Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Meka 0.80 with new sound engine *TESTERS WANTED!*

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:59 am
Thanks Bock.

No need to rush to add the feature - I'm not using the Tilemap Viewer for anything in particular. I just happened to notice the height issue while researching this forum post.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:36 pm
Paul Baker wrote
A non-urgent feature request:

Games which use the extra-height 224-line video mode use a name table with 32 rows. When playing one of these games, would it be possible for Tilemap Viewer to expand vertically and show all 32 rows rather than only 28?

This is now done on SVN will be in the next build.
  • Site Admin
New build
Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:17 pm
Changes since the 05/05 build:
- Updated checksum and compatibility lists.
- Updated Dutch translation
- TilemapViewer: better support for graphics mode 2.
- TilemapViewer: support for 256x256 tilemap used in PAL/SECAM wide screen mode.
- Debugger: Added a "Reload Symbols" menu option.
- Fixed Sports Pad emulation (it's still quite tedious to use but it works).
- Configuration file is created early on startup if missing (because Unix/Mac builds have no interactive setup).
- Lots of code cleanup and portability/compilation fixes.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:35 pm
This may sound silly... but can there be a new build for DOS?
Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:50 pm
And... if you make another DOS build (please do! I use old MEKA on P2 laptops I find for cheap/free) can you add Disney Sound Source support? I have the C code you would need to scan it and turn it on. You will have to make a driver to poll the interrupts though. I was in the middle of doing this to my QDOS port, but haven't finished it up yet.
Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:02 pm
Hmm should have done a little more research since I read that almost everything has been changed in MEKA, it would be more trouble than it's worth to port.

Is it built on GCC? Maybe I could port parts of it with DJGPP. I'd have to write some sort of sound code for sure and a video driver.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:00 am
This must be a joke, I am not hearing that.
Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:22 am
No, it's not a joke. I still use DOS wherever possible. The last DOS build of MEKA works okay for the popular titles, however adding the Disney Sound Source support would be nice to have and there appears to be some bug which gives it a pagefault when I open up the ROM file browser and use the mouse to double click.

In any case, I take it you're not interested in possibly maintaining a DOS release again? As I said, after I posted all of this I noticed that you abandoned DOS support so things could move to SDL. This may actually work out because there is a DOS extender now which allows loading SDL (you can do crazy stuff like load DOSBox inside of DOS!),
HX DOS... I should test that out sometime.

I would be possibly up to the task of maintaining a separate fork of MEKA for DOS support, but only to fix bugs and add support for the newer titles. Any extra stuff like HQ3X rendering and other frills would be excluded as it's out of my abilities.

Shameless plug on my other DOS project to show you I'm serious,
QDOS.
Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:32 pm
The 'delete' key does not work in the cheat finder for me, only the 'backspace' key does allow to remove a value in the search box.
Mac builds
Post Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:51 am
Hello,

I've tried Meka several years ago and loved it for being the only emulator I could find at the time where the Light Phaser was emulated.
However, being a Mac user at home, I never used it a lot.

But it now seems that Mac builds are being made so I'd like to give it a new try.
I found and tried the 0.74 test build (posted by kingofcrusher in another thread that I can't link to, being a new user) with some excitement and it worked quite well.

I would be interested in testing recent Mac builds if someone can provide them.

Thanks for all the work put in this!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:00 am
MEKA really needs a Mac maintener, can you tell of anyone within the emulation or Mac community who may be interested?
Post Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:09 pm
The owner of consoleemu dot com (I can't post links) is gathering mac ports of emulators and building some of them.
However, I can't say if he would/could be an official maintainer.
He seems quite busy already.

You can try and contact him via Twitter or Facebook (contact details are on his page).
Post Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:37 am
Nolendil wrote
The owner of consoleemu dot com (I can't post links) is gathering mac ports of emulators and building some of them.
However, I can't say if he would/could be an official maintainer.
He seems quite busy already.

You can try and contact him via Twitter or Facebook (contact details are on his page).

Hello, hello! Things are a little less crazy for me now that I've moved and settled in a bit. It looks like Meka builds well on OS X 10.8, but I can't get it to do much because it stops after trying to run the setup.

