Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Adventure Kid and Twin Mouse screen shots

Reply to topic
Adventure Kid and Twin Mouse screen shots
Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:48 pm
I managed to track down my long lost copy of 4 Pak All Action.

I thought I would give Adventure Kid a genuine play and post a few screen shots (AV to USB Video Capture). I have also posted a few Twin Mouse shots, as both of these games have not been dumped yet.

Adventure Kid

The game is a Wonder Boy clone, or perhaps more accurately an Adventure Island II clone. Originally developed on the MSX and running in SG-1000 mode, the game has terrible 8 pixel at a time scrolling, and most of the enemy sprites are drawn in 1 color + transparency for the outline color. This isn't unusual for an MSX game though.

To make things even worse, the buttons for jump and attack are around the wrong way, making the game virtually unplayable for those of us who are used to the normal button config.

As I was determined to give this game a decent go, I performed some surgery on an old controller and switched the buttons around. What I discovered is the controls are actually very good and as with Wonder Boy, holding down the attack button makes the character run faster (and jump further) which improves the scrolling slightly, since it is scrolling faster and as with Wonder Boy I generally just hold the attack button down permanently unless attacking.

The background graphics are actually quite good and the game offers a large amount of variety when it comes to level design and game play, including various dinosaur mounts that are found in Adventure Island II (similar to the skateboard) and various weapons. Different levels are either mainly horizontally scrolling or vertically scrolling, including underwater levels where you can swim.

At the end of every 2nd world there is a round boss and this was a real surprise. When you get to a boss, instead of the usual 1 hit kill, the health bar is set to full and acts like a health bar should, allowing for 5 or 6 hits before death. If you die and have lives left, then you get to fight the boss again immediately. There is no scrolling either when fighting a boss, and the boss sprites have proper coloring. Each boss is different and over all they add something special to the game.

In the instruction manual, it states that there are 7 worlds with 4 stages in each. However this turned out to be incorrect, as there are actually 8 worlds in total with 4 stages in each.

The instruction manual also states that a key can be found by attacking in the right place and gives bonus points. They are extremely difficult to find, to the point where I thought that they may not even exist, but eventually I found one (in world 2-2). To my surprise, the key doesn't give you bonus points, it actually warps you into a secret level, surely that would have been worth a mention in the instructions lol.

I managed to finish the game, and my conclusion is that it is truly epic! It's just a shame that a true Master System version wasn't done, to improve the horrible scrolling and sprite coloring. Regardless, this would have been a very good game on the MSX or SG-1000 and is most enjoyable if you are a Wonder Boy or Adventure Island fan.

At the end of the game the credits were listed:

ALL PROGRAMMED BY
LEE SANG HUN

GRAPHICS DESIGNED BY
LEE SANG HUN
SIM MI SOON

MUSIC
KWON DAE YONG

SPECIAL THANKS
YHLOVE
SEUNG AH
MOONSUNG

PRESENTED BY OPEN
wk1.png (21.33 KB)
wk1.png
wk2.png (58.96 KB)
wk2.png
wk3.png (57.69 KB)
wk3.png
wk4.png (66.09 KB)
wk4.png
wk5.png (48.15 KB)
wk5.png
wk6.png (24.13 KB)
wk6.png
wk7.png (63.16 KB)
wk7.png
wk8.png (70.84 KB)
wk8.png
twin1.png (20.78 KB)
twin1.png
twin2.png (65.2 KB)
twin2.png
twin3.png (48.39 KB)
twin3.png
twin4.png (57.96 KB)
twin4.png

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:15 am
Awesome! Good work.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:51 pm
I added the credits to the site, thanks! Did you get any screengrabs of the credits?
Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:07 pm
Last edited by Logbomber on Thu May 05, 2011 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
derboo wrote
Awesome! Good work.

Thanks derboo and it is great to see them up on your History of Korean Gaming article :)

Just a note, there is no auto scrolling in the game, and you are able to move/scroll freely left, right, up or down. Some levels you are basically going horizontally from left to right, but in some levels you have to go vertically from the bottom to the top of the level (or even from the top to the bottom in some levels). Sorry if there was any confusion about that ;)

Maxim wrote
Did you get any screengrabs of the credits?

I did but they are a bit boring. Just white text on a black background and it fades between each section of the credits.

I have added the title screen from Cave Dude (Toto World 3) and Power Block (Suho Jeonsa), along with the english story screens from Power Block, since only the Korean versions of those games have been dumped.

_
Image8.png (23.87 KB)
Image8.png
Image9.png (72.07 KB)
Image9.png
Image10.png (71.37 KB)
Image10.png
Image11.png (69.27 KB)
Image11.png
Image12.png (70.6 KB)
Image12.png
Image13.png (27.07 KB)
Image13.png

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:33 pm
Logbomber wrote
Just a note, there is no auto scrolling in the game, and you are able to move/scroll freely left, right, up or down. Some levels you are basically going horizontally from left to right, but in some levels you have to go vertically from the bottom to the top of the level (or even from the top to the bottom in some levels). Sorry if there was any confusion about that ;)

Alright, fixed.

Wow, the Cave Dude title screen looks really bad. ;)
Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:00 pm
derboo wrote
Wow, the Cave Dude title screen looks really bad. ;)

Yeah, it is not that good lol, probably just a quick hack.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!