Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - VGMTool development

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
VGMTool development
Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 4:41 pm
Here's what I've been doing recently...

- Offset remover, removes annoying offsets and clicks caused by games leaving a tone channel at 0 frequency but not turning the volume off. Those who know will see that this will also destroy voices but for music it's very helpful. See Out Run 3D, Micro Machines, and (most importantly) Aztec Adventure, which applies volume envelopes to zero-frequency channels, ack!
- Channel usage counter, so you can see exactly how many times each channel is used, most importantly for...
- Channel-specific data removal - you want to remove PSG channel 2 from the VGM? Now you can. You can also remove stuff which the general optimiser can't (yet) pick up like unused channels. Also, if you want to see if a channel is used you can strip everything but that and write it to a WAV, and it's very quick to see if it's a flat line or not.

Release... some time.

Maxim
Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 1:59 pm
> Here's what I've been doing recently...

> - Offset remover, removes annoying offsets and clicks caused by games leaving a tone channel at 0 frequency but not turning the volume off. Those who know will see that this will also destroy voices but for music it's very helpful. See Out Run 3D, Micro Machines, and (most importantly) Aztec Adventure, which applies volume envelopes to zero-frequency channels, ack!
> - Channel usage counter, so you can see exactly how many times each channel is used, most importantly for...
> - Channel-specific data removal - you want to remove PSG channel 2 from the VGM? Now you can. You can also remove stuff which the general optimiser can't (yet) pick up like unused channels. Also, if you want to see if a channel is used you can strip everything but that and write it to a WAV, and it's very quick to see if it's a flat line or not.

> Release... some time.

> Maxim

a bit OT, but I thought you might like to know that the self-installing VGM plugin doesn't actually install anything... At least not for me, anyway...
  • Site Admin
Self-installer broken
Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 8:55 am
> a bit OT, but I thought you might like to know that the self-installing VGM plugin doesn't actually install anything... At least not for me, anyway...

Damn! I just tried it... it puts the DLL in Winamp's directory, not plugins under it, due to a stupid mistake I made. I'll do my best to update it ASAP.

Maxim
Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 10:59 am
Just a hint - Try running a converted GYM file through VGMTool (use the optimiser or something). Now listen to it. Slight problem - it removes all the YM2612 data. Just thought you'd want to know before you release the plugin with YM2612 support.

Anyway, does anyone know how Kega's VGM logging is coming along? It'd be nice to not have to use converted GYMs, and Steve's DAC hack sounds interesting
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 8:13 pm
> Just a hint - Try running a converted GYM file through VGMTool (use the optimiser or something). Now listen to it. Slight problem - it removes all the YM2612 data. Just thought you'd want to know before you release the plugin with YM2612 support.

I know, this is an old message. I fixed that when I released the plugin, I'm learning the YM2612 data format at the moment (text writer first as usual).

> Anyway, does anyone know how Kega's VGM logging is coming along?

*sniff* You must have heard about Kega by now...

Maxim
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!