Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Your help please...

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
Your help please...
Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2001 11:49 am
It would be helpful to me if people could look at this text file:

GD3 test

and tell me what they see. Please try various programs - Notepad, Wordpad, your browser, word processor - and report back here... and please tell me your operating system too! I *think* it should work OK on most systems, the problem is, all the systems I have access to already have lots of non-Roman fonts installed so I can't see what happens without them.

Thanks,

Maxim
Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2001 2:45 pm
> It would be helpful to me if people could look at this text file:

> GD3 test

> and tell me what they see. Please try various programs - Notepad, Wordpad, your browser, word processor - and report back here... and please tell me your operating system too! I *think* it should work OK on most systems, the problem is, all the systems I have access to already have lots of non-Roman fonts installed so I can't see what happens without them.

Windows 95b, and in UltraEdit32 with the Terminal Font, I'm seeing it in Hex Editor mode.. it starts with FF FE, which looks like a 2-byte header, because it's not repeated, unlike the 2A 00 which follows it.
There is text, but it's interleaved with 00
It's also pretty much unreadable in Notepad

~unfnknblvbl
Shaka
Re: Image..
Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2001 3:14 pm
Windows 98 2nd Edition.

It looks the same, under Word97, Notepad, Wordpad, or Ie4, here is a pic, while it is readable, its not exactely like i think its supossed to be.. :)

Screenshot

hope this helps..

--Shaka
www.alexkidd.tr.cx

• Site Admin
I think I messed up
Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2001 4:27 pm
I realised afterwards that it would have transferred the file in ASCII mode and thereby destroyed it. It's fixed now:

GD3 test

Here's what I see, for reference:

Maxim
Jonas Persson
Re: I think I messed up
Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2001 7:17 pm
Word97 and NotePad shows just crap. Netscape 6 and WordPad shows characters which looks more Chinese than Japanese to me...

> I realised afterwards that it would have transferred the file in ASCII mode and thereby destroyed it. It's fixed now:

> GD3 test

> Here's what I see, for reference:

>

> Maxim

Shaka
Re: I think I messed up
Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2001 11:29 pm
same thing as my other post..

hey maxim, how do i install those japanese fonts on my computer ?
i use win98 2nd edition br. care enough to teach me that ?

i have samurai showdown 2/3/4 for pc, and the menus are in japanese, which is hard to read, and messed up.. maybe if i install the fonts, i can run it ?

i know it is ot, sorry..

--Shaka
www.alexkidd.tr.cx

> I realised afterwards that it would have transferred the file in ASCII mode and thereby destroyed it. It's fixed now:

> GD3 test

> Here's what I see, for reference:

>

> Maxim

• Site Admin
(OT) Japanese text
Post Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2001 8:55 am
> same thing as my other post..

Bah. I thought I had this one nailed, getting around MS's stupidity. It seems I don't :(

> hey maxim, how do i install those japanese fonts on my computer ?
> i use win98 2nd edition br. care enough to teach me that ?

Hmm... well, in IE, you can choose to install various language packs (allowing you to see, if not read, Japanese web pages). I think that gives you the necessary fonts, and IE should then display that file properly.

> i have samurai showdown 2/3/4 for pc, and the menus are in japanese, which is hard to read, and messed up.. maybe if i install the fonts, i can run it ?

Nope. You need a copy of Windows which can understand the way the text is encoded - Japanese, Chinese, Korean etc have more than 256 letters in their alphabets, so there's a problem with the way PCs store text as single bytes. Back in the days when storage was much more pricey, it made sense not to switch to 2 bytes per character, instead to store text as a mixture of 1 or 2 bytes per character - Multiple Byte Character Sets (MBCS). The effect of this is, if your copy of Windows is not coded to look for the special bytes indicating a non-ASCII character, it will just display it as jumbled up text like this: $B%9%Z!<%9%O%j%"!. Even worse, if the program relies on certain functions built in to those versions of Windows, the text might be "translated" to something like "??????"... if it's the former, there is a way. There are programs which can intercept the text being drawn on the screen, and do the necessary translation. They can also convert text when you enter it. If you're interested, look for "NJStar Communicator" or "Dr. Eye" on certain disreputable websites...

Maxim
  • Site Admin
Bah, I broke it
Post Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2001 8:56 am
There was a less-than in that JIS text I pasted... which ate half my post :(

> > same thing as my other post..

