Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - [Coding competition 2012] Lost Raider by vingazole and ichigobankai

Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2  Next

Rate this entry!

1 (poor) 0% 0%
2 0% 0%
3 0% 0%
4 0% 0%
5 3% 3%
6 3% 3%
7 27% 27%
8 37% 37%
9 (excellent) 27% 27%
This poll has expired.
  • Site Admin
[Coding competition 2012] Lost Raider by vingazole and ichigobankai
Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:04 pm
Last edited by Maxim on Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
http://www.smspower.org/Homebrew/LostRaider-SMS

vingazole wrote
Hi ! This is our entry for the 2012 SMS Power Coding Competition, it's called "Lost Raider" and because of the lack of time it's unfinished (of course !). There is no music nor any sound effect which is nice : you'll be able to play it and to listen to the music competition entries at the same time^^
Ichigobankai made the level design and the graphisms/animation, I (vingazole) wrote the code. The game being unfinished, your only goal is to survive and to make a big score ;)
I think the controls are obvious : press button 1 to punch/kick, button 2 to jump.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:42 am
Pretty (if a bit confusing) graphics.
Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:44 am
Hi everybody.

So this is the real titlescreen (made ±1 month ago), but with the lack of time Vingazole didn't add it to our compo.

And some screenshots from the 2nd zone.
-

PS. There is a secret passage in the 1st zone ;)

The game is a mix between Tomb Raider and Rick Dangerous.
titles12.png (4.05 KB)
titles12.png
captur52.png (32 KB)
captur52.png
captur53.png (28.68 KB)
captur53.png

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:22 am
Hi ichigobankai,

Are those genuine own made graphics? They are awesome!

How do you make the levels? I could not find any real structure in the tileset I saw in VRAM. They seemed very random to me.

The only remark I have is that all graphics (foreground/background/enemies/player) tend to blend together.

I really hope you guys continue working on this!
Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:51 am
Is she the wife of Rick Dangerous :P ?

I wish this scrolled and had music, this is absolutely wonderful !
Very pretty graphics too :D
Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:09 am
Thanks Zipper, yes i've drawn all the graphics from stretch.

Everything was made on Photoshop, tiles and tilemaps were generated by BMP2tiles. I've also made a little soft to extract each screen's tilemap from the original big tilemap.

This is the 2nd zone of the game :

If I've had more time, one of my ideas was to change the lighting on the sprites depending of the direction...

...maybe later ^^

Some tiny animation not included due to the lack of time.

Torch (zone2)

Saw (zone2)

for the "blending", I don't like sprites surrounded by black !
I really prefer smooth borders

PS. Your game is very impressive !
captur54.png (1.69 KB)
captur54.png
torche10.gif (2.35 KB)
torche10.gif
scieci10.gif (845 B)
scieci10.gif
zone_210.png (99.47 KB)
zone_210.png

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:30 am
Thanks for the explanation on the level design.

I always tend to write full editors for my level designing. Probably because I like coding over level design. Making those tools it just postpones the designing ;)

Here is my level editor:
editor.png (38.58 KB)
Editor
editor.png

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:12 am
I've attached all those off-site images - please use attachments for our future benefit. And don't inline huge images :)

BMP2Tile was never intended for use with large levels, a proper level editor with metatiles is really necessary for extended development. The problem is, nobody seems to have made a generic one yet...
Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:35 am
This is pretty well done and very fun. However VERY frustrating. The jump height isn't enough for most of the traps. So i had to navigate my way around the level avoiding trying to jump over, well, anything.

Other than that, this feels pretty awesome.
Great, great job.

Finish this, please ? :)
Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:12 pm
Thanks ;)
The jumps are not frustrating but a little bit difficult to masterize.

@Maxim, ok sorry !
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:50 pm
I have mixed feelings about this entry I'm gonna try to explain it :)

Pros:

- It looks very polished and very professional (those new screen-shots you posted are incredible), huge kudos for that.

- I like the idea that your traversal of the level is dangerous and you need to find the right path to make the right jump. It would be nice to make it clearer what is the safe height, maybe through level design maybe through some visual hints.

