SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - GG/SMS flash cartridge schematic and CPLD pof file

Reply to topic
GG/SMS flash cartridge schematic and CPLD pof file
Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:42 am
Last edited by zythappy on Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
Below is the schematic and CPLD pof file .THe design is base on viletim's design.Thanks .
By the way.because of the less pin of EPM7032.so this cartridge can't fit 8M games.and the codemasters cartridge is not compatible .To burn the flash chip(29C040,39SF040,29c020,etc),you should buy a programmer.
the schematic perhaps have some error.if someone find it .please let me know.
ff.PNG (630 KB)
finished flash cartridge
ff.PNG
ggsms_flashcard_188.png (86.57 KB)
schematic include save ram
ggsms_flashcard_188.png
ggmaptest.rar (675 B)
EPM7032 pof file .use ALTERA QuartusII software to flash.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:51 pm
Very nice. Thanks for sharing this with us!
Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:27 pm
This looks good. ^ ^ ^ ^

What 3V battery are you reccomending that tollerates ~5V?
Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:13 am
Looks nice... Anyone interested in a PCB layout for this? I might try making one...

PS: I agree with Snow Cat - the battery connection seems a little strange.

PPS: On the 6246 Pin 2 (A12) seems unconnected to anything. Is this correct?
Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:35 pm
Awesome!

I'm curious if the .POF for this Quartus project was created using VHDL code or compiled using the Schematic Block editor? That is what I was hoping to see. :)

Regardless, Very Cool indeed.

Thanks Zythappy for posting this.
-Gerry
Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:10 pm
If you do make a layout using Eagle, I suggest using the SMS-PCB in the docs.google.com Sega Parts library (2010.09.20.wip.zip),

Gerry has already confirmed that it fits the shells he has, and it includes the GameGear card edge.
Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:05 am
Looks interesting, although I won't be using Eagle, I much prefer KiCAD. (But I should still be able to extract the dimensions of the footprint from your Eagle library)

In any case, I would probably try a Master System version first, since I don't have a Game Gear anyway.

I can try to make a Game Gear version but would need to know more about the dimensions of the cartridge, which side the contacts are on, how wide it needs to be, how far the PCB goes into the Game Gear, etc.

I assume most people would want a single-sided board they can make more easily themselves, although this of course is not possible for the Master System but it would appear the Game Gear has contacts only on one side.
Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:22 pm
I'll add a Game Gear PCB to the que of parts to be drawn.
Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:38 am
Just finished off the first revision of a layout for this :) - been sitting at 99% for a long time, wanted to get something done!

It's a bit ugly, and I'm sure it could be better routed - but as long as Zythappy's schematic is correct I see no reason for it not to work just fine!

I took the liberty of adding some decoupling capacitors for the ICs, and I think having 2 diodes for the battery backup might work better than 1 diode and a resistor (Probably good if someone can verify this!!)

3D rendering doesn't easily show it, but I made clearance for a ZIF socket for the EEPROM (although I have not received the ones I bought, so I have not checked the dimensions against reality)

As long as the design checks out OK I will make one once I get a UV exposure box - doing double-sided PCBs are too much of a pain with laser-printer transfer (I will keep that for single-sided only!)

If anyone wants to build it, go ahead. You will need KiCad to open the files. Free download for Windows from: http://www.lis.inpg.fr/realise_au_lis/kicad and Ubuntu etc already have it in the repos. There's a Mac version somewhere too, but apparently it's buggy.

Note: The 3rd layer (white) tracks are NOT for actual internal layers! They represent wire links. Links that cross over component-side tracks will need to be insulated.

If it all checks out OK - I'll make a version which is more optimized for production with plated through-holes which will greatly cut down on vias - assuming enough people are interested!
MAX7032SMSCART.jpg (80.16 KB)
3D render of board
MAX7032SMSCART.jpg
MAX7032SMSCART.zip (349.03 KB)
Project files

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:09 am
i AM interested :D
Post Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:00 am
below is the design file,use altera quartus complie it .
ggmap.rar (147.95 KB)
design file

Post Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:27 am
Awesome!!!

Thanks for sharing....and all your hard work.

Cheers!
-Gerry
Post Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:18 am
Zythappy: I'm working towards building myself one of these now, but I wonder if you can help me out with something about this design?

I'm trying to figure out what the difference is between your version and the original from Viletim?
(http://www.smspower.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9821)

I've looked at both his and your files, and come to the conclusion that the only difference is you've ditched the external 7430 8-input AND in favour of implementing it on the CPLD.

You said it can't support codemasters scheme and can't support 8Mbit cartridges but all the logic for it still seems to be there?

With that in mind, you seem to have added the extra 8-Input AND gate and yet can fit the whole thing in an EPM7032 whereas Viletim said that his design can't fit in an EPM7032 and yet he had to use the 7430 even with the EPM7064.