> Bah. I thought I had this one nailed, getting around MS's stupidity. It seems I don't :(

> > hey maxim, how do i install those japanese fonts on my computer ?
> > i use win98 2nd edition br. care enough to teach me that ?

> Hmm... well, in IE, you can choose to install various language packs (allowing you to see, if not read, Japanese web pages). I think that gives you the necessary fonts, and IE should then display that file properly.

> > i have samurai showdown 2/3/4 for pc, and the menus are in japanese, which is hard to read, and messed up.. maybe if i install the fonts, i can run it ?

> Nope. You need a copy of Windows which can understand the way the text is encoded - Japanese, Chinese, Korean etc have more than 256 letters in their alphabets, so there's a problem with the way PCs store text as single bytes. Back in the days when storage was much more pricey, it made sense not to switch to 2 bytes per character, instead to store text as a mixture of 1 or 2 bytes per character - Multiple Byte Character Sets (MBCS). The effect of this is, if your copy of Windows is not coded to look for the special bytes indicating a non-ASCII character, it will just display it as jumbled up text like this: $B%9%Z!%9%O%j%"!. Even worse, if the program relies on certain functions built in to those versions of Windows, the text might be "translated" to something like "??????"... if it's the former, there is a way. There are programs which can intercept the text being drawn on the screen, and do the necessary translation. They can also convert text when you enter it. If you're interested, look for "NJStar Communicator" or "Dr. Eye" on certain disreputable websites...

> Maxim
  • Site Admin
Worked with netscape, Maxim :P *nt*
Post Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2001 9:24 am
> There was a less-than in that JIS text I pasted... which ate half my post :(

> > > same thing as my other post..

> > Bah. I thought I had this one nailed, getting around MS's stupidity. It seems I don't :(

> > > hey maxim, how do i install those japanese fonts on my computer ?
> > > i use win98 2nd edition br. care enough to teach me that ?

> > Hmm... well, in IE, you can choose to install various language packs (allowing you to see, if not read, Japanese web pages). I think that gives you the necessary fonts, and IE should then display that file properly.

> > > i have samurai showdown 2/3/4 for pc, and the menus are in japanese, which is hard to read, and messed up.. maybe if i install the fonts, i can run it ?

> > Nope. You need a copy of Windows which can understand the way the text is encoded - Japanese, Chinese, Korean etc have more than 256 letters in their alphabets, so there's a problem with the way PCs store text as single bytes. Back in the days when storage was much more pricey, it made sense not to switch to 2 bytes per character, instead to store text as a mixture of 1 or 2 bytes per character - Multiple Byte Character Sets (MBCS). The effect of this is, if your copy of Windows is not coded to look for the special bytes indicating a non-ASCII character, it will just display it as jumbled up text like this: $B%9%Z!%9%O%j%"!. Even worse, if the program relies on certain functions built in to those versions of Windows, the text might be "translated" to something like "??????"... if it's the former, there is a way. There are programs which can intercept the text being drawn on the screen, and do the necessary translation. They can also convert text when you enter it. If you're interested, look for "NJStar Communicator" or "Dr. Eye" on certain disreputable websites...

> > Maxim
  • Site Admin
OK, last try...
Post Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2001 9:35 am
GD3 test (Unicode HTML)

GD3 test (Unicode UTF-8)

Now then... try this (in your browser, obviously). If you have IE, look on View - Encoding and see what it says. If you have a crumbly old copy of Netscape, good luck to you, and it's the 21st century now, you know? If you have Opera, well done for being different to everyone else. If you use Lynx, I think it might not work...

Maxim
Jonas Persson
Re: OK, last try...
Post Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2001 1:16 pm
In IE it displays squares with both files (regardless of the language encoding (Unicode UTF-8 is checked)) and in Netscape 6 it's question marks.
I use Win ME.

/Jonte

> GD3 test (Unicode HTML)

> GD3 test (Unicode UTF-8)

> Now then... try this (in your browser, obviously). If you have IE, look on View - Encoding and see what it says. If you have a crumbly old copy of Netscape, good luck to you, and it's the 21st century now, you know? If you have Opera, well done for being different to everyone else. If you use Lynx, I think it might not work...

