Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - question regarding the enduro racer soundtrack

Reply to topic
question regarding the enduro racer soundtrack
Post Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:06 pm
I've noticed that the racing sound effect is essentially built into the 2nd square channel of both BGM themes. Is that how the music was actually composed? I'm under the impression it's not, because from watching gameplay videos it looks like that pitch changes depending on your speed. Since SFX can make their way into VGMs, I was wondering if this was an artifact from having 'no other way' to access the music in-game... like what we hear in the VGM is the bike running at its slowest speed. Or am I mistaken on that?

The reason I'm asking is because I wanted to sample the soundtrack and I planned on disabling the 2nd square on both tracks to get the music by itself. Although since most games have SFX that temporarily cut into the music, I'm wondering if there's any hidden music that's lost beneath the endless wall of SFX. If the developers/ composer planned well that won't be the case, but I can't help but wonder if there's missing harmonies or anything like that.

If someone knows more about the audio in this game, or knows how to find out by tinkering with the ROM, please let us know. Thanks! :)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:03 pm
I think I added the pack without listening to it :( but I do remember previously marking it as bad for including the bike engine. There's a strong chance that there's some actual music being overridden by that, all we need to do is some hacking work.

Alternatively, if it's built into the engine somehow, then it should be removed from the VGMs.

Try looking for a music engine trigger, it may be easy to get it to play the BGMs at will.
Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:04 pm
The trigger is at $d000. Writing a value (e.g. $81) to this address seems to show that the engine noise is part of the music - I guess there is some interaction between the game code and the music engine to change the pitch.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:22 pm
I stripped the engine sounds out of the pack and re-uploaded it:

http://www.smspower.org/Music/EnduroRacer-SMS
Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:23 pm
Ah, thanks for the help Paul and Maxim. :)
Sad there's no hidden music, but it's good to know that for sure.

Here's a zip of the tracks ripped as MP3s-
http://tinyurl.com/3tdjysh

And all the tracks on youtube as well-
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=9C299D5C77925AF5
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!