Cons:

- The control could be polished to be more reactive and forgiving. For instance it is something difficult to catch a ladder. Maybe adding some momentum into the player physics would make the whole game feels smoother as well?

- I feel the gameplay is missing a je-ne-sais-quoi, Exploration is lacking a sense of rhythm and variation, what I learned in Japan design as Merihari - change of pace seems to be a reasonable way to describe this. It reminds me of late European games on the Master System which often had this problem of having huge levels but gameplay *feels* repetitive. It would be nice to have clearer variations of layout and visuals within a stage to recognize your own progression. Maybe a way to state this is to try to make it that room have different personality. If you look at Montezuma's Revenge layout for example (and note it is a very old game, not the best example really) there's 4-5 recognizable types of room layout within a stage. It gives a sense of chunkyness and flavour to the places you traverse. One way to arrive to that is to give yourself the challenge to give a name to every room (not shown to the player, just for you). If you can reasonably name them it means they are exhibiting a certain flavour ("Fire Room 1", "Trampoline Tunnel"), if you can't try to re-arrange the rooms content to arrive to that. Just a suggestion! Let me know if it make any sense :)

Hope this doesn't feel too patronizing! The quality of this entry is very high I'm just trying to spot how this could be turned into a better game in my own opinion, because there is the technical framework and visual for something really really good here.
Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:32 am
The artwork is simply incredible. It looks like a PC-Engine or Genesis game. And the use of high priority tiles is very well done, I really liked seeing that feature used.

After playing the game for a while, I found the waterfall color cycling to be too similar to flashing and it was a tad uncomfortable. I wonder if replacing it with an animated tile or a different pattern that didn't use color cycling would be less jarring.

I like how you restart at the same screen you died in, because I died a _lot_. Part of this is because the jumps must be nearly perfectly timed. Having a variable height jump where you go higher based on how long you hold the button down would help a lot in that situation, and make the game more forgiving. Or at least have Up+Jump enable a 'high jump' if that is easier to code. :) I think also making the rise and fall rate slightly slower would help; you can control your jumps but you fall quickly enough that there isn't much of a point to controlling the descent.

Because you die frequently and there aren't many lives, it made me reluctant to take risks while exploring. It took a while to risk jumping down the pit to the 1-up room for that reason. Maybe you could bump up the number of lives significantly, or change it into a life meter per life and the meter goes down each time you 'die'. Then the player would have more incentive to take risks.

I really hope development continues on this game. It's amazing already, and it tons of potential. Really one of the best things I've ever seen on the SMS, and it doesn't have that "Oh, it's a homebrew game" feeling.

Is there an invincibility cheat? :D I want to play more of it but I don't have the skills to get very far.
Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:17 am
Many thanks for all these encouragement !

As Vingazole said, our game is far from completion ^^

A little video to explain how to reach the 2nd part of the level !

Note. Slugs are (nearly) impossible to kill..
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:54 am
You certainly know how to play this game :)
2nd zone looks more elaborate.
Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:37 am
Another tiny video, to explain how to catch the ladders ;)

• 1 : Jump (no direction, only JUMP !)
• 2 : choose direction
• 3 : arrow UP to catch the ladder
Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:56 am
This game looks amazing. If I didn't know it was for the SMS, my first guess would have been that it's an Amiga 500 or Atari ST game. You have done such a good job with the graphics. Although:

Charles MacDonald wrote
After playing the game for a while, I found the waterfall color cycling to be too similar to flashing and it was a tad uncomfortable.

This.

As for game-play: I'm not really a huge fan of this sort of game -- especially not ones where the jumping is so precise -- although I can see the appeal. I do not dislike it, I'm just not patient enough to spend the time judging the jumps and such, so end up dying quite a lot - but it's always my own fault, so I don't hate the game for it (although it is still frustrating). I'm definitely going to give it some more play-time before casting my vote.