> Maxim

Jonas Persson
Re: OK, last try...
Post Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2001 1:17 pm
In IE it displays squares with both files (regardless of the language encoding (Unicode UTF-8 is checked)) and in Netscape 6 it's question marks.
I use Win ME.

/Jonte

> GD3 test (Unicode HTML)

> GD3 test (Unicode UTF-8)

> Now then... try this (in your browser, obviously). If you have IE, look on View - Encoding and see what it says. If you have a crumbly old copy of Netscape, good luck to you, and it's the 21st century now, you know? If you have Opera, well done for being different to everyone else. If you use Lynx, I think it might not work...

> Maxim

Shaka
same here, using ie4, win98 -nt-
Post Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2001 3:34 pm
> In IE it displays squares with both files (regardless of the language encoding (Unicode UTF-8 is checked)) and in Netscape 6 it's question marks.
> I use Win ME.

> /Jonte

> > GD3 test (Unicode HTML)

> > GD3 test (Unicode UTF-8)

> > Now then... try this (in your browser, obviously). If you have IE, look on View - Encoding and see what it says. If you have a crumbly old copy of Netscape, good luck to you, and it's the 21st century now, you know? If you have Opera, well done for being different to everyone else. If you use Lynx, I think it might not work...

> > Maxim

• Site Admin
OK, I give up...
Post Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2001 8:36 pm
> > In IE it displays squares with both files (regardless of the language encoding (Unicode UTF-8 is checked)) and in Netscape 6 it's question marks.
> > I use Win ME.

NS is relying on MS's "missing" functions, and IE is lacking the proper fonts. I was hoping the UTF-8 page might trigger a auto-update in IE but it seems not. OK, unless I can find a conversion library, I'll have to give up on this :( since MS's solution is not reasonable. It's official: to see Japanese text in VGM tags you'll need Windows 2000 or XP.

Maxim
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2001 8:55 pm
> NS is relying on MS's "missing" functions, and IE is lacking the proper fonts. I was hoping the UTF-8 page might trigger a auto-update in IE but it seems not. OK, unless I can find a conversion library, I'll have to give up on this :( since MS's solution is not reasonable. It's official: to see Japanese text in VGM tags you'll need Windows 2000 or XP.

Or any other Windows, properly configured for Japanese.
Like, a Japanese Windows..
  • Site Admin
Nope
Post Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2001 10:46 am
> > NS is relying on MS's "missing" functions, and IE is lacking the proper fonts. I was hoping the UTF-8 page might trigger a auto-update in IE but it seems not. OK, unless I can find a conversion library, I'll have to give up on this :( since MS's solution is not reasonable. It's official: to see Japanese text in VGM tags you'll need Windows 2000 or XP.

> Or any other Windows, properly configured for Japanese.
> Like, a Japanese Windows..

The (few) reports I've had have said that under Japanese Windows, it doesn't work. Can anyone with Japanese Windows confirm this for me?

Maxim
Limbs a Flyin'
sucess for me!
Post Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2001 4:02 pm
i couldnt get the previous tests to work well anywhere, but these 2 html test look fine on this Win95(original upgrade - eek :) and IE 5.00.etc (lots of insignificant numbers!) with encoding on 'auto select and a bullet next to Western european(windows).

the UTF-8 version works for me under Netscape 6.2 (Netscape 6.2
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win95; en-GB; rv:0.9.4) Gecko/20011019 Netscape6/6.2) but the HTML version was an interleave of squares and letters like others suggest

Limbs a Flyin'
oops shoulda paid closer attention
Post Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2001 4:06 pm
under IE the HTML version gives me a bullet next to 'left-to-right document' while the utf8 has that bullet as well as one next to Unicode (UTF-8). so im guess thats what you were aiming for?

• Site Admin
Re: oops shoulda paid closer attention
Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2001 11:34 am
> under IE the HTML version gives me a bullet next to 'left-to-right document' while the utf8 has that bullet as well as one next to Unicode (UTF-8). so im guess thats what you were aiming for?

The "HTML version" is actually a completely Unicode file - the browser should read the first 2 bytes, and say "It's Unicode", and know not to display hundreds of squares everywhere. The UTF-8 one is like plain ASCII with Unicode enhancements, which enables a stupid browser to understand a META tag telling it it's UTF-8 - I went to babel.altavista.com, which I remembered is Unicode and should be pretty compatible, and copied how they did it. Problem is, I don't know how to convert Unicode to UTF-8... waah! But I have another option, it seems. If you could visit this page and see what happens... maybe that'll work, since it's part of the HTML 4.0 standard and also in plain ASCII.

