• Site Admin
[Coding competition 2012] Derpy's Mail by aypok
Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:25 am
Last edited by Maxim on Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
http://www.smspower.org/Homebrew/DerpysMail-SMS

aypok wrote
INTRO:
------
"Derpy's Mail" - Aypok's entry to SMS Power's 2012 coding competition. Code by Aypok (smspower@aypok.co.uk); Derpy image originally by "RJP" and Gilda originally by "bot-chan" (see: http://www.desktopponies.com/1_8_Art-Credits.html ). Images used, resized and recoloured without permission. >_>

This is a very basic "game" with no real ending - it just gets harder and harder until you lose all you lives or it loops around and goes back to the starting difficulty.

PLOT/HOW TO PLAY:
-----------------
You're Derpy Hooves, mail mare. Spike's ill, so Twilight Sparkle has asked you to fly her letters to Princess Celestia. But Gilda is harassing you! Fly around and press button two to drop an anvil on her. It'll make her much more angry, which is probably not all that good of a plan, to be honest.

Avoid getting hit by Gilda - she'll steal one of Twilight Sparkle's letters. If you lose all three, you have to return to Ponyville.

WHY:
----
This was made in under six hours - starting six hours before the deadline. I'm currently writing this readme file with five minutes to go... I originally planned to spend the last two weekends on this, adding a scrolling background, muffin pick-ups, a display to show the score and multiple enemies - along with a proper end game. Maybe later.

THINGS TO KNOW:
---------------
Yeah, it sucks. I don't care. IT TOOK FEWER THAN SIX HOURS, including nearly an hour of messing around with the images. :D Anyway. When you lose all three lives, the game will lock up. That's a feature because I didn't have time to add a proper "game over" thing.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:12 am
Respect for making an entry just six hours before the deadline.
Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:16 am
Doing it in 6 hours is indeed very impressive
Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:42 am
For under six hours, mighty impressive.

Also, way to too hard for my lack of gaming skills. hehe.
Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:00 am
This gets my vote for ponies. :)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:45 pm
It's not bad for a six-hour effort, depending of course on the state of your base project :) However, for me the Brony thing is mildy disturbing. Given the timeframe, I'd have gone for something a bit more demo-like, to act as filler (text scroller/pictures/etc), but then my stuff is always more filler than content :)
Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:44 am
Maxim wrote
It's not bad for a six-hour effort, depending of course on the state of your base project :)

A very fair point. Although the game was not based on any existing game-logic/engine, the project wasn't written entirely from scratch. The code for copying tiles/palette to VRAM is from Maxim's tutorial circa 2005, as is the code to initialise the display; there's some interrupt-handling code I used from Digger Chan (about thirty lines) and I used about twenty lines of code from last year's entry to copy sprites to VRAM.

In short: most of the code which handles dealing with the display was not written specifically for this. That wasn't due to time constraints, it was simply because there was no need to re-write it - I'd only get something which does the same (or something worse). That code is tried and tested, so it seemed like a waste of effort.

Also: as mentioned in the updated readme file (see the archive at the top of the page), it actually took 7.5 hours in total. The initial entry took six hours, but I spent an extra 1.5 hours on adding a "HUD", game-over state and sound effect.

Maxim wrote
However, for me the Brony thing is mildy disturbing.

I hear that a lot. :)

Maxim wrote
Given the timeframe, I'd have gone for something a bit more demo-like, to act as filler (text scroller/pictures/etc)

I had considered that, but I wanted to do something more interactive.
I love My Little Pony
Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:04 am
I love that demo, and my favorite character is Twilight Sparkle
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!