be a shame to have this little gem missing from the site, so I've redone the whole thing from scratch.

Among other issues, this update fixes looping errors in Poloy Forest and Volcanic Tunnel, sound effects playing over the music in Lake Rocky, and misspelled/inaccurate Japanese tags. I also changed the title of "Bad Ending" (known as "Endless Winner" in the oldest sets) to "Radio", since as far as I can tell this game only has one ending and the track is actually exclusive to the Radio item. If anyone has better information, please let me know.

It's my first time putting together a set, so I hope that if this isn't absolutely definitive, it's at least sufficient to put on the main site.

EDIT: I discovered I cut the track endings too close for at least VGMPlay's liking, so I added a short delay at the end of non-looping tracks to prevent the last notes from sticking.

EDITx2: Some tracks were still trimmed too close. Everything should be fine now. Probably.
Post Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:55 pm
Very nice work.

There are a few nitpicks I have though:
  • IMO you are the only one that should be in the VGM's "Creator" tag, since you completely reripped them. (I'd leave them in the "Pack created by" line though.)
    Anyone can feel free to correct me, (Maxim maybe?) but that's what I did in the Sonic 1 and 2 packs, too.
  • The VGMs are sample-accurate. You should run them through vgm_facc (from this tool package) to make them frame accurate and smaller.
  • dates should use 2 digits for day and month, i.e. 1995/09/22
  • Something that's not your fault, but I've updated the description file on the wiki.
    Now it looks like the last packs karagh updated according to the current standard and the package history looks a bit cleaner.
    What happened to him, btw?

Now let's talk about something interesting: the package history
I can confirm that there was a very old pack (version 1.00) from 2005 or earlier (most file dates say 1993-07-14, but this must be wrong, the playlist says 2003-07-20)
I also have newer pack (version 1.10) with VGMs from 2006-08-25 and txt/png from 2006-09-23.

So I'd suggest this package history:
1.00 2004/09/09 Grass-eatin'me: Initial
release?
1.10 2006/09/23 Yawackhary: Added intro and
password tracks, updated composer info, updated
game title.
2.00 2014/01/30 Supper: All tracks relogged ...

Anyway, I'll wait for your reply and approve the pack soon, if nobody has any other complaints.
Post Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:17 pm
Thanks for the input. Here's the updated pack edited per your comments.

[Admin: deleted attachments]
Post Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:51 am
Approved: http://www.smspower.org/Music/TailsAdventures-GG

Sorry for the delay, I had some RL issues.

Maxim, could you please have a look at the pack's wiki page?
The VGM pack list shows only "/ PSG" instead of "Game Gear / PSG" and I'm not sure what I can do about that. (Super Tetris, too, btw)
I may've done something wrong, since it's been years since I did the last wiki edit here.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:46 pm
The trick is to make sure you match the game name. This game is a particular problem because its name isn't consistently or grammatically presented. The wiki editing page did warn you "There is no page at Games.TailsAdventure-GG!" :)

I've done the renaming and it should be OK now. By matching up, it mean sit shows up on the game page too: http://www.smspower.org/Games/TailsAdventures-GG
Post Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:18 pm
Ah, so that was it. Thanks for clearing that up.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!