What am I missing?

Cheers
CPLD
Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:33 pm
Thanks for sharing this to us! By the way, did you use a regulator in this design? I notice that the battery is just 3V and I think it's not enough to supply the entire circuit and the chips.
Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:46 pm
jorn89 wrote
Thanks for sharing this to us! By the way, did you use a regulator in this design? I notice that the battery is just 3V and I think it's not enough to supply the entire circuit and the chips.

The battery doesn't power the whole cartridge. it's just to provide backup power for the RAM when the console is off, so you don't lose your saved games.

The same backup battery concept applies in retail games with save ability.

Voltage regulator is not needed, everything runs from 5v provided by the console.
Post Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:42 pm
Sorry to dig up this old topic. I'm currently layouting a cart for homebrew in Eagle. Can anybody please have a look at my schematic and verify if I made the correct connections?
Thanks guys! Much appreciated!
sms.png (40.95 KB)
sms.png

Post Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:47 pm
ArcadeTV wrote
Sorry to dig up this old topic. I'm currently layouting a cart for homebrew in Eagle. Can anybody please have a look at my schematic and verify if I made the correct connections?
Thanks guys! Much appreciated!

I didn't take a good look, but at first glance, you should probably add decoupling capacitors (100nF) to each Vcc pin of the CPLD.
Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:07 am
I haven't included the caps in my mockup yet, they'll be added of course, thanks. Can anybody confirm the connections of the cpld are correct?
I'm unsure about /RD and /RESET.
Master System Cart based on zythappy's CPLD
Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:23 pm
Here's something based on this for the Master System.
Untestet at this moment but the pcb's came in yesterday, so I guess I can run the test after the weekend.
top.png (42.58 KB)
top.png
bottom.png (35.67 KB)
bottom.png
MS_REPRO_CART_ATV.zip (129.99 KB)
Eagle and Gerber Files

Revo
Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:44 pm
Not my favorite one, but a really nice one ;) Good job.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:29 pm
Like this ;)

based on the tim's original schematic,
removed SRAM, added FRAM (no battery),
with an homemade jtag header.
post-5150-0-45487000-1448629521.jpg (134.46 KB)
SMS pcb eprom / eeprom + fram
post-5150-0-45487000-1448629521.jpg

Revo
Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:20 pm
Wow really impressive work Ichigo, I never saw that in my life before ;p

I think ArcadeTV is clearly taking inspiration from one of the best.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:18 pm
ArcadeTV wrote
Untestet at this moment but the pcb's came in yesterday, so I guess I can run the test after the weekend.

How did you get on?
PCB quote options
Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:35 pm
I have found a company in the UK that claim to be the cheapest for small run PCB printing. http://www.tecbridgecircuits.co.uk

Thinking of getting a quote. Can anyone advise me on these options for getting the SMS design kindly posted here by ArcadeTV.

Or if anyone else has a printable design they would be happy to share that would be amazing.

Width (mm)
Height (mm)
Material: FR4 or Other
Finish: HASL lead free
Copper weight: (oz per sq ft)
No of copper layers: (1, 2 ,4,6,8 or 10)
PCB Thickness: 1.6mm or 2.5mm (or other).

As you can tell I am new to all this but I am trying to learn.

J
Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:16 pm
ArcadeTV wrote

Sorry for posting on such an old topic.
But I would like to know if anyone has had success with this ArcadeTV card? I had this board manufactured for testing. I used EPM7032STC44-10N that I bought here. https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/4001103182262.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.5000b90ao7vmZZ
I recorded it as follows with the USB Alter Blaster (Chinese): I opened the Quartus program compatible with this version of CPLD, clicked on the program icon, recognized the EPM, then selected the file (even from the ArcadeTV post) and recorded it. The program said the recording was successful. But it did not work. After trying to compare the scheme with the pins of my EPM, I noticed that the author used the PLCC version and the pinouts are different from the one used on the arcadeTV card ... I thought it could be that, but checking the card's connections I realized that ArcadeTV redesigned the pinouts to work with this other version of EPM, so the problem should not be this.

Maybe the POF file has to be changed to work with this different version of pins?

Note:
*I used all the components described on the board Except for the eprom (I used a FLASH compatible, taking care to use the WE control pins correctly, etc.).
*What I get is a "Software ERROR" screen. I also tested it on the megadrive through an adapter (black screen).
*Recordable different games for foreheads (alien3, alex kidd, bomber raid among others).
*I recorded the soldered EPM alone on the board ... then I redid the recording with the other components (but without success)
*My mastersystem is the Brazilian 3 (sonic in memory).
*The roms have the correct checksum tested in the program provided in SMSPOWER.
*I know there are other versions out there (dbelectronics, viletim, and another in this same topic), but they are for different CPLD and I need to use what I have in my hands

Where can I be wrong?
thank you
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!