To sum up: once there is sound and music added, I can see this being a such a good game (and very popular, if it was released back in the SMS' glory days). Great work, guys.
Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:39 am
I played this on my SMS2 and unfortunately enemies are mostly garbage, problem is worse in 60Hz...
I would disable rendering before VRAM transfers and enable when done, you'd have some blank lines on top of screen but no garbage.
GarbageProblem.jpg (72.51 KB)
Transfers outside VBL
GarbageProblem.jpg

Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:12 am
TmEE wrote
I played this on my SMS2 and unfortunately enemies are mostly garbage, problem is worse in 60Hz....

I've just tried it on my SMS Mk I and confirm that I get the same issue. It gets worse as there are greater numbers of enemies/collectables on the screen at once. When running at 60 Hz, it sometimes affects the player, too.

There's also a bit of a graphical glitch when you transition from the jungle area to the indoors area - but that happens Meka, too. I assume it's due to it loading a new set of tiles, but haven't investigated.

I have to admit that I enjoyed this game a lot more when playing on a real SMS with a joystick than I did when using a keyboard and emulator. I'm liking it a lot more. [s]Although I still can't get past a certain slug/caterpillar thing on screen three of the indoors bit.[/s] Nevermind. Now I can't get past the spider!

Okay... I can see myself playing a lot more of this. :)
Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:27 pm
I played this on my SMS2 and unfortunately enemies are mostly garbage, problem is worse in 60Hz....

Same thing on my PAL SMS1.

Other than that the game looks great. One of the few things that bothered me was how enemies just vanish when you kill them. Maybe they could fall off the screen? (or fall down on the ground, but that would require extra animation frames to be drawn).

I hope you can find someone to compose music for this game that is as good as the graphics.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:15 am
the enemies will "explode" like in black belt.

Vingazole have already done this "effect", but he have a problem on 2 snakes (and he don't know why) so he decided to desactivate this feature for the moment.
Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:40 am
This looks incredible. Good work.
Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:28 pm
great job guys! congratulations ^^
Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:15 am
By far, the best of all nominees! Congrats for your excellent job! I'm really looking forward for more improvements...
Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:46 am
Thanks guys ;)
Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:49 pm
A little update (it works better on the real hardware now - at least with my SMS2 @50Hz - though I still get strange sprites over the screen when an enemy is hit... I will investigate later^^). I changed the physics a bit to make it easier to play but I really must improve the controls (ladders are very difficult with a real gamepad).

[Admin: added to first post]
Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:48 pm
A tiny video to show the "exploding enemies" function;)
it also includes the "real" titlescreen.

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:20 pm
This is definitely on the way to being a professional-quality homebrew game. Graphically it's very good, although I have the standard waterfall brightness complaint. (The SMS palette has a surfeit of blue/green colours, you should pick some closer together). The sprites are strangely lacking in animation - some more frames would make it feel a lot more fluid. They also lack cohesion between limbs and scenery, particularly when climbing - I think that's a matter of having more frames and making things appear in the right places. We should be able to have fluid animation, we have no ROM size restrictions to worry about. (So you can also have death animations - the Black Belt explosion looks kind of weird to me.)

The gameplay itself is quite frustrating, due to the instant deaths; an energy bar might be better, but hard to see how you'd deal with the inescapable parts of the scenery. Perhaps some extra life pickups? Come to mention it, what are all the pickups? Just points? The controls are pretty good, although the small jump height makes it strangely difficult. The ladder climbing should be more forgiving, though.

Obviously the sound isn't there yet; I hope you are being contacted by people who can help there. I occasionally get contacted by people offering to help with music, maybe I can link you up if needed.
Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:42 pm
I've started to make some changes to my gfx.
The "waterfalls", completely redrawn (before 12 "filled" tiles, now : 4 tiles (filled), 4 tiles (semi transparent effect), 1 tile for water+earth (for the moment, maybe 4 at the end).

I've changed some colors of the background (grey now) + put some black "borders" on the girl.

(200%)

(you can see the girl behind the water in the bottom right)
Zone1TestPalWaterfalls_V2.gif (37.86 KB)
Animated waterfall effect
Zone1TestPalWaterfalls_V2.gif
Zone1TestPalWaterfalls_V2_1.png (8.48 KB)
New colors
Zone1TestPalWaterfalls_V2_1.png

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:00 pm
The new waterfall is pretty nice ^^
The grey makes the BG stand out a bit more, which might not be a good thing all times.
Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:41 pm
It's already a lot better, but it still is a bit flashy.