Edit: Looks like creating a blank meka.cfg fixes things. See attached screenshot.
Screen Shot 2012-12-19 at 1.57.54 AM.png (125.09 KB)
Screenshot of Meka working on OS X 10.8
Screen Shot 2012-12-19 at 1.57.54 AM.png

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:03 am
Thanks for your help :) we've got to locate the reason running with no .cfg file fail as well as the color-keying not working. There is code somewhere that replace the pink with transparent pixels but it didn't work on my Mac either.
Do you think you could provide regular builds? Do you have an idea how to "package" things in a neat way? I don't know myself. Thanks!
Post Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:23 pm
Hello, hello. I should be able to provide regular builds. It looks like the .tga source files appear to have pink around them even outside of MEKA, and editing those files seems to do the trick. It's a different solution, but it works.

I've attached a test build for OS X. It might need 10.7 to run, I'm not really sure. It should contain all the .dylib dependencies it needs to run properly (I'm new to that bit). I wasn't sure what icon to use, so if someone posts the preferred icon here I can throw that in the build.

If someone can give this a try and let me know if it works, that'd be just dandy. It does on my machine, but I have all the dependencies installed already.
Screen Shot 2012-12-19 at 2.17.09 PM.png (148.98 KB)
MEKA without pink around the SMS
Screen Shot 2012-12-19 at 2.17.09 PM.png
MEKA.zip (1.24 MB)
MEKA OS X test build

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:42 pm
Great!

I would like to keep the pink in the file. There is code to replace it at runtime, except it doesn't work on Mac I don't know why yet! Let's solve that.
Would you like to setup a webpage or maybe just simply opening a thread on this forum to provide new builds? Would be amazing :) Thanks!
Post Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:32 am
ConsoleEmu wrote
I've attached a test build for OS X. It might need 10.7 to run, I'm not really sure. It should contain all the .dylib dependencies it needs to run properly (I'm new to that bit). I wasn't sure what icon to use, so if someone posts the preferred icon here I can throw that in the build.

If someone can give this a try and let me know if it works, that'd be just dandy. It does on my machine, but I have all the dependencies installed already.

I tried it and it crashes on launch on my 10.7 machine.
I didn't find the .cfg file, maybe that's why.
Post Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:02 am
I think I've got working tarballs now. I needed a whole bunch of files to be in the same directory as MEKA.app. An app bundle on OS X usually consists of a folder with the '.app' extension. So, the typical app bundle would have the following files and folders:

MEKA.app/Contents/MacOS/meka (the binary)
MEKA.app/Contents/libs/ (.dylib dependencies go here)
MEKA.app/Contents/info.plist (information about the binary, such as icon and file associations)
MEKA.app/Contents/Resources

It seems to me that MEKA should look for the following files and folders in the "Resources" folder:

meka.blt meka.cfg meka.dat meka.dsk meka.fdb meka.inp meka.msg meka.nam meka.pat meka.thm datafiles

That would certainly make for neater packaging.

I'll be posting the latest builds at consoleemu . com / emulator / meka. (There's one there now!)

I threw together a higher resolution icon, too. It's based on the "M" from the MEKA logo. If you want me to change it in any way, let me know.

I guess that's it for now. Let me know if I can do anything else!
Post Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:13 am
Nolendil wrote

I tried it and it crashes on launch on my 10.7 machine.
I didn't find the .cfg file, maybe that's why.

Yeah, I was missing a lot of required files, but they should all be there now. Let me know if the build posted above (or on my website) work for you.
Post Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:43 am
Just to keep Bock informed: the builds crash on my 10.7 laptop.
I guess everyone will be busy for the next weeks anyway :o)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:36 pm
Bock wrote
Changes since the 05/05 build:
- Updated Dutch translation
- TilemapViewer: better support for graphics mode 2.
- TilemapViewer: support for 256x256 tilemap used in PAL/SECAM wide screen mode.
- Debugger: Added a "Reload Symbols" menu option.
- Fixed Sports Pad emulation (it's still quite tedious to use but it works).
- Configuration file is created early on startup if missing (because Unix/Mac builds have no interactive setup).
- Lots of code cleanup and portability/compilation fixes.

NB- The december 17 build has a bug where MEKA.PAT fails to parse correctly so patches (to run BIOS images as games etc.) do not work in this build. It is fixed on SVN.
Post Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:00 pm
When I run Meka the video 'skips' or 'pauses' for a split second every few frames. It happens as soon as the program boots as the menu options are being drawn on the screen scrolling from right to left. It doesn't matter what video mode I use (Direct X, OGL or OGL 3), whether it's full screen or windowed or what I set the frameskipping to.

