SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - WonderBoy3 Sound ripping

Reply to topic
WonderBoy3 Sound ripping
Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:01 am
Heyos, um, sorry if this is in the wrong section XP

So, for ages now I've been wanting to get the sound files from Wonder Boy 3 Dragon's Trap, but I'm not paticularly hack-savvy. In fact, I'm pretty lost.
I came across a thread earlier today on another site which is a little helpful, but unfortunatly the video link explaining where these fields are located has been removed.

What I'd like to be able to do is hack the background music in-game to either nothing, or if that's not possible, the treasure room music, since that has a number of "breaks" where sound can get through, upon which I can run around and log a sound file cataloguing all the different sound effects.

So, if someone could help me out with which addresses the music (and sound too, if that's how it works?) uses so I can change it, that would be very awesome.
And, I don't want to beg, but on the off-chance that someone already has all the sound effects ripped without background music, it'd be super-appreciated if I could get a copy of those.

Any help or info is appreciated!
Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:28 am
This may interest you:
http://www.geocities.jp/monsterworld2/Wonderboy_Land.htm

I think the Japanese name of "Wonder Boy III The Dragon's Trap" is "Monster World II".
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:05 am
This is in fact almost ancient history - so much so that we no longer have the page about it. You can read it here, though:

http://web.archive.org/web/20081220121215/http://www.smspower.org/music/tools/in...

Short version:

Change the byte at $BA80 (or $BCA6, not sure which) to change the ending music to the music or SFX of your choice. With a little effort, we could make a more modern hack to make it easier for you, though.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:39 am
If you use the PAR code 00CFF9xx and go a place where the game changes music it will play you're selected music.

In meka.pat:
MEM[CFF9] = 03

For example you can save the game state before opening a door that leads underground in the town (the music change at this point).
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:45 am
(I was thinking it should be easy (with current tools) to change the menu selection SFX and point out the ROM address to modify in Meka, so it can be messed with live without needing savestates or ROM reloads...)
Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:46 pm
Last edited by DarkQuill on Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Okay, the quick meka.pat hack Bock suggested works pretty well - if I start a new game, I'm in the Meka Dragon castle with no music whatsoever.
After that though, the game keeps trying to force the Meka castle music almost everywhere. So, I can change that 03 value to one of the listed sound effect values, and after mucking about with the transformation room in town, I can get the sound effect to play every time I exit, right after the sound of the door opening/closing finishes, with no background music at all.
There's probably a faster or improved way to do this, but I'm satisfied regardless :p

However, Meka in general is putting out really scratchy/jutty sound/music - am I using a wrong version or not have some options set correctly? I'm using v0.73 for Winx86 (on a x64 system). And changing the system and TV region settings to PAL is still giving 60hz gameplay, rather than the 50hz my actual Master System runs at. I think I'm still doing something wrong..

Also, thanks to whoever sorted the URL in my original post~
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:55 pm
You need to change both the system region and the emulated speed. Meka is known for its bad sound :) It has WAV logging, which may be OK, else you can record to VGM and render to WAV using Winamp or VGMPlay, etc.
Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:00 pm
Oh, dedicated buttons. Derp derp.
Okay, that's better. The quality is much improved, and I can simply do a few takes of each sound, pick the "best" one, and then clean it up a little via audio editing.

Many thanks :D
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!