Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - SMS Power! site redesign

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
SMS Power! site redesign
Post Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:19 pm
Last edited by Maxim on Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Hello everyone. After about 10 years of procrastination, followed by 3 months of work in our free time, we have finally got something to show you.

http://wip2.smspower.org

So far, we have created entries for almost every SMS game and a few for other systems.

Game data is of course incomplete. Here are some examples where we have made some effort to fill in more of the information:

http://wip2.smspower.org/Games/AlexKiddInMiracleWorld-SMS
http://wip2.smspower.org/Games/Alien3-SMS

By following links you can find yourself with scans, VGMs, cheats, development information, and more. But here's the fun part:

You can contribute to the site.

The whole site is built on a wiki platform. That doesn't mean it is Wikipedia, it just means we can easily let trusted people work on the site, and we can all work on it together using just a web browser. Look forward to more discussion of this in this forum in the future. If you have questions, please post here in the Website forum and we can make this a great resource for Sega 8-bit fanatics.
frontpage.jpg (30.7 KB)
Front page
frontpage.jpg
gamespage.jpg (38.87 KB)
Games index
gamespage.jpg

Post Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:31 pm
Fantastic work. It's great to see everything linking together so nicely, and the wiki-based nature should help in collecting information (as it has with the current development wiki).

Are there any plans to expose the game database to external applications (such as emulators?)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:35 pm
benryves wrote
Are there any plans to expose the game database to external applications (such as emulators?)

Yes, that is entirely possible and planned.
Finally!
Post Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:26 am
Looks great! Specially the index.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:37 am
I must give hugs and kudos to Maxim for his extraordinary work on settuping the new site and making it possible. I am very happy this is happening.

The idea is that is a beginning: there's heaps of stuff we can and we'd like to do with the site. It should be informational, educational, entertaining, emotional. It's up to us as a community to organize ourselves into making this grow. There's many branches and things to do, they will be tacked one by one or in parallel. The dynamic nature of Wiki allow us to try things, make mistakes sometimes and re-adjust, the point is to lower the entry barrier to contributing.

I'd like to state that some things may still currently look a bit bland due to a lack of content. But by all means, we have the knowledge and obsession to elevate this website to a polished shrine of all Sega 8-bit things.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:23 pm
I've made the first step to switching to the new site by removing it from the wip2 subdomain. Old URLs will redirect automagically.
Post Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:44 am
Nice work, this should help move content out from hidden threads and into mainsite.

I'm curious, what wiki platform are you using and how are you finding it for frontend stuff?

I've been weighing up whether to move my CMS to a wiki for a while now.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:13 am
We're using PmWiki which has generally been easy to work with and is quite lightweight - doesn't need PHP5 or a DB, is very easy to extend and theme, and upgrades are just unzips. My site is based on the same core but trying to be a bit more CMSy.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:57 pm
The Cheats section has now been replaced with the new site. Old URLs redirect to a search page (since there isn't necessarily a 1:1 match).
Post Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:34 am
Notice you have officially switched over now, amazing work. Sections of the site tie in so nicely now it would be hard not to want to contribute :)
Post Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:21 am
I noticed at work on a machine with IE7 installed that the front page looks rather bad. The box with the sprite and links menu is the full width of the page (instead of a column on the right) and the rest gets pushed down. Sorry I didn't get a screenshot, and also sorry if we don't give a stuff about supporting old browers.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:22 am
I don't tend to check on IE very often... it makes hr elements expand to the maximum possible width, including expanding their parent element's width. I've rejigged it to put everything inside a fixed-width table (yuck).

We support IE6 for idiots and people at work. At least I don't have to check in Netscape any more...
Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:01 am
/me casts ressurect.. *it is highly effective* :)

Rather than start a new thread I'm re-visiting this one becuase I don't think I ever got around to asking properly.

I'm assuming the Home/News page is part of pmwiki, did it have this kind of funtionality out of the box or did you have to modify it?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:35 am
Hmm, a new thread wouldn't have been that bad...

PmWiki lets you change the default group and you can configure it to hide the group name when it's the default. For getting the news on there, I wrote a custom recipe. Protip: on any PmWiki site (that hasn't been explicitly configured not to let you do it), you can add ?action=source to the URL to see the wikicode.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!