Oh, and thanks to you guys for helping :) it's very helpful to me.

Maxim
Limbs a Flyin'
results
Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2001 1:22 pm
IE5.00.2919.6307 | Gecko/20011019 Netscape6/6.2

arabic = bad|bad
catalan = good |good
Chinese (Simplified) =good|good
Chinese (Traditional = bad|good
danish = good|good
dutch =good|good
english =good|good
esperanto = almost|almost
finnish=good|good
french = good|good
gregorian=bad|bad
german=good|good
hebrew=bad|bad
hungarian=almost|almost
irish/gaelic=good|good
italian=good|good
japanese=good|good
korean=bad|bad
Norwegian (Bokmål=good|good
Norwegian (Nynorsk=good|good
Occitan =good|good
Portuguese (Brazil=good|good
Portuguese (Portugal=good|good
Romanian =almost|almost
Russian =good|good
Slovenian =almost|almost
spanish=good|good
swedish=good|good
yiddish=bad|bad

good=looks fine
almost=looks fine but few characters are squares in IE, characters are in bold print in Netscape(dunno if they are the right characters)
bad=squares in IE, question marks in netscape - except for a few numbers and sometimes the word' Unicode' (no translation for that?)

• Site Admin
Great (maybe)
Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2001 4:51 pm
> japanese=good|good

I should have said that's the only one I'm interested in :) The rest, well, I see more than you although I've never knowingly installed Hebrew text support in IE... anyone else care to try it and see what they get?

Maxim
Shaka
results...
Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2001 1:59 am
Ie 4.0 | Netscape 4.51

japanese=bad| can see like 10% of jap characters, the rest is question marks

i have never installed anything hebrew or arabic and i can see that too..

--Shaka

Hex125
Re: Nope
Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2001 6:19 pm
> > > NS is relying on MS's "missing" functions, and IE is lacking the proper fonts. I was hoping the UTF-8 page might trigger a auto-update in IE but it seems not. OK, unless I can find a conversion library, I'll have to give up on this :( since MS's solution is not reasonable. It's official: to see Japanese text in VGM tags you'll need Windows 2000 or XP.

> > Or any other Windows, properly configured for Japanese.
> > Like, a Japanese Windows..

> The (few) reports I've had have said that under Japanese Windows, it doesn't work. Can anyone with Japanese Windows confirm this for me?

> Maxim

Hi.

I use Win98SE Japanese version.
Except first GD3 test, All html version are displayed correctly on IE5.
for your information :)

maran
Re: (OT) Japanese text
Post Posted: Tue May 28, 2002 3:09 pm
> > same thing as my other post..

> Bah. I thought I had this one nailed, getting around MS's stupidity. It seems I don't :(

> > hey maxim, how do i install those japanese fonts on my computer ?
> > i use win98 2nd edition br. care enough to teach me that ?

> Hmm... well, in IE, you can choose to install various language packs (allowing you to see, if not read, Japanese web pages). I think that gives you the necessary fonts, and IE should then display that file properly.

> > i have samurai showdown 2/3/4 for pc, and the menus are in japanese, which is hard to read, and messed up.. maybe if i install the fonts, i can run it ?

> Nope. You need a copy of Windows which can understand the way the text is encoded - Japanese, Chinese, Korean etc have more than 256 letters in their alphabets, so there's a problem with the way PCs store text as single bytes. Back in the days when storage was much more pricey, it made sense not to switch to 2 bytes per character, instead to store text as a mixture of 1 or 2 bytes per character - Multiple Byte Character Sets (MBCS). The effect of this is, if your copy of Windows is not coded to look for the special bytes indicating a non-ASCII character, it will just display it as jumbled up text like this: $B%9%Z!<%9%O%j%"!. Even worse, if the program relies on certain functions built in to those versions of Windows, the text might be "translated" to something like "??????"... if it's the former, there is a way. There are programs which can intercept the text being drawn on the screen, and do the necessary translation. They can also convert text when you enter it. If you're interested, look for "NJStar Communicator" or "Dr. Eye" on certain disreputable websites...

> Maxim

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!