SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Proposal to SDSC

Reply to topic
Guangling_san
Proposal to SDSC
Post Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2001 6:19 pm
I suggest that the SDSC should think about creating a SMS development kit. This kit would have routines for
sound, vdp, etc... I really think it would cause a "boom" in SMS development.
Is someone already working on this?

Daniel Eriksson
That is a really good idea!
Post Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2001 8:00 pm
That is a really good idea!
I hope someone make something like that.
An SMS development kit would be great.

Re: That is a really good idea!
Post Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2001 9:44 pm
> That is a really good idea!
> I hope someone make something like that.
> An SMS development kit would be great.

Yes, it is a good idea. The idea of a SMS development kit has been floating around for a while, and one goal I have for the SDSC is to lay the groundwork for the creation of such a tool. First, though, we need to start defining a development environment (which will probably be centered around WLA-DX) for which the code library can be created. Everyone is of course welcome to submit any proposals they have for the development environment or library. I will also hopefully be working on some documents for WLA-DX.

--
Eric Quinn
Post Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2001 9:56 pm
I don't think there are many things we can do for a development kit, since for sure programming will be in assembly and not a high level language.

We can provides:
- An include file with a bunch of definitions
- A bunch of little functions, video/psg/miscellaneous
- Maybe some slighty bigger things, like a PSG player running in interrupts, etc (i can provides mine but it sucks)
- Exemples
- And various tools

But this is actually not much.
I think having lots of small exemples using the same, shared functions, could dramatically help in getting new developers.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2001 1:09 am
> I don't think there are many things we can do for a development kit, since for sure programming will be in assembly and not a high level language.

I would think, but did you notice how many Y2Kode entries were written in C? The DC stuff and all I can understand, but GBC and PCE? Weird.

Libraries might be good, at least a 'training wheels' library at first.. not that I'd be likely to use them.

But there's a lot more than should probably be worked on first before libraries come into play. For one thing there's more HW research to do.
PolestaR
HardWare Research and Development Dollars
Post Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2001 2:22 am
Haha.
Anyways I was thinking the other night about those two sexy unused VDP registers #3 and #4. Maybe they are used for certain things when the SMS VDP is in TMS9918 modes, like to set Colormap address or something. And what about that Spiderman Return of the Sinister6 game which writes to VDp registers over 10. Maybe they thought they should clear all 16 vDp registers. Why does the SMS have 16 vdp registers anyway if it does?
Thoughts for value, think about it.
-Jason Starr-

Kaneda
Post Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2001 7:35 am
> > I don't think there are many things we can do for a development kit, since for sure programming will be in assembly and not a high level language.
> I would think, but did you notice how many Y2Kode entries were written in C? The DC stuff and all I can understand, but GBC and PCE? Weird.

Genesis too is written in C :)

Kaneda

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!