Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - 8-pin DIN cable for SC-3000

Reply to topic
8-pin DIN cable for SC-3000
Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:14 am
I got a Yeno SC-3000 in the mail today, but I need an 8-pin DIN AV cable for it. I tried a 5-pin one, but the picture was just dark grey, with barely visible text on screen.

Does anyone know where I can get an 8-pin DIN AV cable - to composite/component/S-video connection?
Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:37 pm
I think you'll find that your problem isn't the cable, rather that the Yeno's output a SECAM signal - so you'll have to find a compatible TV.

In any event, my SC-3000's only have a 5-pin video plug, are the Yeno's different to this? Also, unless the Yeno's are different, the SC-3000 only outputs an RF or composite signal, so no s-video, component or RGB. I know the Yenos come with a SCART cable but it isn't fully wired/RGB, it's only wired for composite.

Take it you got it from QuickSales?
Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:49 pm
Take it you got it from QuickSales?

...yeah... how'd you guess? :)

In any event, my SC-3000's only have a 5-pin video plug, are the Yeno's different to this?

It has an 8-pin plug. It comes with a SCART cable, with an 8-pin DIN on the other end - but seriously, who has a TV with a SCART input these days?

I think you'll find that your problem isn't the cable, rather that the Yeno's output a SECAM signal - so you'll have to find a compatible TV.

Yeah, I know. Jacko said he got one working with a composite cable no problem - I guess I should ask what sort of TV he has, too. I've PM'd him, but he hasn't replied yet.

I'm considering trying to make my own cable...
Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:01 pm
gregglesaurus wrote

...yeah... how'd you guess? :)

As there's only 2 people I know of in Australia with a stash of these, one person is selling them for $100+ and the other $60.

gregglesaurus wrote

It has an 8-pin plug. It comes with a SCART cable, with an 8-pin DIN on the other end - but seriously, who has a TV with a SCART input these days?

Wow, that's interesting to know, thanks for sharing. I have a SCART TV but it was a pain in the bum to track down.

gregglesaurus wrote

Yeah, I know. Jacko said he got one working with a composite cable no problem - I guess I should ask what sort of TV he has, too. I've PM'd him, but he hasn't replied yet.

Do you think the Yeno video plug is wired differently? Is there a pinout for it anywhere? I know there's one for the standard SEGA SC-3000, not sure I've ever seen one for the Yeno branded ones though.

A standard 5-pin Master System AV composite cable should work fine in theory, unless of course the pinout is different. I take it this is what you tried? If so, maybe it is indeed a matter of your TV not supporting the SECAM signal, or there's the slight possibility of the console being faulty.
Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:12 pm
Do you think the Yeno video plug is wired differently? Is there a pinout for it anywhere? I know there's one for the standard SEGA SC-3000, not sure I've ever seen one for the Yeno branded ones though.

I did find this: http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/gamescart/gamescart.htm - it has diagrams of 8-pin pinouts to SCART for SMS/MD... I can only imagine it's the same for the Yeno, but I guess that's a risky assumption to make...

As there's only 2 people I know of in Australia with a stash of these, one person is selling them for $100+ and the other $60.

Hmm. Well, pity I didn't get the $60 guy...

A standard 5-pin Master System AV composite cable should work fine in theory, unless of course the pinout is different. I take it this is what you tried? If so, maybe it is indeed a matter of your TV not supporting the SECAM signal, or there's the slight possibility of the console being faulty.

Yeah, that's what I tried. It could possibly be a compatibility issue... but I would have thought it'd just be black and white... whereas this is just grey... and you can just barely make out text on the screen. I guess it could be a faulty console, but I'd need to rule out the other possibilities first.
Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:32 pm
Well I can tell you that the SEGA SC-3000 has the same pinout as the Master System/Mega Drive 1 as far as composite video, mono audio and grounds are concerned. I can use the same cable on all 3 systems without issue.

The Sega SC-3000's have this pinout (from the connector on the console):

1         5
       2     4

1: Composite video
2: Ground
3: Ground
4: Ground
5: Monoaural audio

Not sure what the Yeno is doing with the extra pins, perhaps by some miracle it does output an RGB signal? Would make sense given its origins (SCART is/was a standard/common connection in France).

I know of someone with the Yeno console and due to his TV not supporting the SECAM signal, his displays with incorrect colours (blue where it should be black etc) but he never mentioned anything about blurred text. He also didn't have a SCART TV so was using a Master System AV cable. He never did get it working correctly.

Do the Yenos also have the separate RF connection? Maybe give that a try also, though I think you'll have more luck with composite.
Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:35 pm
Do the Yenos also have the separate RF connection? Maybe give that a try also, though I think you'll have more luck with composite.

No, for some evil reason, the RF socket is plugged. It's there, but got a plastic covering over it. The TV select switch space is also there, but the switch is removed...

Not sure what the Yeno is doing with the extra pins, perhaps by some miracle it does output an RGB signal?

I have heard that is the case, yeah.
Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:41 pm
Hey, I just tracked down the thread I was thinking of on another forum where someone else was in a similar situation. He ended up grabbing a Mega Drive 1 RGB SCART cable and these were his results:

just tried it, it works but there is no sounds a faint horizontal line slowly moves through the background from top to bottom. also the black background is blue. not sure if it's the cable, the system or my tv

He was using it via a SCART to Component encoder, but that shouldn't alter the outcome.
Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:04 pm
Thought of a couple more things you could try...

Since you have the original Yeno SCART cable, and assuming you have a TV with Component input, you could grab a SCART to Component encoder, such as the CSY-2100.

You could also try a SCART breakout box which will provide you with composite outputs:

It's the little device with the red/white RCA plugs coming out of it.
DSC04135.jpg (44.88 KB)
DSC04135.jpg

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:08 pm
I see - so both of those in conjunction would give component with audio?
Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:14 pm
gregglesaurus wrote
I see - so both of those in conjunction would give component with audio?

Yes.

If you used just the CSY-2100 encoder on its own, you will only receive video as for some stupid reason they never bothered to include audio outputs on it. Of course, this is assuming the Yeno outputs RGB.

The breakout box provides you with your audio outputs, and an optional composite video output.

You could also use the breakout box on its own to gain composite video and audio. Not sure if this would work though. It works on my Master System/Mega Drive etc but I've never tried it with a Yeno.
Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:16 pm
Cool, I might give that a go! Thanks!
Post Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:03 am
Frank_fjs wrote
Not sure what the Yeno is doing with the extra pins, perhaps by some miracle it does output an RGB signal?
Yes, I have a Yeno in captivity, it has RGB output on the 8-pin DIN, as well as composite sync (note, no composite video), and a couple of fixed voltages for SCART signalling. Does not have RF modulator, the hole in case where RF RCA socket usually is has a rubber bung fitted.

Also, for others, surely SECAM is irrelevant if we're using RGB?

Edit: as regards poster's original issue - yes, you'll not get any composite cable working with a Yeno like mine, they just don't have a composite output at all.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!