SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - 3D glasses

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
3D glasses
Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2002 5:59 pm
I finally get around to mentioning this, some 6 weeks after intending to, but...

I managed to get hold of some red/blue 3D glasses (if you're in the UK, look suspiciously at Virgin Mobile brochures in Virgin shops and grab one with the glasses still on, if they are still around), and tried them with Dega. After a few minutes of eye-crossing I managed to get the best effect I could, which was...

...seeing everything, except what I angled my eyes to see, in double. Yes, I can position my eyes parallel and the horizon is there, and I move them towards the middle and the car is there (Out Run 3D, you might have guessed), but that just means whatever I'm not looking at is double and much harder to see. There's no real 3D effect at all.

I don't know if I'm unusual in wanting to see a lot of the screen at once, it seems some people focus on a very small area (I tell people to watch the next block preview in Tetris and they say they're too busy watching the current one), but it was a disappointment really. As I understand it, it should be the same effect with the real (shutter) glasses, only in colour. Am I right? Can someone with the real glasses confirm how bad it is?

Maxim
  • Site Admin
Congratulation with being on-topic, Maxim :-)
Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:29 pm
> I don't know if I'm unusual in wanting to see a lot of the screen at once, it seems some people focus on a very small area (I tell people to watch the next block preview in Tetris and they say they're too busy watching the current one), but it was a disappointment really. As I understand it, it should be the same effect with the real (shutter) glasses, only in colour. Am I right? Can someone with the real glasses confirm how bad it is?

I think it is pretty good with glasses, expect that it ruins your eyes pretty quickly.
Red/blue glasses aren't very good when there's more than the red/blue colors used in the glasses. Since the colors on screen never fully matches with the ones on glasses, you get to see things twices. Beside, I don't know how Dega performs with the 3-D rendition (I'll give it a try).
But yes, Sega 3-D Glasses must be better, at least. Even if not perfect.
  • Site Admin
Whoops! :D wrong forum (they all look the same at the bottom) *nt*
Post Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2002 10:42 am
> > I don't know if I'm unusual in wanting to see a lot of the screen at once, it seems some people focus on a very small area (I tell people to watch the next block preview in Tetris and they say they're too busy watching the current one), but it was a disappointment really. As I understand it, it should be the same effect with the real (shutter) glasses, only in colour. Am I right? Can someone with the real glasses confirm how bad it is?

> I think it is pretty good with glasses, expect that it ruins your eyes pretty quickly.
> Red/blue glasses aren't very good when there's more than the red/blue colors used in the glasses. Since the colors on screen never fully matches with the ones on glasses, you get to see things twices. Beside, I don't know how Dega performs with the 3-D rendition (I'll give it a try).
> But yes, Sega 3-D Glasses must be better, at least. Even if not perfect.
Medion
Re: Whoops! :D wrong forum (they all look the same at the bottom) *nt*
Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2002 1:02 am
anyone know how much the REAL things cost on ebay right now?

• Site Admin
Answering, but it's offtopic
Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2002 5:21 am
> anyone know how much the REAL things cost on ebay right now?

Depends. Price on eBay are quite randomized, you know.
Unboxed glasses may sell for around $30, boxed ones between $50 and $100, maybe more.
That is for a single auction with glasses only. I've seen many times packages with several things going for very cheap (like $100 for a boxed pair, a system and plenty of games).
Re: Answering, but it's offtopic
Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2002 5:15 pm
> > anyone know how much the REAL things cost on ebay right now?

> Depends. Price on eBay are quite randomized, you know.
> Unboxed glasses may sell for around $30, boxed ones between $50 and $100, maybe more.

I got a bunch of stuff (rapid fire unit, power base converter) from this guy from ebay and he offered me some (unboxed with an arm missing) 3d glasses with it for $35 bucks australian. i was hesitant coz out of ebay things can be shifty but i got them and bloody hell i played the hell out of out run 3d and space harrier 3d for a few weeks after that. i kinda wish i was good at space harrier games. and i find that on an old tv with no pal/ntsc modes the 3d effect's dodgy, but on a newer tv in ntsc mode the experience is much better. guess that didnt answer the ebay question... by the way, anyone have a spare copy of missile defense 3d they dont need? i need a gun game to replace my virtua cop 2 and assault city.

> That is for a single auction with glasses only. I've seen many times packages with several things going for very cheap (like $100 for a boxed pair, a system and plenty of games).

yeah, if i ever had enough money, it's usually the outcome postage cost that gets me, a reason why i've never entered auctions outside australia.

-MaRkiSH

(p.s. bloody hell mate)
  • Site Admin
Re: Answering, but it's offtopic
Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2002 10:33 pm
> I got a bunch of stuff (rapid fire unit, power base converter) from this guy from ebay and he offered me some (unboxed with an arm missing) 3d glasses with it for $35 bucks australian.

Good deal.

> i was hesitant coz out of ebay things can be shifty but i got them and bloody hell i played the hell out of out run 3d and space harrier 3d for a few weeks after that. i kinda wish i was good at space harrier games.

I played Space Harrier 3-D three days ago (using real 3-D Glasses, after maxim posted about them), and found that it was very difficult.

> by the way, anyone have a spare copy of missile defense 3d they dont need? i need a gun game to replace my virtua cop 2 and assault city.

I do have one. E-mail me privately :)
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!