Is there a reason you are using a color cycle instead of an animation?

Balancing the load, for animation of transparent and filled tiles, over even/odd ISR frames should not be a real problem and would be fast enough to imply the movement. It would make these gfx even more outrageous!

Good to see u are still working on this project.
Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:51 am
Yes, we still working on it, with Vingazole, we've decided to make a whole game many weeks ago.

For the animations/tiles, Vingazole gave me some "restrictions" for each zone. Only 128 tiles and 1 palette. I already use nearly all available tiles (zone1 : 127/128 and zone2 : 128/128).
Post Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:02 pm
Has there been any progress on this ? ^^
Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:13 am
Yes. Huge brainstorming for the moment ;)
Post Posted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:19 pm
New stages and enemies :D ?
Post Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:46 pm
yes and many other things ;)
Post Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:36 pm
ichigobankai wrote
+ put some black "borders" on the girl.

but why ? It looked great the way it was before. I have not seen it in action, but to me black borders look unprofessional. I am not sure if there are any good games with black borders around the sprites ? Someone got an example of a good game with black borders around character sprites ?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:07 pm
Christuserloeser wrote
ichigobankai wrote
+ put some black "borders" on the girl.

but why ? It looked great the way it was before. I have not seen it in action, but to me black borders look unprofessional. I am not sure if there are any good games with black borders around the sprites ? Someone got an example of a good game with black borders around character sprites ?

http://www.smspower.org/Sprites/AlexKiddInMiracleWorld-SMS
http://www.smspower.org/Sprites/CloudMaster-SMS
http://www.smspower.org/Sprites/FantasyZone-SMS
http://www.smspower.org/Sprites/FantasyZoneII-SMS
http://www.smspower.org/Sprites/KungFuKid-SMS
http://www.smspower.org/Maps/PhantasyStar-SMS
http://www.smspower.org/Sprites/PsychoFox-SMS
http://www.smspower.org/Sprites/WonderBoyInMonsterLand-SMS

I think a lot of games employ some form of darkened or high constrated outline to make objects readable on the background.
IHMO Lost Raider looks better and more readable with it.
Post Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:34 pm
hm, I guess I have to admit that there might be one or two good games with black borders around their sprites then O_O
Post Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:36 pm
Any new screens?
Post Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:27 pm
Not for the moment but many thanks for your interest ;)
(I have slightly modified some tiny things)

I must finish a huge repro before continuing (Phantasy Star translation in french, with 2 booklets, a map and a packaging); fortunately, I've nearly finish !
Post Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:21 pm
Is this great project still being developed?
Showed this entry to some of my friends this weekend. They were impressed.
Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:29 am
Yes. But for the moment my partner (vingazole) is in "convalescence"... He had a huge accident few month ago (in june), he can walk just since 3 weeks.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:26 am
Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope he recovers soon.
Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:13 am
All the best for him !
Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:23 pm
All the best.
Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:15 pm
Has there been any more developments on this project? It was looking so promising!
Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:43 am
Yes, we still are working on this project !

We are trying to improve what we already done, taking in account the good advices we received, therefore the first level is not even finished...
Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:18 pm
Nice to hear that Vingazole! I hope you recovered well mate.
The game looks really good. If you and Ichigo are finishing it one day, then it will be a very good supplement to the SMS homebrew scene =)

Don´t forget to build in an easter egg, like an Opa-Opa scarified in a stone wall or something^^
Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:27 pm
Are there any plans to release this on a physical format?
(like digger chan for example) I've seen you make amazing repro's and artwork. So it would be a shame if we wouldn't be be able to put it on our game shelves :)
Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:50 pm
Yes, a physical release is in the works :)

But, as they say, we must not count the eggs in the chicken's bum, as the game is still far from being finished ;) (I hope everyone will understand that litteraly-translated french proverb !)
Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2  Next

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!