SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - 4 Game Gear prototypes!

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
4 Game Gear prototypes!
Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:03 pm
Happy October continues with our magic stream of releases, and today we have nothing less than 4 Game Gear prototypes dumps! Where do we find those? haha!

1. A prototype of prehistoric Chuck Rock for the Game Gear !

2. A prototype of arabic Defenders of Oasis for the Game Gear ! A good and nicely polished RPG from 1992. Unfortunately the prototype here is 256 kilobytes which is half of the final ROM size - so it is incomplete and bound to crash terribly at some point. But as with the Ax Battler prototype released this week, you can see how the script is different, and perhaps others things too.

3. A prototype of generic Sega Game Pack 4 in 1 for the Game Gear ! Bundled with many European Game Gears. A compilation with Columns, a mini soccer penalty game, a racing game and a tennis game. It's actually a charming package, reminiscent of simple older games and except for the soccer game, the other three are also quite playable.

4. A prototype of tragic Ayrton Senna's Super Monaco GP II for the Game Gear ! Not sure what's different with this dump either.

Those dumps are very old dumps that were until now in the infamous sorting queue and finally out to the public. Enjoy :)
  • Site Admin
Temporary Transitional Attachment Fairy
Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:04 pm
This message will auto destruct itself someday.

Re: Temporary Transitional Attachment Fairy
Post Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:55 pm
Thanks for the releases!

Around a year ago, I put the last unknown password for Chuck Rock on GameFaqs. It was 2FLAF for Infinite Health.

Here are all of the passwords for the prototype:

2FL.W (EDIT: I just noticed that this is Infinite Health and press Start to Skip Levels)
CCCCC (Impossible to input, without hackin' the ROM)
7T09!
NN6E'
84AKU

Also, If anyone is interested, I've recently made a few Game Genie codes for Game Gear at the GameShark Hacker Index (GSHI.org).
Post Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:22 pm
Wow, the tennis game is terrific! Or at least it's easily my favorite of all the Sega 8-bit tennis games I know about. I have a pet theory that many consoles' best tennis games are actually minigames or compilation titles, and this seems to confirm it. (See Monkey Tennis from Super Monkey Ball 2 for GameCube, a seemingly throwaway party game -- you have to unlock it! -- but which is lightyears better than Mario Tennis.)

I'll have to try the released version to see if I notice any differences. I noticed some sound glitches, and the cart also rebooted immediately after I won, but either of those things could be emulator issues.

Anyway, it's a great engine which plays very well -- brisk and tight -- and it feels intuitive and realistic, which is not easy to do. For once, it's possible to ace the computer without resorting to holes in the AI. Lobs, volleys, FH and BH winners, everything clicks and you're able to execute your shots without having to fight the control scheme. And the court feels like a grass court!

Was this code ever used anywhere else, or does this only appear on the Sega Game Pack 4-in-1? Seems like a terrible shame if so, as it could easily have been developed into a standalone title. I don't suppose it supports a 2-player mode via the Link Cable...?
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!