It never happened in 0.73 (and still doesn't) but happens in every build of the alphas posted on the forum.

I have the same problem on different machines and different Windows Os's too. I've tried on a Dell Mini 9 with XP and Intel GMA, Dell XPS 1710 with nVidia 7950 GTX with both XP and Vista. An HP NC6700 with Intel GMA and XP and finally a Toshiba NB550D with AMD graphics 6290 APU and Windows 7.

All windows builds are 32 bit.

I am completely ignorant when it comes to programming but the only thing that I can think of is that the Allegro library (or whatever it is!) seems to be the biggest difference between 0.73 and the new builds...

It's particularly perplexing as I seem to be the only person with this problem.
Post Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:17 pm
Hot_Violet wrote
When I run Meka the video 'skips' or 'pauses' for a split second every few frames. It happens as soon as the program boots as the menu options are being drawn on the screen scrolling from right to left. It doesn't matter what video mode I use (Direct X, OGL or OGL 3), whether it's full screen or windowed or what I set the frameskipping to.

It never happened in 0.73 (and still doesn't) but happens in every build of the alphas posted on the forum.

I have the same problem on different machines and different Windows Os's too. I've tried on a Dell Mini 9 with XP and Intel GMA, Dell XPS 1710 with nVidia 7950 GTX with both XP and Vista. An HP NC6700 with Intel GMA and XP and finally a Toshiba NB550D with AMD graphics 6290 APU and Windows 7.

All windows builds are 32 bit.

I am completely ignorant when it comes to programming but the only thing that I can think of is that the Allegro library (or whatever it is!) seems to be the biggest difference between 0.73 and the new builds...

It's particularly perplexing as I seem to be the only person with this problem.

Hi Hot violet from Scotland

You're not the only one in this world. I've got the same problem with this kind of "pause" or "skips" in all new windows builds since the official 0.73.

i've reported this problem on this forum, but without answers.

For example (I think the best one) : Action Fighter...this game have the most "speed scrolling" of the SMS. On MEKA 0.73, the game works fine without "skips". On the new windows MEKA builds, It doesn't work, we have "scrolling skips".

I hope the MEKA "engineers" will work for a fix ; I don't want using another emulator....I hope MEKA will not give me this choice

See ya' ...Peace on SMS
Post Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:39 pm
musuruan wrote
I can go to fullscreen pressing ALT+ENTER, but pressing these keys again will render the Gnome session broken. The screen will be restored to your previous resolution, but you can only see a portion of the screen of the size of the meka fullscreen window (I think it was 800x600 in my case), the rest of the screen is black and you cannot access it.

I confirm that bug. I run the 2012/05/05 build under Fedora 17 64 bits with Gnome 3. I then have to reboot the computer to fix that.

Other problem: FM music sounds overall correct although jerky. But sound effects are ugly. I guess the cause is the same and it's probably a known problem, but I prefer to report it anyway, just in case. :)
Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:29 pm
If it hasn't been found yet, I have something new.

In the memory editor, when the number of columns is different from 16, the address at the beginning of each line is different from the address written for the selected byte in the bottom of the window. The farther we go in the memory, the more they diverge. For example, the first byte of the last line (with 32 bytes per line) has an address of D1E0 on a line which header is DFE0.

My build is the 2012/12/31.

PS: that bug seems to happen only when I scroll on the window, not when I click directly on the value (when the window hasn't been scrolled yet). I guess the algorythm doesn't use the custom values, only the default 16 columns value.
Good To See!
Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:38 am
Hey there,

I was so happy to see my favourite SMS emulator was having another update! I downloaded the most recent beta in this thread, and discovered that it doesn't like being installed over 0.73, throwing up sound buffer errors. Doing a clean install removes this.

I've not had time to do much further testing, however one small UI issue that's always been there, and I'd like to see fixed if possible please, is the inability to set controllers outside of the order that Windows sees them in.

To explain: You can't change 3/6 Joypad 1 to Player 2, nor can you click it's controls and input any other controller except the one listed first by Windows. In my case, I have currently an MS Sidewinder Pro Flightstick and a Logic3 Arcade Stick both in USB ports, and Joypad 1 will only take input from the Sidewinder. 4/6 Joypad 2 takes the Arcade stick input, but not the Flightstick in turn.

