Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - way to use Game Gear 2-player and only 1 cartridge

Reply to topic
Stilton
way to use Game Gear 2-player and only 1 cartridge
Post Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2001 12:24 am
Here's a naive question for all the technical whizzes out there:

Would it be possible to hook up a single GG cartridge to 2 Game Gears to get 2-player play? I had in mind building a basic cartridge "splitter" that could be plugged into the 2 GG's and into which you could plug the game cartridge. Is this feasible?

I'm thinking some outfit like Naki would have already made one if it were, but, it's worth a shot... Plus I am getting an old-beat up GG to experiment with...

Post Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2001 5:26 am
> Here's a naive question for all the technical whizzes out there:

> Would it be possible to hook up a single GG cartridge to 2 Game Gears to get 2-player play? I had in mind building a basic cartridge "splitter" that could be plugged into the 2 GG's and into which you could plug the game cartridge. Is this feasible?

> I'm thinking some outfit like Naki would have already made one if it were, but, it's worth a shot... Plus I am getting an old-beat up GG to experiment with...

It seems unlikely, as the cartridge would need to have "dual-ported" memory (which no current GG cartridges have). The ROM would need the capability of being addressed with two addresses, and delivering two different bytes of data, each to the correct GG system.

OR, you'd need to keep the Game Gears in perfect synchronization and have the ROM deliver the same data to both GGs at the same time (of course then both GG would execute exactly the same code making them clones, and not very useful for 2-player games). Again, this is a technically challenging (if not impossible) feat.

--
Eric Quinn
Sort of...
Post Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2001 7:23 am
> Here's a naive question for all the technical whizzes out there:

> Would it be possible to hook up a single GG cartridge to 2 Game Gears to get 2-player play? I had in mind building a basic cartridge "splitter" that could be plugged into the 2 GG's and into which you could plug the game cartridge. Is this feasible?

> I'm thinking some outfit like Naki would have already made one if it were, but, it's worth a shot... Plus I am getting an old-beat up GG to experiment with...

As Eric says you can't address a single cartridge from multiple systems. The only way to implement a splitter would be to have the device copy the entire contents of one cartridge into SRAM or similar, which would then be addressed by one of the GGs while the other addressed the original ROM.

See my SMSReader page for an approach to building an SRAM-based cartridge.

Mike
Keilin Silverfox
Re: Sort of...
Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2001 8:45 am
> > Here's a naive question for all the technical whizzes out there:

> > Would it be possible to hook up a single GG cartridge to 2 Game Gears to get 2-player play? I had in mind building a basic cartridge "splitter" that could be plugged into the 2 GG's and into which you could plug the game cartridge. Is this feasible?

> > I'm thinking some outfit like Naki would have already made one if it were, but, it's worth a shot... Plus I am getting an old-beat up GG to experiment with...

> As Eric says you can't address a single cartridge from multiple systems. The only way to implement a splitter would be to have the device copy the entire contents of one cartridge into SRAM or similar, which would then be addressed by one of the GGs while the other addressed the original ROM.

> See my SMSReader page for an approach to building an SRAM-based cartridge.

> Mike

I remember seeing an advert once from Innovation selling an adaptor that let you hook a Genesis controller up to the link port of the Game Gear. There were a few other interesting things in the advert too, like an SF2 clone called "Master Fighter" (which claimed compatibility with said adaptor?) Whether or not this actually sold, or was just more innovation vaporware is beyond me, but I recently got ahold of a pirate cart of SF2 from Korea, and I recognize some of the background graphics as being from the screenshot of Master Fighter (anyone ever even see this game?)

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!