This poll has expired.
  • Site Admin
[Music competition 2011] happy sms tune by vingazole
Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:40 am
happy sms tune

vingazole wrote
HAPPY SMS TUNE
============== by vingazole

This is my entry for the SMS Music Competition 2011.

The mp3 file plays the PSGMOD module twice,
then fades out on the beggining of the next loop.

Original VGM.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:53 am
I like this one, nice and happy ^^
Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:16 am
Fairly nice entry, good smooth flow. Lacks dynamic range through and with a few accents on notes and stuff it could be another level of music :) Well done!
Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:30 am
HW usage: 4
Lyricality: 6 - just because it drills into my head doesn't mean I want it there
Flow: 5 - those drums are... not improving this score. No.
Scope: 5
---
Overall: 5

Side note- I do feel kinda bad about this score, since it's the lowest I gave. Still, do keep in mind that on the same scale, there are actual commercial game tracks that wouldn't do as well.

Criteria:
HW usage: Scoring for limited-channels chip synth is not like scoring for an ensemble. Knowing how to milk the capacity of the chip and use all the channels all the time (within creative intent) without one stepping on another is a science. Knowing how to make the chip sound like it has more channels than it does is an art.
Lyricality: The difference between that vintage console background theme that's stuck in your head 20 years later and the full orchestral next-gen PC soundscape that is amazing but which you can't quite remember 10 minutes later. Does the groove- the heart- the core of the piece stick in your head? Could you reduce it to a memorable sequence of single notes on a piano or square wave?
Flow: Is there variety, or is the track one constantly looped phrase that gets stale? Do sections with various flavors connect smoothly and feel like part of the same piece?
Scope: How much content is there, and for how long? Where does it sound like you were aiming when you made the track? A 30-second loop of cheap BGM, or a piece of performance art?
[Music competition 2011] happy sms tune by vingazole
Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:47 pm
LoneKiltedNinja wrote
HW usage: 4
Lyricality: 6 - just because it drills into my head doesn't mean I want it there
Flow: 5 - those drums are... not improving this score. No.
Scope: 5
---
Overall: 5

Side note- I do feel kinda bad about this score, since it's the lowest I gave. Still, do keep in mind that on the same scale, there are actual commercial game tracks that wouldn't do as well.

Haha you're right i hate these poor drums it's so loud and repetitive... but in fact i wrote the drums track in the mod2psg tracker with the copy & paste commands and i was too lazy to change it at the end ! Anyway i just wanted to write a simple 80's kind of song : that's why i used a very basic chord progression and bassline and a sing-able melody (i tried to listen to that tune looped and it quickly drives you mad).

[Sorry for my bad english but i'm tired and French] [and tired]
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:25 pm
I get the "32KB game" feel, which has a certain amount of appeal, but it has all the smoothness and delicacy of my "Butterfly" cover - and that's not a good thing. I think the tunes aren't done justice by the execution here. It'd be a great tune for a self-consciously archaic Videlectrix style game.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!