Suggested Solution: Drop down box to map specific controller to Player X, or allowing Player 1 to be swapped with Player 2 with a click on that line in the box, thus swapping what controller it maps too.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:40 pm
Titler,
Thanks for the report. I am aware that the Inputs configuration is a bit limited and I intend to rework it. However I think you should be able to edit meka.inp and change the "connection" setting to other values to achieve what you want. Let me know if that works.
Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:21 am
Report: Editing the meka.inp and swapping Connection from 1 to 2 (and 2 to 1) does indeed allow you to use the connector in Port 2 and remap from inside the editor.
Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:43 am
Sorry if I said it already, can you still add support for a sprite viewer, just for a good cause? No SMS/GG/8-bit emulators supported it...

But some other emulators that are from the NES/SNES/GB side have this support!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:50 am
I'm hoping to do so eventually, but so much things in the pipe! Why don't you guy give it a try to implement one yourself?
Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:58 pm
Just Checking, Because I am terrible at C/C++ and can so do little with the skill I have now, So the only option like you said, Wait until MEKA improves...
Post Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:32 pm
Bock wrote

NB- The december 17 build has a bug where MEKA.PAT fails to parse correctly so patches (to run BIOS images as games etc.) do not work in this build. It is fixed on SVN.

Ah okay, I think this may be why I haven't been able to use Meka.pat to apply some cheats to Zillion. Nothing seemed to stick, even after I followed the correct format (or at least what I believe to be correct). I could be just also mucking it up though, as I am new to using the memory editor/debug/cheat finder for anything...
Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:21 am
Do you guys (the devs) take requests for additional features, specifically debugging features? I'm interested in doing some maybe doing some hacking on the system in future. I was looking at a GG game earlier with the debugger and I have to admit that I was generally impressed with the debugging tools at my disposal. I however found myself wishing for a few minor things. Would it be possible to add a search function to the memory editor? Also, it looks there are various options to dump stuff, but nothing to produce a log of executed code. I like to trace the code from time to time when I need a bit more than debugging.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:22 am
The cheat finder links to the memory viewer, and offers more than simple searching.

A trace might get big fast, and at ~10MB/s would potentially slow things down a lot.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:51 pm
Yes, feedback and request are welcome for the debugging tools!

As Maxim can point you can use the cheat finder to search for data. But it doesn't allow to search for sequence longer than 3 bytes at the moment. I suppose it would be relatively easily to add a Search command in the debugger now that the underlying code allows for it.

In what context you use the dumping feature? When would you typically want it to start, stop, etc. Because typically dumping all opcode would get you enormous amount of entries and loops wouldn't be particularly exciting. Are you aware that you can press ENTER you run one instruction? And if you hold ENTER it'll repeat as a rate. It may not be what you want though.
Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:04 pm
I know that feeling.
What would be good is to start/stop tracing at the moment I press a key/click a button.
Maybe it's just how I've gotten used to doing ROM hacks, but I like to have a trace log so I can study code at my leisure. Having actual data with it (like CPU registers and data of read/written ROM/RAM data) makes it easier to track what code is doing, and then afterwards I could try to use a disassembler to figure out any remaining branches of the code I can't execute in-game.
I also usually after disassembling a code (such as graphics decompression), find I need to be able to reference earlier data in the dump (such as data initialization pointers).
10MB/sec? Doesn't sound like much these days, I'm used to seeing SNES dumps hundreds of MB for only a few seconds. :) That's typically how long I leave dumping on at a time. Turn it on as the game goes into a loading screen, turn it off after loading is done. Finding text in a menu? Turn trace on, open menu, turn off when done, that sort of thing.
But if size is an issue, I did see one emulator that offered an option to split files after every 64k instructions for those with PCs that can't open such large files without crashing their text editor.
Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:51 pm
What KingMike said. I'm used to slow speeds with tracing, that's not a problem since there's usually a specific part of the game I want to trace the code for.

FCEUX actually has this option where you can log a set number of instructions (say 10000) to a screen instead of producing the usual log file and you can browse the logged code in the emulator. It also works well with breakpoints like when the debugger snaps on a breakpoint, the logger stops too. For me that would be ideal, but I'd settle for a basic log file.

I don't think I have anymore requests. I'd really have to start hacking a game to find out, but MEKA looks real solid for a debugger.

