Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - "Super Tennis" Cover

Reply to topic
"Super Tennis" Cover
Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:31 pm
Warning - eons-long backstory incoming. Feel free to skip.

Long time ago I went to a second hand shop close to the bus stop I'm taking the bus back home and looked at the games showcased in the window. The majority of space was taken in by PS2 games I didn't have any desire buying, but a sneaky look to the top-right corner of the window made my heart skip a beat: There were SMS games on sale!

So, a day later, armed with a decent amount of cash, I went in after studying what games they actually had for sale for that particular console. My heart was racing when I ordered Enduro Racer. I was mildly surprised by the low cost of 2€, but at the moment in which I was leaving the store with that game in my hands, I felt like the most delighted person alive.

Given that I neither had a Master System nor a Master System Converter (yet), I couldn't do more with the box than frequently take it out from under the bedside table (I wasn't sure if my father would take it well that I bought a game for a console I didn't even own, so I stashed it under there to keep it hidden from his sight) and look it over before putting it back to where I got it from. The fact that I didn't own anything I could play it on didn't deter me from going back to that store a few days later and buying World Grand Prix. I think I should point out that none of the SMS games they had on sale were really that much of gems. There were five games total and the other two I didn't buy were another GP game and a soccer game. No thanks.

After buying World Grand Prix I managed to convince my mother to order a Master System Converter, which cost me about 30€. After that purchase I went back to the store one last time to buy a game that really caught my eye: Super Tennis. The reason for it is the reason for this very post. After some haggling with a different clerk (he told me it cost 5€ even though the one before him said that all SMS games cost 2€, so I guess my haggling was justified), the third and final of the games that were worth it was in my hands.

OK, you can start reading properly again. The backstory stuff's over with.

Now, this cover is weird. Not only is it in grayscale as opposed to colour, it also says "The Sega Card" on it, despite the width of the box being that of a cartridge game. As it turned out upon opening the box it was a cartridge. The first thing I did was print myself another cover that went along with everything else. I must admit I bought the game months ago, but I always meant to share its strange cover here. So finally - here you go.
IMG.jpg (158.02 KB)
IMG.jpg

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:44 am
Looks like someone made a photocopy of their Super Tennis card to go with their CART version.
Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:40 am
That might be it, but as I said, the cover is large enough to fit over the entire cart-sized box. I know that boxes containing cards are smaller, so if it were a 1:1 photocopy of that, it wouldn't fit quite around the box, which it does. Though, admittedly, part of the hand holding the card on the front cover can be seen on the spine, so perhaps it was photoshopped or something in order to increase the length by adding a bit more grid.

I guess one thing's for certain now: It wasn't worth it opening a topic for a mere photocopy. It can be locked...
Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:14 pm
I liked the history part of the post.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!