Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Champion Baseball (SC), Championship Hockey (GG), F1 - World Championship Edition (GG)

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
Champion Baseball (SC), Championship Hockey (GG), F1 - World Championship Edition (GG)
Post Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:24 am
Are you enough of a CHAMPION to handle our 4 releases today?

Let's start with Champion Baseball (チャンピオンベースボール) for the SG-1000. Released in 1983, it is the first Sega console attempt at doing baseball. Converted from the arcade game released on the same year, it features all the roughness you can expect from a 27 years old game but also cute melody of the time (composed by Yuji Koseki, as surprinsingly written on the back of the box in some of the game versions).

So we have 2 new dumps for this game.
- First is a version we labelled "[40k]" using a memory map spreading out over 40 kilobytes but only 16 kilobytes of real data. This version is commonly found on cartridges from the big boxed version. The version already available on the internet, now labelled "[16k]" comes from the Japanese release in a small box and with a picture label. The big boxed version came earlier.
- Secondly we have an Aaronix (阿羅士) version dump, from everyone's favorite obscure & elusive Taiwanese clone of the SG-1000 with odd colored and shaped cartridge. The dump is essentially the Japanese [16k] version with Sega copyright information masked out.

And for good measure, here's a sexy picture of one of the SG-1000 II clone released in Taiwan:

Now on to switch to our champion releases for the Game Gear! I was fortunate to borrow a bunch of rare GG cartridges from collector and community friend NonShinyGoose, and thanks to his help we're having no less than four yet undumped original games ready for release. His cartridge also helped confirm and classify some of the rarer dumps that I wasn't able to put my hand on as of yet. So today we have two rare games as provided by NonShinyGoose.

Championship Hockey for the Game Gear, late European release, uncommon to find and somehow botched in the making. This game was also released on the Master System so it makes it the less exciting release of the four, but it could be that the GG version plays better than the SMS one. Let's give it a second chance.

Cream of the rarities, F1 - World Championship Edition for the Game Gear has everything of a game to ignore when you would expect a rehash of the original F1 game. The curiosity is that unexpectedly it is a whole different game made by another development studio (but both published by Domark). What happened here? In bad publisher tradition to believe that teams are interchangeable, did they asked another studio to make a sequel? Was the original game source code lost or not accessible to Domark due to some legal mess? Or was the game a completely different project, hastly rebranded to look like a sequel?

In any case it is an interesting game to play. Its not great but it has some amount of polish and even a 2-player link mode that the other F1 game doesn't have. It is based on Amiga and Megadrive games of the same name, so the GG is probably the black sheep of the serie here. The rendering engine has this European characteristic of aiming a tad too high in what it is trying to display, with buildings and overpasses adding a nice touch to it.
  • Site Admin
Temporary Transitional Attachment Fairy
Post Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:27 am
This message will auto destruct itself someday.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:52 pm
Bock wrote

Cream of the rarities, F1 - World Championship Edition for the Game Gear has everything of a game to ignore when you would expect a rehash of the original F1 game. The curiosity is that unexpectedly it is a whole different game made by another development studio (but both published by Domark). What happened here? In bad publisher tradition to believe that teams are interchangeable, did they asked another studio to make a sequel? Was the original game source code lost or not accessible to Domark due to some legal mess? Or was the game a completely different project, hastly rebranded to look like a sequel?

In any case it is an interesting game to play. Its not great but it has some amount of polish and even a 2-player link mode that the other F1 game doesn't have. It is based on Amiga and Megadrive games of the same name, so the GG is probably the black sheep of the serie here. The rendering engine has this European characteristic of aiming a tad too high in what it is trying to display, with buildings and overpasses adding a nice touch to it.

Thank you for the F1 - WCE rom. Its not so good as i believed, but its nice.

Waiting longingly the Power Drive dump.

Regards from Spain!
Post Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:47 pm
Well, I don't think you'll have too long to wait for Power Drive.... ;o)
Post Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:35 pm
"In any case it is an interesting game to play. Its not great but it has some amount of polish and even a 2-player link mode that the other F1 game doesn't have."

The original F1 (for GG) game has the 2p vs mode.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:51 am
Ah, I may have missed it. I don't have copy of the box here and the game doesn't show such option with emulators not supporting Gear-to-Gear. Can you confirm it?
Post Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:18 pm
If you look close you will see the 1 or 2 player "icon" on the cartridge plus the Gear to Gear "icon" on the manual and the cartridge. Don't have the box of it lost it back in the day, but I did play it 2p mode Gear to Gear back then.
What other games are still missing a dump? I see some of them here that I own for a long time.
f1gg.jpg (28.77 KB)
Original Domark GG F1 game.
f1gg.jpg

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:52 am
Thank you, I have updated the game page accordingly.
I will PM you shortly with a list of the unconfirmed or missing dumps (maybe about 50).
Post Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:54 pm
Ok, I will wait from your PM. In fact check your PM box.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!