I've been using the debugger a bit, successfully set some breakpoints to find where some pointers we stored. One thing is annoying me though, but maybe I'm just doing something. It keeps breaking on stuff that I don't recall setting breakpoints for and I can't just get it to run normally then break on my breakpoints.
Mekaw has stopped working... (Win7)
Post Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:22 pm
I have Windows 7. The stable version of MEKAw runs without problems. This version starts up, and then - after initialization - it exits with the error message "mekaw has stopped working..." ? I want it very much to work, so that I can utilize the built-in cheat finder....
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:58 pm
hang-on wrote
I have Windows 7. The stable version of MEKAw runs without problems. This version starts up, and then - after initialization - it exits with the error message "mekaw has stopped working..." ? I want it very much to work, so that I can utilize the built-in cheat finder....

Hmmm.... I'm not sure where that would be coming from.

Can you edit the file 'mekaw.cfg' and try the following variations for the video driver settings:

video_driver = directx
or
video_driver = opengl

See if any makes a difference.
Thanks!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:01 pm
Meka starts offscreen on one of my computers.
Post Posted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:11 pm
Hi Bock.

I have tried both of these:

video_driver = directx
or
video_driver = opengl

I had it on 'safe' also. But still it terminates with the standard error message. I have a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo (pretty old). It already has some issue with it's gfx drivers, and Fujitsu doesn't support it for Win7, so I think it is just my special case of hardware/software.

I will just stick to the stable version of Meka for now. Thank you for an incredible tool/emulator, Bock!!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:10 pm
No no no, this isn't an acceptable conclusion. MEKA needs to get fixed to work, there is no "special case of hardware/software". 0.73 is extremely old, 0.8x has enormous amount of change and it is marked "WIP" for those reasons that I am trying to fix. :)
Are you using the 2012/12 dated build?

I can create a build with more information to help me track down the problem.
Post Posted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:12 pm
I got the 2012-12-16 build just now, and it works perfectly! Sorry for the confusion. I really thought I had the latest build, by now I see that it is dated (2011-10-23). I don't know what I was thinking. I can now see the cheatfinder tool. Oh - this is great!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:52 pm
Yeaaaaah! :)
Post Posted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:34 pm
Bock wrote
I am also trimming a lot of the very old features, [...] mini game easter eggs and NES emulation.

Sad :(
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:35 pm
remax wrote
Bock wrote
I am also trimming a lot of the very old features, [...] mini game easter eggs and NES emulation.

Progress!
Post Posted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:33 pm
Bock wrote
remax wrote
Bock wrote

Progress!

Yeah i know but these easter eggs were so fun... :D

That's like turning a (more than) 10 year page, so that's sad for the old followers like me

That doesn't mean of course i'll stop liking Meka ;)
  • Site Admin
New build
Post Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:06 pm
Changes since the Dec 16 build:
- Fixed broken parsing of meka.pat
- CheatFinder: removed "reduce" button and streamlined interface.
- Debugger: Disassembler decode labels in 'RST xx' instructions.
- Debugger: Added VARS command ("Variables") to display content pointed by symbols in RAM.
- MemoryEditor: fixed display of address when number of columns is not 16.
*UPDATED* Extras:
- Debugger: Referring to a symbol using with the : prefix (in the form ":xxxx") returns the ROM address instead of the CPU address.
- Debugger: Better support for 24-bits constants.

• Site Admin
New build
Post Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:58 am
- Updated from Allegro 5.0.2 to 5.0.9 - I think this made the package bigger so also I compiled and packaged this one from my work computer so there may be other things involved. Let me know if this is working better!
- Fixed :label rom address calculation (thanks Calindro).

• Site Admin
New build
Post Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:15 am
- Disassembler decode symbols given their full ROM bank mapping (if bank information is provided by symbol file).
- Debugger is always available at runtime. Obsoleted /DEBUG command-line parameter.
- Tidied up menu entries. Menus are now displaying shortcuts.
Discontinued ALT+P (=F12) and CTRL+X (=F10) shortcuts.
- Including Allegro binaries in repository, it should now be possible to compile the Windows version with Visual Studio 2008 with zero configuration step :)
- Added a batch script 'tools/dist_bin_win32.bat' to create binary Win32 package in one step, including UPX and ZIP tools in repository.
menus.png (4.1 KB)
menus.png

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!