Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - N-Sub (SG) variations + Mahjong (SG/JP) variations

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
N-Sub (SG) variations + Mahjong (SG/JP) variations
Post Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:55 pm
Last edited by Bock on Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hello all,

Good work has been done lately on the site: heaps of scans, screenshots and filling of many game release informations among other things. Although we are far from being complete, the new site is steadily heading toward becoming the most exhaustive and accurate base of information about Sega 8-bit stuff. Don't hesitate to browse around and check out the forums to see the work in progress

Today we have three dumps releases for some of the earlier Sega console games:

Mahjong (麻雀) for the SG-1000, in its alternate ROM variation. Being one the earliest SG-1000 game, Mahjong came in up to 4 boxed variations, out of which 2 ROM variations exists. The version are easily distinguishable based on their title screen but they may include other bug fixes. In fact, I would hazard that the size reduction of the "1983" graphic is the result of saving ROM space to add new or data related to an update of the game. The new dump we are releasing today is the one with bigger "1983" graphic and title screen text in english.

Next up we have N-Sub (N-サブ) for the SG-1000, both correct variations of the Japanese dump. The only dump available so far was an unindentified - likely European - hack where the date has been changed from 1983 to 1988. Here we have two dumps, one using a regular 16KB memory and one where the memory map spawn 40KB as like a few other SG-1000 games. We thus labelled them [16k] and [40k] although both contains only 16KB of unique game data. One version has a minor glitch fixed that where the background color wouldn't be reset after a Game Over in certain circumstance. Which version I don't recall, let us know :)
  • Site Admin
Temporary Transitional Attachment Fairy
Post Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:56 pm
This message will auto destruct itself someday.
nsub-16k-sg.zip (7.96 KB)
nsub-40k-sg.zip (8.74 KB)

Post Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:56 pm
why are you so sure the 1988 version is official and not just a stupid hack?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:03 pm
I'm not sure of anything,
"The only dump available so far was an unindentified - likely European - hack where the date has been changed from 1983 to 1988"

But - its a dump I received from Image/Helsinki/Finland who provided countless legit and prototype dumps and as far as I remember no unlegimite/stupid hack.

Now, by definition this dump IS a "hack" since its merely a date change. But it is a hack made back around 1988 by Sega or local distribution company trying to legitimally sell N-Sub in their region? Or a pirate hack also from the same period? Would the earlier be righter than the later? Its difficult to say.

I haven't dumped a cartridge with the 1988 date yet, but admitedly my access to non-Japanese SG-1000/SC-3000 stuff was always small so far.
Post Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:35 pm
thanks for the info. If it indeed comes from a reliable source you'll hopefully be able to confirm it as well anytime.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!